Coyotes and Fox 2016/2017

whaler1

Fisher

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks, saw them up in Canada, so ya, why not upstate NY. When I was up at the Oswegotchi River, in the Newton Falls area, I couldn't believe my eyes, I even closed them for a sec. to make sure it wasn't a dream. Before my very eyes stood a bull moose!! Not a huge rack but will be in a few years.

Thanks, saw them up in Canada, so ya, why not upstate NY. When I was up at the Oswegotchi River, in the Newton Falls area, I couldn't believe my eyes, I even closed them for a sec. to make sure it wasn't a dream. Before my very eyes stood a bull moose!! Not a huge rack but will be in a few years.

Man that would be so cool...I spend a few days in the adks bear hunting every fall and it always goes thru my mind how amazing it would be to see a moose walking thru the woods.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Whaler, Please allow me to pic your brain for a second. This thread really got me going on this at the end of last year. I have a bait pile, motion sensor and everything in place. I had a handheld spotlight that I have used in the past for calling but I just put a cyclops light on my rifle. The other night my motion sensor goes off and I look out at the pile and a giant yote is there I can easily see without the (green) light. I then flip the light on and as soon as I hit the yote he bolts. Should I switch to the red? I haven't had any problems with the green on foxes. Also thinking about switching to the ATN night vision scope.

Thanks, Paul

Paul,

Believe it or not I use a flashlight, with white light.  Used to use an expensive lightforce light but it died and wasn't worth the money.  I'd have to look at the light I use now to tell you what it is but its just a good quality flashlight.   When we hit them with the light we shine it above them and bring the beam down and that seems to make a difference.  I would say about half run off but they usually come back and eventually get shot.  Some don't seem to care at all.  Its only 120 yards from the window to the pile but the red and green don't shine as bright and the critters seem to run from them just as often.   With snow on the ground I often don't even shine the light, can usually see ok through the scope.

Whaler, Please allow me to pic your brain for a second. This thread really got me going on this at the end of last year. I have a bait pile, motion sensor and everything in place. I had a handheld spotlight that I have used in the past for calling but I just put a cyclops light on my rifle. The other night my motion sensor goes off and I look out at the pile and a giant yote is there I can easily see without the (green) light. I then flip the light on and as soon as I hit the yote he bolts. Should I switch to the red? I haven't had any problems with the green on foxes. Also thinking about switching to the ATN night vision scope.

Thanks, Paul

post-150305-14819312354048_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks, Paul

Switch to the red. Foxes are dumb as bricks but the yotes seem to spook way more often with the green. Biggest thing is to Make sure once they are lit keep them lit and not allow thier pupils to adjust over and over. Seems that makes them spook more than anything that I've noticed. If you haven't owned it long take back that junk cyclops and order a wicked from allpredatorcalls.com far better quality and infinite adjustability. Obviously night vision is the ultimate and I'm hoping to make the transition within the next few seasons with both a monocular for scanning and scope.

post-145970-0-98180600-1481944442_thumb.jpg

My first time experience with cyclops brand was a compact handheld flash/spot light, got for Christmas, such junk a matchstick makes for more light, it had a beam, spot, red lens, the whole deal was rather poor, I use the brinkman light with he red lens, now that shines good and have shot a few yotes from under that light but you need 2 people one to light and one for gunning, and I found myself having to have a second battery to go the whole night. They are easy to replace, but you must charge the batteries in the light. I haven't found a charger that will do just the battery, but I really didn't look all that hard either. Go to red defuser lens and I was told by a very successful yote hunter, not to light directly on the yote if possible just let the hue of the light to get on the yote, it has worked for me, but I haven't been out in a few years now.