How deep do tigers go when the water gets warm?

ah winternet in july Let start out with saying i have no problem with justin keeping an injured fish why waste    you can not compare trout and salmon to musky how long does it take to grow a musky to trophy size compared to salmon

browns and steelhead otisco is being billed as trophy waters thats why the 40" versus 30" rest of state and before you start on your liscenses Zach gives more to this sport than just about any one on this page and more than the people that are making the negative coments combined

it is very easy to see the mentality of people by there coments know the whole story before you coment on some one and making an ass out of yourself zach is a stand up guy

Steve, Ur sitting there maki mg it sound like Justin is the 2nd coming of jesus. Don't u remember refunding his family musky inc membership after he cried this spring? How can we support someone who doesn't support us and just comes here to try n promote his guide service?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This thread should be locked. 

x 2.

As soon as zach posted his first post I knew where this was going.  Not only should this be locked, anyone who picks a fight like this should be banned.

Now he's gone off the deep end and calling everyone names.   That is not the way to get an opinion heard or respected.

you miss understand me i have no problem with taking a fish i have a problem if it is for just the wall unless its injured or to show everybody back at the bar or what ever justin will tell you about torn down there where they end up in dumpsters for mounts 2 measurment and they can give youy a replica mount but having said this how long does it take to grow a musky to 40" since the first year the survial rate is 10% how many do think out that 10% make it to 40" now the quality of fishing since the regs where move to 40 has improved do you agree

Why should people keep their comments to themselves?  Someone sharing their opinions isn't any different than you sharing your opinions.  You just don't agree with them.

Also...Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's the right choice or ethical.  If I kept all the legal muskies I caught over the years, fishing would suck.  I'm of the opinion that there's no need to keep a muskie.  Not that keeping one here or there is the end of the world, but it certainly sounds like fishing for larger tigers on Otisco would be better if more people practiced catch and release.  I don't fish the lake, so I don't really care about that specific body of water.

This thread has been entertaining though. 

Sorry for interrupting you guys but am I reading something wrong? Or is it only 36 in to keep a tiger in otisco? Not that I'm looking to keep one. (I have when they don't look good like Justin's) but I want to make sure I know the regulation for that lake. Some one mentioned about the beautiful fish that kid caught being barely legal? ://www.google.com

Sent from my LG-H820 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I don't want to get in the middle of this but I do want to throw one thing out there.

I understand tiger muskies are typically used as a management tool. However, I am under the impression that Otisco has been managed (mostly) as a trophy fishery ever since they increased the minimum size limit. I can't see the size limit being raised for management reasons but I could be wrong plus wouldn't they raise it statewide? A couple DEC quotes from articles from a simple google search...

"The rationale, state Department of Environmental officials said, was that the new regulation would improve the status of tigers in the lake, hopefully turning the small Finger Lake into a destination waterway for tiger muskie anglers."

"Our primary goal in stocking tigers is to create an opportunity for anglers to catch very large fish in waters that otherwise would not provide this possibility,†Lemon said. “The popularity of muskie/tiger muskie fishing has never been higher and the only way to grow large fish is by giving them a chance to grow larger.â€

Also, I don't think Zach specifically called anyone names...

Also, I don't think Zach specifically called anyone names...

"Meathunters!" sure reads like it's supposed to be an epithet, though I'm not offended personally.  I like eating pike.  I'm not ashamed to admit it, and I keep one every couple of years so your stocks are safe from me. 

" Don't u remember refunding his family musky inc membership after he cried this spring?"  Isn't a nice thing to say especially from someone who ate food cooked on Justin's BBQ that day.  He objected to scoring sub-legal fish, which is a topic worthy of a respectful debate.   There's plenty of objectionable things zach said.

And I mistakenly thought the hillbillies comment was his, but it wasn't.  Still, the tone is completely uncalled for.

