Coyotes and Fox 2016/2017

whaler1

PAP, That's crazy! What's to be gained by doing something like that other than killing off the yotes? Stoneam2006 brings up a very good point. All it takes is 1 anti with a camera & it would have been front page news!That's all your brother needed in his condition. What if he was alone? Caught in that mess. God Lord knows when someone else may have happened by & heard his screams considering it was January!We had a problem on a similar line down our way with poaching turkeys. Some piece of crap would (I hope this doesn't give anyone ideas) take heavy duty fishing line (100lb test or better) & put small treble hooks on it with corn on the hooks. The turkey would swallow the corn &....... I swore if I ever found out who was doing it I'd go to the fullest extent to make sure they were arrested. Not sure if they ever found out who was doing it. As fast as it started it stopped.

It takes all kind, I heard through the grapevine that, the Pa. Game comm. brought coyotes into this area to keep the deer population down, at the time if you didn't shoot a deer either your blind or you never got out of your heated, motorized tree stand, I mean they offered up to 3 doe tags, I was told that there was 3 major insurance companies footing this bill. Well it worked because if don't do your homework during the summer, your hard pressed to shoot a deer around here anymore. It took 10'years but they managed to make the deer pretty damn scarce, and it got so built up around here, 1 crack of the barrel and all the deer are in the developments, then they are safe, they won't leave their safety zone till it settles down. Oh by the way my brother lost the battle with cancer, 2 years ago this month. I had it made with him, I can't get around anymore, after 3 back surgeries later, I don't trust going by myself anymore.

Edited by pap

It takes all kind, I heard through the grapevine that, the Pa. Game comm. brought coyotes into this area to keep the deer population down, at the time if you didn't shoot a deer either your blind or you never got out of your heated, motorized tree stand, I mean they offered up to 3 doe tags, I was told that there was 3 major insurance companies footing this bill. Well it worked because if don't do your homework during the summer, your hard pressed to shoot a deer around here anymore. It took 10'years but they managed to make the deer pretty damn scarce, and it got so built up around here, 1 crack of the barrel and all the deer are in the developments, then they are safe, they won't leave their safety zone till it settles down.

That's what happens around the stateland in the fingerlakes too....but that's a topic for another long thread

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That's what happens around the stateland in the fingerlakes too....but that's a topic for another long thread

I agree 100%. That's been the talk on this part of the state as well.

I'm not trying to bash anybody for using snares....but I don't want them in my woods or any state land near me. And under ideal situations they can be fairly safe. But let's not pretend the general public is responsible enough to use them near civilization. Beaver under ice not really a concern. Any setting on dry land is a threat to my dog. On your land. Do as you wish. But don't think even implying that somebody set them in NY won't get you some quarrels. My dog wears a GPS tracking collar and a shock collar and won't be allowed to run where its not allowed. But that does not mean that dogs have not been caught in snares where snares should not have been. I wish there were more trappers around like there used to be but its hard for them here and snares will not help you here in NY unless you want to end trapping faster. And me being a new person here on this forum has nothing to do with how I feel. And it doesn't make what I say less important. Snares are not legal here. They probably never will be, and you should not recommend them to anybody who lives in this state.

I'm not trying to bash anybody for using snares....but I don't want them in my woods or any state land near me. And under ideal situations they can be fairly safe. But let's not pretend the general public is responsible enough to use them near civilization. Beaver under ice not really a concern. Any setting on dry land is a threat to my dog. On your land. Do as you wish. But don't think even implying that somebody set them in NY won't get you some quarrels. My dog wears a GPS tracking collar and a shock collar and won't be allowed to run where its not allowed. But that does not mean that dogs have not been caught in snares where snares should not have been. I wish there were more trappers around like there used to be but its hard for them here and snares will not help you here in NY unless you want to end trapping faster. And me being a new person here on this forum has nothing to do with how I feel. And it doesn't make what I say less important. Snares are not legal here. They probably never will be, and you should not recommend them to anybody who lives in this state.

As said above cable restrains and snares are 2 different things. As a die hard trapper I do believe we will see slow introduction of cable restraints on land maybe a limited season or something but I do think it's commin eventually. And I think the realistic harm to your pup is very very small.

