"another sub troll ?"

just bought mine from good ole g bush. heres the ?. how often when you set it up out of the boxshould the calibration be off that much? mine was off 1.0 mph to match my surface speed to see if it was true. i love it already but just wondered if they came factory set. thanx for they replys this site ROCKS!!!!

Thumbburn -

How are you measuring your surface speed (i.e. GPS) and comparing it with the probe speed (i.e. dropping your probe down a foot and comparing with the GPS?)

Since the probe only works when in the water, even when your probe is only down a foot in the water and you are comparing it with your GPS speed, there can be a significant difference because of surface currents. Think about it - how often do you see a styrofoam cup "floating" on the surface, yet it's moving. Certainly some of it is from wind, but some is from the surface current as well. That's why the subsurface probes are so important.

I have no idea how they calibrate the probes at Moor, but my guess it there isn't anything wrong with your unit.

- Chris

It doesn't really matter whether or not your down speed matches your GPS speed. What does matter is that your downspeed is consistent---which the SubTroll definitely is.

Don't try to match your downspeed to your GPS speed. Instead find the speed on your unit that catches fish and then duplicate it.

Good luck!

Paul

thanks guys. forgot to mention it is a moor. i matched my surface speed down a foot or two away from prop w my gps unit didint know if i had to calibrate it like the directions said so i checked it out and it was off. hopefully be out this wkend to give it another shot. boy they sure do help. always heard bout the currents down there but until you have one you will have to see to beleive!!!! tight line n drags sreamingggg!!!!!