Outboard problem

am1325

I have an issue with my outboard. It is a 02 Evinrude Ficht 225. The other day I let the engine warm up and left the marina. 100 yards into the lake I tried to get her up on plane and the outboard made a loud clunk sound is the best way to describe it and stalled out no warning lights. I thought I may have struck a submerged object and raised it up and it looked good. I started it up without a problem and let it idle, sounded ok as soon as I have it some gas same thing happened. It started again and I idled back to the marina.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Check lower gear oil, seems to sound like you may have a bad tooth or gears are worn down to the point it's slipping the yoke. If not that it could be in the crank end topside. Check oil for metal shavings more than normal or water mixed in oil. Either one is a bad sign

Does it have a shift interrupt switch check to make sure if it does, wiring is not loose. But, turn the prop in neutral engine off..listen, feel for any skip or catch indicating a gear tooth, and like suggestions above, sample the gear lube for metal particles.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Going into bankruptcy and then being purchased by Bombadier there was a lot of bad quality product produced under the brands Evinrude and Johnson in the late 90's and early 2000's.  Hopefully it is nothing major but I would zero in on the powerhead.  

Do you have the diagnostic SW and harness?  Plug in and look for recent fault history.

I'm replacing a Crankshaft Position Sensor this weekend on 1 of my 2 ETEC 200 H.O.'s... it idles fine but soon as you gas on it, it stalls and sputters like it's not even close to being timed.  SW showed a CPS synch fault.  $50 part.