Not as informed about restraints as some here..I'm sure they will stop by

Even trappers have the same right to be on public land. I get to be just as upset about a dog ruining a good trap set legally or cable restraint set legally as the guy who has the dog. Trappers try to be careful of dogs , so why cant dogs be careful of my traps or cable restraint?

And just because someone is new on the forum doesnt mean they cant rant on and on about something they dont know about showing no respect, please except our apologies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Even trappers have the same right to be on public land. I get to be just as upset about a dog ruining a good trap set legally or cable restraint set legally as the guy who has the dog. Trappers try to be careful of dogs , so why cant dogs be careful of my traps or cable restraint?

And just because someone is new on the forum doesnt mean they cant rant on and on about something they dont know about showing no respect, please except our apologies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

As a trapper that's as true as it gets. I purposely set as far away from human sign as possible at all times even if it's not as good of a location.

Skinny420: Of all the places I thought I would have to defend my sport to someone I didn't think it would be on an outdoor Fishing & Hunting forum. You have as much right to your views as anyone else. But please try to keep an open mind to all the views mentioned on this site. We all pay our license fees & all have the same right to use the public ground that we all purchased thru the license's we buy.

Wishinfishin, your a good man with an open mind, I know who you were referring to with the statement, "just because he's a newbie, doesn't mean he doesn't have the right to rant like an ass" I take no offense to that,so carry on. In your post you spoke for us all of us. Please accept "our" apologies?? I'm not. Again I take no offense to you personally, so no sweat put your paper towel down. I joined this site in 2012, one or two things I learned about people is my generation see's life through a whole different pair of glasses. I learned that there are times you need to hold your tongue. In the beginning I would of never thought in my wildest dreams that there is so many tree huggers, anti kill people in this world!! One of the reasons I'll survive off the land while many will starve to death, if this countries power or "processed foods, and frozen dinners ever come to an end!!! This guy needs to think twice and speak once. I have no apologies for this guy, do I dislike him no, probably buy him a beer in a hotel once he calms down. Truce men and carry on!!! This is a great thread so let's keep it going!! Your friend the PAP.

I have been traping since 94 off and on. Not much lately but was a fanatic as a kid. Just don't have the time cause I know what it takes to run even a little line. I remember the coon bmp's when everybody was arguing about that. A victor with baseplates, 4 coils, laminated and offset jaws with new chain and swivels like the BMPs advised is indeed $20. I live die for the outdoors. The facts are that I live near Olcott NY and feel a lot of eyes on this site are from my area....or even Canada. None of the land that touches lake Ontario is open to snaring. And change it now but go back. It was called snaring in the begining of this all and not till I said how I felt did you all say restraint and jump on me for daring to ever say anything when the person who pushed the snares in the begining was recomending somebody who lives near me try them out. And when the guy who recommends trying snares says he has caught lots of deer and some just die. OK you think that's not an issue. He caught 2 coyotes and apparently more than 2 deer. Nobody calls him ignorant and says hey maybe you should lower your loops down a foot....or if they can jump thru the loop its way to freaking big....or the deer stops dont prevent choking, they stop the loop from catching the legs when a deer hits the snare it cant close down on its ankle. Cause anybody who has a clue wouldnt be setting snares high enough to catch deer around the head reguarally. Are your coyotes that tall? hip caught snares and catching multiple deer is rediculous and irresponsible and will end trapping if you do that here. Maybe you should read the BMPs or ask a real trapper to show you how to set snares before you go recommend them. I stand by what I said. Snares in the hands of idiots is not a good idea. You assume I'm anti trapping but I've done it for over 20 yrs off and on. Paps I'm not trying to anger you. Your older than me and probably wiser. But the rest of you who didn't like what I said that's too bad. The question was asked about talk of snaring has come up in NY.....and I can say this thread sums it up. Its a touchy subject to say the least. Bottom line is people need more education. Me as well as others on here. If you catch a deer and it dies do you keep it or let it rot?

Skinny420, Please stop calling the items I am discussing a snare. I do not, have not & will not use snares on my trap line. I use a cable restraints. They are 2 different things. If you look thru all my posts on this thread I've never called them snares. Please get your facts straight.

As far as lowering my loops on my restraints. They are set at 6-8" off the ground if I'm targeting fox, 10-12" off the ground if I'm after yotes. The loop diameter is small. About 6" for fox & 10" for yotes. I have never set a restraint at hip level.  Again, get your facts straight.

