How deep do tigers go when the water gets warm?

I often get asked if the tigers really go deep in summer. Well I've never had a summer where the big tigers seemed so elusive. Sure we have caught some but not like I would have expected after the phenomenal spring. Today things were slow and we decided to speed up for a reaction bite and put out a 10 rod set covering more column instead of zeroing in on walleye or tigers. Had 1 rigger at 24, 1 at 33 and 1 at 37 for browns (55 -58 degree water). Ive been trying for a big brown off and on this year and today I decided to fish colder than the normal for browns.

post-139486-0-01421600-1471737562_thumb.jpg

post-139486-0-61246800-1471737563_thumb.jpg

post-139486-0-14645900-1471737565_thumb.jpg

We didn't go far and my brown trout setup (silver n blue alewife spoon 10' off the ball on 10lb mono with 8 lb seaguar flouro leader) is just screaming! I holler to put it in neutral and Wayne's son Trav starts pumping the fish up. Wayne used just the trolling motor to keep our other 9 rods tight and to keep the fish from getting into the riggers. With only a 10 foot set back clearing lines wasn't an option. After several runs back down that had Trav nodding the rod for fear whatever we had would certainly break us off. Pretty soon we have color and it was a pretty decent tiger... unfortunately about the same time we see the water going red. Fish was 40 1/8 and 17lbs bled out. Wayne had quite a day with his son getting his first tiger and grandson his first walleye. He is having the tiger mounted to preserve the great day and utilize a very badly gill hooked fish. I've been sad before losing a fish like this but not this one...not a bit! Happy to share a great family moment with a great friend and great family.

Yet another dead tiger..... seems to happen when these fish eat lil baits n swallow em like that big one caught salmon fishing also last week. Happy the kid got a fish but........ otisco seems to be the place to catch n kill tigers from all the pics I see at the campground. Accidental catch I get it but the harvest on otisco is insane.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Or they are elusive because you have to figure it out...I made an adjustment today and got a decent fish quite easily...just never fished that deep in summer. As far as harvest goes it's not really our place to judge what someone else does with a legal fish. Yeah I definitely want them put back, but I can only control what goes happens on my boat. In the last 5 years I've had 3 bleeders and never 2 in a season...none were wasted. I don't count tigers but my release percentage is just fine with smaller lures. We can lobby for legislation, but around here they are table fare unfortunately. They stock 15000 a year and they don't breed so it a tough sell to the locals to ask them to put them back...it's put and take to them. Not only do we have to convince people to release we have to convince them to buy a big net, tools, leave the fish in the water, lean over the side to unhook the fish....and on and on...I've tried to change local opinion 1 person at a time but it's not easy! I have a different kid every day and I give em an education...by the time they get their first tiger they want to release them as much you or I. Next time you are here I could introduce you to some good people that make a compelling argument to their right to eat a legal fish. Always remember there are 2 sides to everything and total agreement is unlikely. Educating kids is THE only way to change.

post-151276-14717960699038_thumb.jpg

I feel compelled to respond to Zach's above post.First let me say that I have been buying fishing licenses,boat reg,fishing tackle,taxes, surcharges and fees in N.Y. for over 40yrs.It was some of my money that went into the development and rearing and stocking of these tigers in NY. for the enjoyment of all.We all agree that fishing is a great sport and should be regulated to assure it's future. the size limit on Otisco has already been increased to recognize the "Trophy fishermen".These fish belong to all of us,if it is legal to take and use a fish of a certain size why not? We own them.If someone wants to release their fish it's their choice.There are many people who have no boat,or have very limited time to fish or just want to take someone fishing who doesn't normally fish,it's not easy to tell someone who just caught a 35"fish "it has to go back".MuskysAnonymous, is spot on with his post I thank you sir for your insight.

Secondly let me say that I fish with Justin once and awhile and I can assure you that if that fish showed any sign of survival it would have been released.That was my son and grandson fishing with us Sat.I have 4 grandchildren and we're all lucky enough to fish together once in a while,some people don't have that chance.I made a promise to myself that I would mount a fish caught with each of my grandchildren,no matter the size(legal of course)or the species so that we may remember our time together fishing not watchin tv.

As for Zach,I really wish you could have seen this post for what it was intended.I have to say that if we were face to face and we shared some pics and your response was the same as above,,, well I won't go there.

Sorry everyone for the venting,but I just couldn't ignore it.

I say Congrats! Nice catch and a day that kid will never forget. If keeping them was a problem the state would make it catch and release. Fishing is not the only reason they stock them. They are predators that the state can use to control other species without introducing another problem. I appreciate your posts Justin, It's always nice to not only see what one catches, but how they did it too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would say that muskies caught on lines not intended for them most likely have a higher mortality rate and as a guide who introduces people to the sport, should offer more esox equipment.

As for me saying that to your face, don't know how push came to shove but we all know Ur mentality. Thanks for your input but I wasn't educated on anything other than your many years of fishing license purchases.

Congrats to the kid first and foremost. Know this, I was also saying that tiger mortality on this lake seems unusually high and that can most likely be attributed to lack of knowledge and is a reason I decide to not fish there to often. Always remember opinions are like a $$holes, we all have one. I have mine and you have yours. Good day sir, off to things that really matter

I would say that muskies caught on lines not intended for them most likely have a higher mortality rate and as a guide who introduces people to the sport, should offer more esox equipment.

