Coyotes and Fox 2016/2017

whaler1

Congrats on one hell of a nice red Whaler, this one has a beautiful tail. What type of 17. do you use 17!hmr or the wsm, or the original 17 center fire?

Excellent job guys, and beautiful looking dogs!! That yote looks like a drowned rat :lol: I've only ever hunted with dogs twice in my lifetime. Once was a very exciting time and got to see the yote flying through the woods which my brother was further down than I he shot em stone dead with #4 buck. The other time the coyote went on a strait line into another county, which we tried to get in front of the dogs and we were to late, they crossed the road and they were  headed towards a town, so we cut them off before that happened. Was a long day and was told this happens sometimes.  Awesome job and congrats to your outings!! PAP?

After a long run with my hounds close behind Brandon from Hamlin N.Y. took his very first coyote yesterday. I even got to see the show from afar.%2Fmonthly_2017_01%2F1485081437579.thumb.jpg.8bec735f391b036e23f0d0b891508938.jpg%2Fmonthly_2017_01%2F1485081455072.thumb.jpg.0013fde6bc41d265e96e8dc47643f50d.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ken and Brandon, and the rest of the Hamlin group are good people. My son called last night and told me he shot a yote calling at one of our lease properties last night and that it ran into thick stuff and he couldn't find it. I drove out with a better light but it was snowing hard and in the thick nasty red brush and briars tracking wasn't possible.
I returned this morning and spent an hour and a half crawling through nasty stuff for 3/4's of a mile. Had good blood and found where it laid down a half dozen times where there was blood the size of pizzas. Towards the end of my search it turned into a running track, circled around and I knew the chances of finding it were zero. At that time I heard a shot north of me which made me think I pushed it to someone that shot it.
I got on my wheeler and drove to the north end of the property where I met Brandon. He was hunting with the Hamlin guys. He was friendly and engaging. He thanked me for letting the group hunt our piece and told me they had shot a fox but hadn't bumped the yote my kid shot. I wished him and the group luck and went home.

Four hours later I got a knock on the door and it was Ken and Brandon. They ended up bumping the yote and killed it. They knew it was the one my kid had shot, rifle hole back where it meets the hip, and they brought it home for my son. Really cool of them to do that, he was pumped. Over the years we have killed a lot of yotes but because of all the work involved this one is special and we are getting the pelt done.

Thanks to the Hamlin group, Ken, Brandon, Mike etc etc. class group of sportsmen. IMG_1485379983.733549.thumb.jpg.8885eaf2

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Whaler what did your son poke him with? The story was like out of outdoor life!! Better hang on to those guys, you don't run into to many from the "old" school anymore. I commend you guys for your actions. Both of the Whaler Men, and the Frearson guys & dogs. First whalers initiative to pursue with the idea of a kill "should" be found no matter what. I got to do this... :yes:. Kens crew could have, and had all the rights to the kill, under his belt. Only one hunter to another would understand the accomplishment felt when you take one of these dogs. All the stars must line up perfectly to kill one of the most intelligent critters in the woods!!:whew:  Excellent Job to both parties involved!!!

Edited by pap

Thanks men, I have been a hounds men for more than 30 years in the area. We have run coyotes as far as seven and ten miles from the original jump. That being said I first must thank all the landowners involved that I have permission to run accrost they are many in Hamlin and Kendall. I chatted with one of the largest farmers in town just Saturday. There is nothing better than on a cold quiet January morning to here them hounds lite up on a fresh jump and the race is on. Sometimes it ends good and sometimes your running down the meadaum on the lake Ontario parkway heading for safety in the Hamlin Beach park like one of the long runs yesterday. Happy Hunting.1485432624972.thumb.jpg.d2532b8fbcd3c3cd1485432680494.thumb.jpg.12c8b30e31174106

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Some people would so, well 10 miles isn't far? Yea it isn't but buy the way the crows fly 10 miles is a long F'N way. I've been one one of those chases, we went through 3 different counties, my bad 3 different hunting zones. The bad part was we started in a rifle zone our turf is 3D, on the Call mountain and ended up on the summer side of the Blue Mountain, which is shotgun only zone, in between there is the chestnut Ridge, which is another MT, to climb over, while the yote picked others up and dropped others off this guy knew where the hell is was going. The dogs never switched off the dog we started out with. This dog had a print of a black lab. the rest were of normal size. If it wouldn't have been one of the biggest prints, with other ideas of what it might have been. "There were rumors of a 1/2yote1/2wolf" running around, we would have called the dogs off once we went into the 2nd zone. It was a long day I was never so tired, and the dogs still wanted to go. Now the sun's going down!! I'll never forget that day!!

Got another red last night with the .17 wsm. Clean exit wound visible on this one and the shot was about 80 yards.  Between the cats, hawks and feral cats they have pretty much cleaned out my pile and the only thing coming in is foxes. 

IMG_0381.JPG