paddles for staging kings

Dave -As the season moves on it may pay to switch to the real bright colored larger paddles with active bright or glow spoons, J-plugs etc and try to provoke them because their feeding response is greatly reduced at this point. I also discovered in the past that they will hit the smaller paddles themselves rather than the lures when in this state and they have you scratching your head wondering why no hook up but with the large paddles it doesn't seem as frequent and they seem to target the lure better. Also running things closer to the ball than usual can be productive.

Try those Moonshine flies with the big willow leaf spinner blade this time of year, too.  Anything to add more flash to aggravate them into striking.  Those fall fish always seem like they have way more fight in them, too!!  Ed Ball and I did really well a few years back with bright glow 8" paddles and meat rigs off the shallow riggers, too.  Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I fish out of my kayak and troll for salmon in 10-15 fow in front of tributaries and have done the best with floating stickbaits (rapalas and thundersticks)  that run to 10' max.   This year I am going to try to do some night trolling and planning on using some glow j-plugs and spoons flat- lining

I did the flat lining at nighttime thing for a few years with one of those single pontoon boats. LOTS of fun. Made a few rod holders from PVC and rowed and rowed. Best night had 3 in just a few hours pulling spoons and j-plugs. No need to see your rod even when you hear the reel scream it's game on.

Made sure I had a good light as I certainly wasn't the only one out there.

almost the size of a paddle, see if you can get your hands on some 6.5" Big 'Ern spoons next time you are up in Canada. Bright colors like a fire tiger will work. Short wave tackle in Port Credit has some. Closest spoon to those are the Tomic 6" spoon and the Northport nailer super mag 5.5"

Edited by Gill-T