As for me saying that to your face, don't know how push came to shove but we all know Ur mentality. Thanks for your input but I wasn't educated on anything other than your many years of fishing license purchases.

In what way would pike – musky’s caught while trolling for walleyes – trout, etc be more likely to suspect to higher mortality rates? Say a big pike or musky grabs a Sutton Spoon or a Rapala’s Taildancer, why would this be more injurious to the fish than if it were a trout or walleye. The only difference I could see if the fish were caught at a very great deep say like you were trolling for Lakers at 90+ FOW. Very few if any Esox are caught at these depths, so I don’t follow this line of logic.

I troll very little (by choice), but the few Esox I’ve caught on downriggers did just fine as far as I could tell and were fished for the same way as one would trout or walleye. Generally between (15 to 40) FOW. The only difference is the use of higher test leaders.

However this is basically the only way to catch them on Conesus once the lake heats to a certain point. Since you really can’t reach them casting until the water cools down. So I switch to fishing for LM_Bass until September-Oct. That is why I found it interesting that on Otisco a somewhat similar deeper water lake with ample alewives that one could cast for tigers in the 30’s†during this record hot summer.

Edited by NPike

If the fish is injured (gill hooked and bleeding, belly up, etc) or if you just take a few odd fish each season “injured fish making up the major portion of theseâ€. This is what I try to encourage folks to do as we let by and far most of our Esox go, >>95%. It concerns me that on Conesus how many pike and tigers are keep. Look at the Facebook website and you will see how many people are yanking them out of that lake. A large % of these are not released (you can often tell by the photo) and I’m surprised the fishery still stands up to it to tell you the truth.

Excuse me if I'm off topic

Edited by NPike

"Should offer more esox equipment"? Is this guy serious? Did you see the part where Justin said he was trying to catch a trout? This guy is the classic clown who ruins a forum. Up on his high horse because someone kept a fish - had to make a negative comment. Not to mention its critical of one of the most ethical anglers on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

If the fish is injured (gill hooked and bleeding, belly up, etc) or if you just take a few odd fish each season “injured fish making up the major portion of theseâ€. This is what I try to encourage folks to do as we let by and far most of our Essex go, >>95%. It concerns me that on Conesus how many Essex are keep. Look at the Facebook website and you will see how many people are yanking them out of that lake. A large % of these are not released (you can often tell by the photo) and I’m surprised the fishery still stands up to it to tell you the truth.

Excuse me if I'm off topic

What in hell is an ESSEX?????   Speak English and it may make some sense.

Edited by devoknevo

If people like Zach or myself & all the others who regularly fish for toothy critter kept a legal fish each outing there would be a significant reduction in the population....( so some people WHO HAVE TO PAY A GUIDE SO THEY CAN ACTUALLY CATCH SOMETHING......would not have as good a fishing experience with their child )....just a fact.....if U want to keep a fish ....that is up to u....( & I know Justin does try to release all tigers if possible...no beef there especially on a badly hooked fish).....but verbally attacking Zach bc he questions why so many keep & mishandle tigers is out of line......IMO.......Only Hillbillies eat musky.....period! ....eat up.....but be careful ...bc I'm sure u only have half a mouthful of teeth....don't choke pal....& keep the comments about violence to yourself

In my opinion, it is a complete waste of energy to complain about people keeping tigers and pike in waters that are not being managed as trophy fisheries. And not all lakes should be managed as trophy fisheries.

If it bothers you, You are better off fishing other waters that are managed as trophy fisheries.

This is not unlike the people who complain about anglers keeping trout in the tribs. The DEC is managing it with the expectation that a percentage of caught fish are kept. Its only a problem because of your expectations.

Congrats to the family on making a great memory and receiving a trophy to commemorate the day. I'm sure it will be appreciated many years to come.

Thanks to Justin for posting his newly aquired knowledge, hopefully everyone uses it wisely.

It's sad to see what this post has been turned into. I support both sides of the spectrum. To me it's all about respecting the fish AND other anglers.

Like I mentioned , I don't travel to that lake other than once a year for our musky tourney and u am amazed at the local mentality of kill it n they will just get us more.

Why did I mention equipment, bc the longer the fight on light line the more the fish gets tired but that doesn't matter to a guy who plans on eating em. I am sure the new state record was fried up much before it was able to reach any significant size bc of greedy anglers. I made a comment, not on a high horse- just amazed a guide would show dead fish pics in this day and age. I have been involved in musky fishing for over 25 years and in the fishing business for almost 10. I see guys like this, whom I referred to as uneducated sportsman who think it's a bottomless pit of fish. Think Ur funny showing us Ur fried tiger but all it does is make u look like an entry level angler. Hapoy to stir the pot more if needed. Have a great day.

And please just ask yourself this once, what have you personally done for NY'S fishery other than buy a license? Have you contributed money or lures donations to help stocking in 6 states like I have continued to do? Have you helped organized a club to change laws and seasons? Have you dedicate half your life to esox preservation? I somehow don't think so, oh- I also have purchased my fishing license.......