Looking for a boat.

phil2

Been out trolling with my ranger gets the job done on calmer days. I have been catching some 7 kings one brown and a laker for four trips. can only run 4 rods. Been looking to up grade to a trailer able boat that I can pull with a 1500 and when there are 4ftrs I don't have to sit on the bank. Looked at Thompson 240 love it but seems to look top heavy. Prices are reasonable. Who has one and are they a boat that I can drag to ocean, shallower river ramps, not get stuck on one body of water.thanks

21' penn yans are heavier but not double. Still easily trailer able and more roomie in my opinion. I've fished both. Any trolling boat is going to be wind drifty since they sit higher out of the water. Heavier boat less drift I would assume. I am bias though and fish a 21' yann.

Don't be afraid of a Thompson as long as the stringers and transom are in good shape.

I've fished out of a friends Thompson 240 several times in some ugly water and they handle it well, like a tank. They actually have a fairly low center of gravity and are pretty stable with very deep gunnels since the floor is at water level. I would imagine they would be at the upper limit of what you could trailer with a 1500. I'm pulling a 25' Penn Yan with a 2500 and I know it's back there.

You should pm Tim Bromund, he ran a Thompson for years and has an islander now so he can probably give you the pros and cons of both.

I own a 221 islander hard top . It's a great all around boat and good starter boat . I fish striped bass on the Hudson and salmon on the Great Lake with others in between .

It won't be my last boat , I hope . The pros are weight at 1,800 lbs for towing and with suffecient room to fish 4 adults (5 gets tight IMO ) and sleep 2, we have done 3.

To me it's a good working mans weekender big boat . Easily maintained and portable .

Now with that said , I'm looking to upgrade to a Great Lakes boat only

My wife wants a cabin she can stand up in , I want a more stable ,wider and heavier boat for the Great Lake .

We have lots of family and I prefer to pay a dock fee for the season and stay on the boat ( which I do now ) rather then towing all around and having to camp on land . It just works out as a savings on my end which is why I'm trying to convince the wife I need a bigger boat , lol

Good luck and hope you find a great boat

Rich

Ps. I owned a 18' ranger bass boat for years and the wife wanted nothing to do with going on it after I dove under a couple waves with the bow . I used to do bass tourneys . For me selling that boat and buying my islander was one of my better days :)

Edited by Rich s

I do lake george and Hudson also. I used to go to lake o allot got into doing some flw and bass tournaments. Now I'm having fun got my 30 lb striper this year out of the ranger and 6 kings acouple of weeks ago. I can't complain

I love my Islander. I have a 191. Tow it with a GMC Sonoma. If you can find a 22 with the 4.3 and a kicker, you will be set for many years. I have the 3.0 and troll Lake O for less than $20 a day. It's easy to launch and recover. I was on Erie when the forcast was 2 footers with occasional 4s. What a load of bs. We were off point Abino in 4s with occasional 5s. Never had a bit of worry in my Islander. If you want a great trailerable fishing boat you can't beat the Islander. They are also easy to maintain. I bought my Islander after taking water over the bow of the bow rider that I started fishing in.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by yabmob

I just happen to see this up the road from my house . I don't know any details but could easily find out .

It's a 1988 22' Lund aluminum with an I/O . The hull and outter look in good shape but I'd guess it is in need of some repairs of sort , maybe .

Asking price was $2,500. It's located in Columbia county ny

post-155543-0-15044000-1471900222_thumb.jpeg

post-155543-0-08716000-1471900279_thumb.jpeg

Rich