Spoon Rigging Questions

To make the most of your spread try a cheater line. Tie a leader up about 8 foot long with snap swivels on both ends. After you've done that rig your main line. Send it down roughly 8-10 foot and tie a rubber band to your main line and run your newly tied leader through the rubber band and clip it to your main line above your rubber band and send it down to your desired depth. Only do this with a spoon. Hope this helps increase your odds

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

To make the most of your spread try a cheater line. Tie a leader up about 8 foot long with snap swivels on both ends. After you've done that rig your main line. Send it down roughly 8-10 foot and tie a rubber band to your main line and run your newly tied leader through the rubber band and clip it to your main line above your rubber band and send it down to your desired depth. Only do this with a spoon. Hope this helps increase your odds

Thanks for the tips. Last weekend I ran some spoons off 2 riggers without flashers. 15ft above the spoon I attached one of those Dream Weaver sticker stackers with a swivel attached to another spoon. We weren't marking a bunch of fish but when I brought the riggers up to change colors I found my cheater line twisted around the main line. I had the cheater spoon attached to a swivel, but it twisted anyway. The spoon on the end of the main line was also on a swivel in hopes of the lines not twisting. I was running all four riggers with wingers on the outside riggers. I had no tangles at all, just the cheater lines twisted around the main line that they were attached to. The cheater lines were 5-6ft long.

Looks like I'll have to pick up some rubber bands so I can have a swivel on both ends of the cheater.

Edited by Todd in NY

He can go to ranger school get his associates with a 1 + 1 and it's a SUNY school. A lot smaller class and they structure it alot more like a job. Almost impossible to get off track. I got my associates in forestry there. Nice because they graduate under 100 kids very close relationship with the teachers.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Try running floro carbon. I run 20lb run your leader about 10 foot

Is there any particular brand of flouro I should stay away from? I've been hesitant to use leaders longer than 6 feet because I have the fully enclosed "bulkhead" cabin on my 2160, which doesn't allow as much room for netting a fish on longer leaders. I can't back into the cabin to bring the fish closer to the boat.

post-142578-0-53039300-1472728820_thumb.jpg

I used braided line for a few years on my bass rods (nearly 15 years ago) and didn't notice any improvement in my catch rate, so I went back to mono. I have never lost a fish when using the Berkeley Big Game mono, so that's what I use on all my rods. I've also never had a knot come loose with with it either. I know other lines have their advantages but I fish for fun, and I don't get paid to fish. Keeping things simple helps keep fishing in my budget.

I'll pick up some 20lb Seaguar flouro so I can try it out. Thanks!

Edited by Todd in NY

You want to go as low as you can. In the spring we drop as low as 6 or 8lb test. The lighter the line the better the lure action. We are

talking rigger rods only. If you are running wire you need to up the

size because the main line has no stretch. In the finger lakes I

never go higher than 15 pound leader if the water is murky and 12 if it is clear. I run 20lb leader on my rigger rods for salmon in Lake O.

A few

years ago we were fishing lake O all day with no luck. Huge schools of fish and many boats with no nets going over the side. I had one of

my finger lakes rods stowed below deck and decided to get it out and

give it a try. We landed 7 fish in the next few hours on that rod with 8 lb test including 2 salmon, a rainbow, and a couple lakers. My

point is size matters and you can catch large fish on light line as

long as you sre not in combat fishing mode

Wes makes some good points here. The line diameter can be especially important for browns in clear water conditions. Stay away from the Vanish and Vicious brands of fluoro The Vanish especially has low to no knot strength.

Edited by Sk8man