Coyotes and Fox 2016/2017

whaler1

I have less than 50 to my credit.  but two friends have 80 for one guy and 100+ for a trapper.  All mine are trapping and the guy with 80 all his are shooting and a few with those cables.  How many do you have to your credit?  Or coyotes here are hammered so the survivors are smart and wary.  The season starts and everyone gets one or two then the work starts.....jk  I guess all critters are that way though

7 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

My guess is night hunting will go bye-bye. After the horse shooting incident in Livingston County last year, it seems like a good idea

Cant fix stupid,  darkness was the least mitigating factor.  Know your target.

Matt from what I know the guy sees movement, hits it with the light. The victims eyes light up and the guy thinks coyote and shoots.
Must say I have never lit someone at night, maybe their eyes light up?
Internet says people's eyes don't light up. I think the guy just shot at movement. Horrible situation, prayers to both parties, scary stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Out of all years I've hunted and had friends walk to the stand around dark or push to me walking to the truck, I've never looked at them and said that could be mistaken for a deer or any other animal. I can only assume if the guy was trespassing the hunter would assume that at that time another human wouldn't be walking around, although it's not an excuse. I feel bad for both parties

I get the reflex reaction to movement but after that there is no excuse I can rationalize for this accident.  You have to know your target and what is behind it before the safety even comes off.  But I wasn't there and I don't know if there wasn't something unusual that made this situation likely to happen in such a terrible outcome.  I agree with whaler - Horrible situation for both parties involved.

I'm with whaler on this one, I have hunted at night with a red lens. 100 yards off in the distance a set of eyes appear, now I've looked at people through a binoculars , never mounted to a rifle, I can't bring myself to even think that a person looks like a dog, wtf like you said can't fix stupid, it's the other party I feel for. Here's one for ya, 10 years just saying, I was standing ahead on a chase pretty soon I see like the sun reflecting off, well what looked like horns, and it's moving, now it's appearing that its facing towards the drivers, WTF is that, man if that's a buck he really has a heavy, heavy beam, I got my field glasses out and they just make things worse. I'll just wait till the drivers get around and hopefully I can knock this bad boy together. Soon I hear the drivers making the turn on the side of the smaller type mountain, now the horns lay flat on the ground. I thought watch this bastard lay low and the drivers will walk right past. There getting closer and closer, I'm tellin myself get ready to make a quick shot as this guys either going to bolt at any moment or there going to walk right by. Well that's what happened, now I'm pissed he got away but I never saw him run. Oh well that's hunting. Get to the truck my father in law says did you see that azzhole that jumped in front of our drive? Soon the others say the same and he had a dull gun metal grey barrel, ya, ya, one of the others say he ran in front of our standers. HOLY jumping Jesus's that's what I saw, like right above the laurels, yep that's where he was PAP, I told the guys, I saw this shinning like a main beam of a buck, thought it had to a brute as I could just make out the brown on his head and thee beam. Long story short someone jumped in the middle of our drive to get a shot at the deer before they got to the standers, that's what I saw, I was like man just stand up and it's all over for that big boy. Kind of got me a little weak in the knees once I found out it was a person!!! See other people are stupid, he could of got shot if a buck would have been in there, or if he kicked one up and it ran towards either the chasers or the standers. I could of really screwed up, but I was taught to identify my target before I ever push the safety off!! That really pizzed me off, 

2 hours ago, Gill-T said:

I hear you Pap.  Nothing like seeing brown movement, putting the gun up only to find an idiot in full brown Carhart in your scope.  Scary when it happens.

Or having a chocolate lab come running out of the thick stuff.  I had two hikers in Letchworth walking a Britney and  chocolate lab with no leash three years ago.  I heard all this commotion in the brush and out comes a dopey lab.  They got a tongue lashing about no orange and unleash browns dogs during deer season.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful dogs there Whaler & son, that blond one is freaken huge. That 2 more that won't be killing off the rabbits and fawns this spring. Excellent job guys!!

Same dog Pap, 47lb male. I was driving to Maryland when he called and said he got it. His GF took a video of it getting shot but I have no clue how to post it. PM me your cell or email address and I will send it to you tomorrow.

As season nears a close some of our best running can be had. This feamale had the hounds on a 3 hour long run . My hounds Brandon and young Josephine close behind even swimming accrost Sandy creek at a deep spot going through Hamlin and almost making Kendall. Many road crossings later the old male Brandon came to bay 3 times till I could get a clear shot. I was real happy with the young hound that was up frount most of the time pushing the yote hard .We didn't weigh the yote but she was one of the largest females we have ever taken . IMG_20170311_094219478.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

IMG_20170311_094219478.jpg