Pike in Senaca

Hey y'all,

I'm staying with my parents in Hector, thinking of doing some pike fishing at a few spots in the area.

I'm using my fly rod, so I've got a bunch of big flashy flies, and I'll be mostly fishing from a canoe.

Just wondering if there's anything I should know about Seneca Pike, maybe flies that work well in the area? Good times to go?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by Maineflier

staying in hector? try the cove at smith park and peach orchard early mornings and in the evening. lots of times you can see them swirling after bait and you can target them, also try the outside edges of the weed beds. I never tried flies for them but I would start with natural colors.

- if you're going out in the evening be mindful of speed boats running around. they have been known to run over canoes and small boats, many of the collisions have been fatal.

there are more than a few bodies that Seneca has never given up.

good luck,

joe

I think you maybe at a bit of a disadvantage fishing for pike in Seneca with a flyrod and my suspicion is that you will be catching everything BUT doing it that way (e.g. with flies). If you are stuck with the flyrod I'd try using some good sized plugs or floppy spoons and fish them just at the outside edge of weed beds if you can find them there if yu have a slight wind you could "drift" them. It will be somewhat clumsy fishing that way but you stand a better chance of catching a PIKE that way. If it were me I'd probably get some live shiners (Brewer's Sport Shop in Ovid?)and use a light wire leader and treble hook and a good sized bobber and just drift around near weeds. That could be fun on a fyrod with a big one. :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Well, I was in town for a family reunion of sorts, and it quickly became apparent that I wasn't going to be able to go out as much as I wanted. And with those serious whitecaps we had all weekend , I was relegated to mostly just fishing off the dock [emoji36]

So I appreciate everyone's input, and hopefully next time I'm in town I'll be able to show off some big pike pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United