good taxidermist

Of the ten fish in the dead animal room, six different taxidermists. Some are definitely better than others.

Take good pics and share them with your taxidermist. Think about how you want your fish posed. Also discuss how long it will take to complete. I brought a big bow my then 6 year old caught only to get it back when he was almost 9.

Good conversation will hopefully avoid disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I should have had a replica done I guess. Mine is booking. Has clear coat drops on fins. The fins on top of the fish do not line up with the tail and the tail is not fanned out or was freezer burned off. Too small. Looks wrong.

To her credit she offered to look at it but what really can be done at this point?

I should have had a replica done I guess. Mine is booking. Has clear coat drops on fins. The fins on top of the fish do not line up with the tail and the tail is not fanned out or was freezer burned off. Too small. Looks wrong.

To her credit she offered to look at it but what really can be done at this point?

Mine were both skin mounts.  Some of the bottom fins aren't great.  She does put a lot of clear coat on them so it is a matter of preference.  There are no drips on mine as I could see.  

Nemesis that can be fixed I did taxidermy for awhile but haven't in a long time now. You can't do anything about the fins lining up but tail should be able to be enlarged and repainted. It may not be a 2 minute job but shouldn't have left the shop like that especially the drops of clear coat. I have seen her work and I will say this is the first that wasn't a beautiful job.

Edited by Firechief48

Nemesis that can be fixed I did taxidermy for awhile but haven't in a long time now. You can't do anything about the fins lining up but tail should be able to be enlarged and repainted. It may not be a 2 minute job but shouldn't have left the shop like that especially the drops of clear coat. I have seen her work and I will say this is the first that wasn't a beautiful job.

I would very much disagree that this can be made to look good.

Not gonna happen, better to start from scratch on a really good replica!

I'm speaking from 42 years experience of being a full time fish artist with over 7,500 under my belt

Nemesis I don't know how far you would like to take it meaning looking for compensation but you can order one yourself to the size you want and have it painted. Van Dykes and Dan Chase are the ones we used to use but there are others.

I second Fran at Animal Art in Mexico. Fran has always done good work for me and my friends. I had a 16" Crappie done at Fish Wish and while I have seen good work that she does, my Crappie looks terrible and nothing like the fish that I caught. The girth coming up above the head is cut off straight to the dorsal fin... Very disappointed in the work. I wouldn't go back, Fran is the guy I use.

58cfc5d9a322ab4ec99cf58b87bae927.jpgcbaca29751cadeedfa4eafaa48cd016a.jpg

Edited by HuntNY