Yes I have killed 3 deer over the 10 years I have been using restraints. But every incidental kill was followed by a call to the Game Commission. Also, in those 10 years of using restraints I have removed over 35 yotes using restraints. You run dogs, probably for small game. Do you think I hurt or helped the areas I trapped for small game? If you've trapped like you say you have. Are you going to say you've never had an incidental catch? Say someone's house cat? And had to put the animal down because you couldn't get the cat out of your trap without getting ripped to pieces? 

As for being a real trapper. I've been doing this since the mid 70's. Were you born yet? You want advice ask me. I have 40 years of knowledge. Idiot? Maybe take a look in the mirror.

Wishin calls his restraints (snares) when he talks of them. Either way its the same. Depending how it preforms. And like you said YOUR "restraints" DO KILL. That DOES makes them SNARES. You killed 3 deer and only caught 35 yotes. Did the BMPs pass with over 10% non target catches and a high kill rate of deer? Bottom line is you are doing it wrong. Not sure about the pa game commision. But here you would be surely fined for such poor traping practices. Post this on a deer hunting site or even a trapping site and I'm sure you will hear some serious debate. You are a disgrace to real trappers. I dont care how long you've been doing this. If you set snares on "deer trails" your an idiot. Traping is great for the environment when done responsibly, but killing 1 deer for every 10 coyotes is nowhere near acceptable. That's rediculous. Might as well bring back the 1080 compound. You really need to learn the error of your ways before you do any more damage. 35 coyotes in 10 years doesn't add up to much. That's not even a good year for a coyote trapper. If I was you I'd retire the snares before your next catch makes the news. You are that bad apple the spoils the whole bunch.

Skinny. I do everything by the letter of the law set by the Game Commission. If you don't like my practices well that's your opinion.

I done trying to explain it to you. I'm not going to get into a pi$$ing match with you on a site where we're supposed to talking about & enjoying our outdoor sports. We get enough of that from politicians & anti's. You have your opinion & I have mine.

You be safe & have a safe hunting season.

Well I remember when the Conibear 110 first came out, I wasn't driving because Santa gave me a new bicycle and it even had a light on the front that lit up once the bicycles wheel got to a certain speed. 4:30 am I was up and dressed with my hip boots on basket on my back and a single shot 22 with shorts, my 22 you had to pull the firing pin back which was a round knob, that morning I didn't catch a muskrat in my new conibear I had a 241/2 inch brown trout, which must have been going with the water, I had set a hole at the edge of a old wooden dam, I was so excited I couldn't wait to get back home and show dad before he left for work at 7:15 am. And I needed to get to school. I made $480.00 that year so at $2.00 to $3.50 per fur do the math. I set at the time, "snares" on land over runs, muskrats, opossums, which were $ .50 a piece, raccoons, $13.00 man you were the talk of the town, as guys were running dogs at night. Guys knew where I trapped anywhere there was a swamp, coyotes were very rare at that time. My cousins still trap mainly yotes, and with foot holds and restraints, I can't rember 1 coyote that was dead before we got there, like said above they just sit there like my beagle waiting for a bone. I've heard of guys getting deer in their restraints, so they must be just milling along with their heads down, so I can see where this could be a double clutch, but then I think of all the guys out there archery hunting with little knowledge under their hat, and deer laying dead because of a bad placed shot. I highly doubt the trappers out there even make a pimple on a deer's ass compared to all the deer laying on the ground with a aluminum or carbon shaft in them. I used to archery hunt also and way more guys in the woods these day with good hunting ethics and guys can shoot much better now a days, but for those guys it only takes a few bad apples to paint them all as bad apples. They know what I'm talking about. These day anymore with multi-media you need to hold your tongue more and think what you want, carry on with your buisness and that be that!!

• 4 weeks later...

My younger boy went calling with his girlfriend tonight.

250 yard shot with the 204.

Hopefully one of many this winter. attachicon.gifIMG_1477450063.563041.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

That's fantastic whaler!! And with his girlfriend that's even better, maybe they'll make a fine fur relationship. My wife will help cut deer but I can't get her to hunt. Congrats to the both of them!!

I was surprised Pap. She isn't shy when it comes to scented body lotion. He picked the right location with the right wind and caught the yore trying to circle downwind.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

That'A girl, tell #1 son she's a keeper!!