Flasher Flies

A few basic things to consider are: are you fishing solo or with others (netting) and how good are you at hand lining chinooks to the net? :lol:  Unless using something like a sliding dipsey there are realistic functional limits to the length of the leader because when you get the fish near the boat and try to net it you may have a problem if it is too long and your boat becomes  too short :lol:  to back up to the front so someone else can net it OR you are by yourself and the dipsey reaches the tip of your rod with several feet of leader still out with a fiesty chinook on the other end and you are into a one hand netting situation :)  If desiring long leads on your setup consider using a slider dipsey and for usual dipseys use the length of your rod as a guide to the total length of your setup that way you'll be in netting range most of the time. If you have a lot of experience hand lining fish you may choose to go over the limit but chinooks are a handful at the boat and are often unlike some other more sedate fish and when they see the boat or the net expect the unexpected :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

A few basic things to consider are: are you fishing solo or with others (netting) and how good are you at hand lining chinooks to the net? :lol:  Unless using something like a sliding dipsey there are realistic functional limits to the length of the leader because when you get the fish near the boat and try to net it you may have a problem if it is too long and your boat becomes  too short :lol:  to back up to the front so someone else can net it OR you are by yourself and the dipsey reaches the tip of your rod with several feet of leader still out with a fiesty chinook on the other end and you are into a one hand netting situation :)  If desiring long leads on your setup consider using a slider dipsey and for usual dipseys use the length of your rod as a guide to the total length of your setup that way you'll be in netting range most of the time. If you have a lot of experience hand lining fish you may choose to go over the limit but chinooks are a handful at the boat and are often unlike some other more sedate fish and when they see the boat or the net expect the unexpected :lol:

Well said Les!!!

I fish by myself and have been running the flasher about 4' behind the Dipsy and 22" or so to the fly. I've been doing fine but it's right at the end of my netting range. Always an adventure with the bigger fish.

Also running some slide divers but not getting anything on them so far. Longer lead, different ff, running a bit shallower. Tough to narrow down exactly the problem. I shortened the lead this weekend but still nada.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I never use snubbers, but a high-quality, well-set drag is required. Fluorocarbon doesn't stretch much, it's not mono

Ditto

18inch leader between fly and flasher and whatever it takes to make the rest of your rod length between diver and flasher. Any more then 18inch you are going to get huge rotation with your fly. Probably too muxh

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The length of your fly leader depends a lot on your trolling speed. A shorter leader will whip faster. 22 inches is the industry standard. If you tend to run slow...like 2.0 at the ball a shorter lead might be better. I tend to run a touch hotter than most. My leaders are 22-27 inches. I have a few tied up short that have never taken a hit. But I guess it all goes on what works for you and your program.