Coyotes and Fox 2016/2017

whaler1

Trapper here, they are another tool in the war chest. They have a few limits. but basically are snares that are not supposed to kill. A good tool. ots of info on the internet....jk

I'm not sure where I feel with restraints. Done alot of reading on them still not sure lol. Seems like I'd want to learn them if became legal.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OK it is CRs from now on.  They are slick, and work in much worse conditions that a lot of traps do.  If you only have a few traps out you can keep up with conditions but to maintain a real good producing line you need a big area covered and you have to keep getting on new critters.  But in weather like we have now that is a loosing proposition with regular leg hold trap, CRs shine in this weather....jk   Ps this is a long post.  Oh how do you post photos here, I can do it easy on T-man but do not know how to here?

Geez, dont say snares, youll get everybody worked up again, read earlier in this thread if you care,

but we refer to them as cable restaints.

Yea and fuzzy freaks might think we're talking Catch-Release!! LOL

Stoneam2006, nice fisher. I get more pumped seeing a fisher in a set then a nice buck, but thats me.

I'll tell you it was my first ever one caught last day of our short season. I was pumped never caught one even to let go but have seen them. It's at the taxi for full body mount and I'm with you fur in the trap over bone on the wall anyday

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Edited by stoneam2006

Several years ago four of use got  fisher in widely different areas of our county on the same day.  Next year My buddy and I got 4 before the season, 3 within sight of each other and had to release them, you guessed it.  We did not get another fisher that year.  In fact that might be the last fisher that we got in Pa, several in NY.....jk

Switch to the red. Foxes are dumb as bricks but the yotes seem to spook way more often with the green. Biggest thing is to Make sure once they are lit keep them lit and not allow thier pupils to adjust over and over. Seems that makes them spook more than anything that I've noticed. If you haven't owned it long take back that junk cyclops and order a wicked from allpredatorcalls.com far better quality and infinite adjustability. Obviously night vision is the ultimate and I'm hoping to make the transition within the next few seasons with both a monocular for scanning and scope.

I use a IR board camera which fits nicely into 1.25 PVC and fits snug onto scope eyepiece. From cam runs video Jack to 4" LCD monitor which mounts to scope rail. A little focusing w/rear eyepiece and all milldots are clear & precise This is system works very well, includes all hardware and can be purchased @ sure24.com. Paid $130 with shipping.

I also purchased a 12v 4500 mah battery (1/2x3x4") for $30 which sits flat and secure on rifle stock. Can be charged from house outlet. I get 5 hrs continuous running.

Plus a IR t-20 light which can mount anywhere including bi pod. 20 hr run time on CR 123 $30

So for $160 the only batteries I buy are for IR light. Plus it's visually undetectable.

Also my .30 air rifle has a dual recoil which is hard on electronics because the travel of a gas piston. Have had no issues with electronics.

I was looking at armasight as well, but gen 1 with 4x was more than twice the cost, they were bulky, and heavier than what I want. Besides, I can take electronics off and not have to zero scope. Or leave electronics on and will fits in gun bag.

This system and others like it are used widely in what may be the best hare and fox hunting in the world. The UK.

The advantage to an air rifle as well is my concussion is 95 db AT THE BARREL ! At 100 yards you can't hear my rifle. More likely you won't be scaring everything within earshot. They come in 50 cal and bigger. Good for ALL game including huge southern boar.

Edited by moonfish

Thank you, I could have looked it up, I thought that you guys would know better and have more info!! There was talk about the over abundance of turkey's eating everything in sight. I know there isn't to many porcupines. LoL

Fishers do eat porcupines, house cats, rabbits, grouse., anything they can catch. They sleep, EAT, and crap. Here in UP they planted them years ago and were off limits for years. Told everyone they were to kill porkys. Rabbit populations were almost gone, porcupine population didn't drop. Took years to get them under control, they are just giant weasels and will kill just for fun.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hay "skinny420" does have point and a right to run his dogs.   I am a died in the wool trapper and usually get licenses in three states.  I put up fur for other people and hear all sorts of stories.  You have to respect his opinion and trap and "CABLE RELEASE" with proper care and respect for everyone out there.....jk

They eat whatever they want, rabbits squirrels mice birds etc . They are the only thing i know of that love and can eat porcupines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

And they will also wipe out your turkey population.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

And they will also wipe out your turkey population.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well this is the Pa. Game Comm. wishes, but this is going to raise hell, the turkey Federation is a strong group, but the slippery works of the Pa game comm. will be denying all actions. This year I saw 4 1/2 pics of mountain lions one with a collar, the 1/2 pic was to far away to say "yea that's a lion" the guy that delivers our fuel oil had a good story about seeing one fueling a house back by the pine swamp, I know the hidden feild he's talking about and that the picture I saw with a brown thick belt type collar with a box under its neck. This cat had a 4ft tail give or take. Definitely not a bobcat. Is this state loosing it's mind?? WTH man

When is your deer season over? Looking forward to this thread to kick off like it did yester year!! LOL I never get tired of looking at Penthouse house, I mean big racks LOL I need a pinch between cheek and gum 👆👆👠ok I'm back looking a nice horns even a Doe catches my eye. A big bushy tail on the other hand there isn't many pics. Of the elusive coyote!!!

Those are not giving you the finger, enlarge pic. it's a wait a minute sigh.

Edited by pap