Oswego etiquette

Yesterday had a charter boat get pinched in on me heading same direction. No big deal it happens. Then they go off on a fish and he gets on the radio to tell his buddies. One of them makes a comment of how close we were to each other and instead of stating the FACTS that he came in on me he acts like the situation was all my doing. Get over yourself buddy. Because your living in a "Fantasy" if you think I'm out there following you or anyone else around. Just because not all of us are "Charter boats" doesn't mean we don't know what we're doing.

If you're close enough, yell over to him and ask him if he wants you to net his fish for him...I do it all the time. Etiquette covered, I'm being nice. Usually the other side has that goofy ...huh?...look. sometimes etiquette goes overboard and I get the, I'm number 1 wave...I'm still courteous and give them back th OK sign. 3 fingers standing for A double S and a hole. Keep fishing and turn hard right or left to deeper water drop the balls and dial up the speed, maybe the U turn will complete before the treasure gathering..

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just give him the international sign of discontent and continue on your way . Charter captains think they own the lake . Their rude behavior is noted by their clients and probably cost them business . That said , there are people out there that have NO clue and are a menace . So if you are courteous and respectful of other fishermen (Charters and recreational) , you have no reason to be berated by anyone .

Uhhh,did it really make a difference that it was a charter vs recreational boat ? It sounds like you have more of a attitude than the other guy. Not sure of the situation but if he or any other boat is on autopilot and is not overtaking you I can see where they don't want to give way. Unless you guys were dead even when you both started to troll I don't see what the big deal is with you just changing your course and not blowing a gasket over it. Most guys I see whether charter or not will alter there course when pinching in, you didn't want to and now get on here and beef about it. Who is the hard head here ? The overtaking boat should give leeway to the boat being passed and your probably splitting hairs in this instance. Two sides to every story and fishing is supposed to be fun, try having some.

Uhhh,did it really make a difference that it was a charter vs recreational boat ? It sounds like you have more of a attitude than the other guy. Not sure of the situation but if he or any other boat is on autopilot and is not overtaking you I can see where they don't want to give way. Unless you guys were dead even when you both started to troll I don't see what the big deal is with you just changing your course and not blowing a gasket over it. Most guys I see whether charter or not will alter there course when pinching in, you didn't want to and now get on here and beef about it. Who is the hard head here ? The overtaking boat should give leeway to the boat being passed and your probably splitting hairs in this instance. Two sides to every story and fishing is supposed to be fun, try having some.

I'm guessing you didn't read/comprehend my post correctly. I do believe I said "no big deal" when referring to getting pinched together, it does happen from time to time. What I did take offense to the fact that the situation was automatically presumed to be my fault when his buddies chatted up his hook up on the radio and he went along with the assumption not letting his peers know it was an unintended situation that just happened. You'd have thought I was shadowing him all day if you had heard the chatter on the radio and I guess what really pissed me off was the general assumption made by the "few" ( notice I said few not ALL) other Captains chatting it up that the recreational boats would all be converging  on this guys boat because he just caught a fish. As bandrus1 stated I shouldn't worry about it and it is now behind me. It just struck a nerve with me how pompous some people can be just because they're "earning a living" taking people fishing.

Lastly I will say I'm sure there are boats that follow the charter boats around. I just wanted to clear up the assumption that I am not one of them and hopefully let the specific Captain know it wouldn't have hurt his reputation any to have just called it like it is.

CS;

I too was out of Oz yesterday. I was in approximately 300’ of water & had a guy cut across behind me at a short distance, as it turned out, too short, when I pulled up one of my riggers, I had a brand new DW spoon, leader, & about 300’ of copper hanging off of the cable. There were no other boats near us. Things happen all the time, as I too have been “pinchedâ€, & have had to pull gear to keep it from being broken.

Good Luck;

John

It goes both ways, I've had Chart Captains pretty much ass ram me after seeing me hook up. Pretty sad really.

One time we were fighting a fish and a Charter Captain got so close I could have grab a board he was running copper off of in the middle of the pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Ah... the great king combat season has began.

Not to worry, it will be over soon enough and then cabin fever will set in followed by the great brown trout combat season.

Edited by rolmops

If he cut behind you, he would have picked up your copper. Sounds like you have it reversed? How is his copper on your rigger if he passed behind you?

Let me clear this up for you, he was pulling copper & cut behind me before the end of the copper he was trolling got beyond my boat, he dragged his copper into my rigger cable, & his copper was broken off at the backing. NJ folks are known to have comprehension problems!

Have a nice day!

John

There is the possibility that the guy crossing from behind was turning from the opposite direction. His copper would end up in the riggers. A strong wind or cross current can also get the long lines into weird places. Lol, just this Saturday I spent about 45 minutes unraveling a copper bird's nest while all the time thinking about 19 strand stainless weighted wire that does not make bird's nests.

Wondering what makes no sense?

Well I'm from upstate NY and I ain't getting it either. I guess it's a possibility with currents, excessive blowback and boat headings, but if it happened as you say, so be it.