Look, I get the passion and trying to promote Esox.  But any ambassador for anything needs to understand that they are better informed, have better skills, and their job is to inform and educate, not berate, and especially for something completely legal.  Yeah, if everyone was as good as you and kept every fish there would be a problem.  But they aren't.  You get conservation through education.   Not from calling people meathunters when they keep a dying fish.

Unless we can have a civil debate I still think this should be locked.

"Meathunters!" sure reads like it's supposed to be an epithet, though I'm not offended personally.  I like eating pike.  I'm not ashamed to admit it, and I keep one every couple of years so your stocks are safe from me. 

I must have missed that when I was looking for those articles, either way I completely agree that these discussions need to stay civil, otherwise it gets shut down and nobody gets anything out of it, more than likely making things worse.

He was after browns , and shared a great day on the water for a father son. Just hard to beat that ......

Now on this topic of fishing for something else and getting a musky.

About ten years ago I got my first one in Ohio fishing a overflowing muddied up lake. My first time there there were stripers in there so I was using a meat head rig with cut bait herring , hooked up with my first ever musky. Just to compare how far N.Y. is than Ohio at that time size for legal musky   was any size one per day.  So you guys as a group have done a great job here protecting and educating keep that up....... I bought lures off Zach good guy to deal with , I fished and talked fishing with Justin enjoyed it....... Now hermit , just kidding Alec .... some day we will have a good bite on the water Alec.  

My final comment is.....if you were fishing Otisco 10 years ago....u would know that the tiger fishing sucked at that point in time.....(for whatever reason....less alewife, introduction of zebra mussels , 30 inch to keep one etc) the Johnny come lately anglers don't realize how difficult it was to even catch a tiger then....let alone a big one....so they don't appreciate how much it has improved....now they stock about 11,000 annually & have raised the legal limit to promote a "Trophy" fishery.....some of us ( true ESOX anglers ) enjoy catching the big ones & r not thrilled when people frivolously speak of eating them. If people continue to "eat" them it could return to a lackluster fishery for tigers again....Of course it is your right to keep & eat one.....but to Most true musky guys....it is taboo...oh & BTW....yes I am calling the DEC guy from the video a hillbilly......did u watch it?....his grammar suggests that when he states " them look good". & to stir the pot a bit more.....IMO.....they should raise the legal limit at Otisco even more.....change regs to keep one Tiger per year per license & completely ban tip ups in winter...

As informative as this topic has become it is a little "off topic".

This 40 1/8" fish has become a bit of a martyr. If it was truly going to die (gill hooked) isn't it better to become a family memory than bird and turtle food?

From seeing Justin's posts over the last few years I think he would have CPR that fish under better circumstances.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There are some good points on both sides in this thread;though the etiquette could improve some. I can only control what happens in my boat. Everything gets released on my turf. I fish barbless and take what i feel are excess hooks off a lot of my baits. My go pro lets me gets photos while having fish out of water 10 to 15 seconds. Good for me. But any legal fish caught legally is subject to the whims of the angler. Eat it,nail it's head to the back of your shed,feed it to your cat. Your fish,your call. I don't agree with a lot of the regulations so i write the dec now and then and ask for higher size limits for pike and musky. As well as lower creel limits for pike. Some esox are always going to get killed by swallowing smaller baits as long as they share waters with bass,walleye,and twout. You can't expect a walleye guy to tie his bayrat on a wire leader behind 80lb braid. So let's agree to disagree and not beat each other up. I will keep trying to change the rules but if you fish within them you'll take no cwap from me. Except maybe on that deep fried tiger video. That was awful. Tight lines my friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

So let thIs be a lesson for all you guys fishing in musky infested waters, make sure you got 10 inch lures out with steel leaders, big ass nets, wire cutters for hooks, stop your salmon spread and reel in all the equipment so you can revive the fish and , oh ya, don't fish when the water is too warm, you might kill a musky by mistake. Don't take any pictures unless you have proof of release and don't hold that fish by the gill plate. I still feel like I missed something? Now I feel totally guilty of possession of a musky caught on a 4 inch rapala and ultralight rod.