8-19 family day

BSmaster

I came up with an interesting idea to take my family to Otisco lake for a boat ride with Justin.  I was really nervous taking my wife and kids because they do not have my interests at my level (or at all really) and any real walleye fisherman knows that nothing is guaranteed.  So I convinced my wife that it was a very comfortable ride ion a covered pontoon boat and that we would be moving around the lake sight seeing while we trolled up some fish.  She did not have to reel in any fish but I would be more than willing to buy her a 3 day license and actually encouraged it.  In the end she was not into that but did want to go and I even got her to get up before 3 so we could make the almost 2hr drive to get to the campground.  In the end they agreed that a morning ride before the heat wave would be best.  I had fished with Justin last summer and I knew that he would be the best option for me to get my family on a fishing boat and have them like the experience. 

So we arrived at 6 - got on the water shortly after AND  could not have asked for a more beautiful morning.  There wasn't a cloud in the sky and several times the lake laid down flat.  We set up and ran up the lake marking lots of bait and hooks and fishing is not getting.  It took a few hours but we ended up with 3 eyes and 1 large smallmouth.  My son reeled in the small mouth and then petered out so my daughter reeled in the 3 eyes and then we quit shortly after.  Both kids and my wife had a great time and never once asked me when we were leaving.  Justin let the kids maneuver around the boat and participate whenever possible.  On the way in he shared lake information with my wife because he picked up on the fact she was not too into fishing and she enjoyed that.  I have never taken my wife and kids fishing and got this positive reaction before so that made my day right there - The fresh fish was a bonus.

The day not over I had decided to drive up to Skaneateles and have lunch - then walk out on the pier.  We left there and went to Camillus to walk thru the Sunflower Maze.  Left there and drove over to Finger lakes Mall to do some shopping then cruised down the west side of Cayuga and cut over to Hector so I could buy some peaches and we got home in time for dinner.  I was exhausted but it was an overall great day and it all started out with a good charter and to that I owe Justin a big  THANK YOU.

For anyone considering a charter and worried about comfort and accessibility, a pontoon boat set up for fishing is extremely comfortable.  Put that Pontoon boat under a captain like Justin and you have yourself an enjoyable experience.

Here are some pics...  Sorry about the rotation - I dono why or how to fix.

post-149943-0-95216400-1471818034_thumb.jpg

post-149943-0-38918000-1471818215_thumb.jpg

post-149943-0-99239700-1471818413_thumb.jpg

post-149943-0-86669600-1471818488_thumb.jpg

post-149943-0-36808600-1471818540_thumb.jpg

post-149943-0-44581700-1471818656_thumb.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to write the post. Always nice to show folks firsthand what we do and how deep it's in our blood. Also probably set the hook in those youngsters as well.

Looks like you picked the right place with the right guide also. Way to go Justin.

Thanks for the kind words guys! Fishing is what you make of it and Joe and his family made the most of their time together enjoying the finger lakes experience. It can't be just about catching as that is never a guarantee...it has to be about the total experience...every group is different and when you take a family or your family it's important not to lose sight of the big picture.