WALLEYE NEAR ROCHESTER

this time of year..... watch the weather and make a trip to erie. walleyes everywhere... if ya want to go a little further there is oneida in syracuse. you will also not be dissapointed there eiyther! areas right in rochester, the genny has some good eyes by the seth green apartments. you can access by boat or land. honeoye lake is also very good but difficult to get em during the day. ya might catch a ton of bass and lots huge gills. conesus also was good to us in the spring but has slowed down a lot since the weeds came up. not sure about bradocks or long pond or any of the other ponds off of ontario but hope this helps

The genny holds fish all summer long. You say you have a 16ft boat, that's perfect. Launch at the genny in Charlotte and make the trek up river. Seth green island will be on your left side before the fast water. Crank baits back trolled or casted in the cut on the west side of the river. Fire tiger is a good color. If your nuts you can get to the fast water on the east side of the river throw out the anchor and let your cranks just swim in the current I like cranks that will dive 5-6ft and up to 8 ft. As a bonus you will catch some of the biggest sheephead you'll ever see as well as some real good sized cats. All on the same cranks. Took a walleye last summer that topped 10lbs.

The Genny is full of fish. The areas pointed out here are the best for 'eyes IMHO. Firetiger patterns do work the best. You will get into big cats and sheephead. You also might have trips where you catch all of those plus LM and SM bass, northerns, rock bass and some perch. It's like a grab bag up there sometimes.

Personally, I have been "upriver" many many times. Despite what I hear, I have never had any trouble with people. We're all there for the same thing which is to catch fish. If you are in a boat, just show some respect and courtesy for those casting from shore. Often, I'll find someone casting who wants fish and I'll give them what I catch. Anyway, I suppose the potential for trouble exists and maybe I've just had a run of luck, but the concern for personal safety might be a little overdramatized. To each his own, I guess.

The walleyes are going to feed up there pretty heavily in the last hour of daylight and into the early dusk. Suggest you fish then and get back before pitch black dark. My bigger concern for personal safety really has to do with hitting something at night on the way out. You'll see trees floating in the water on the way in. Take one of those million candlepower lights on the boat in case you stay late and need to see these obstacles coming back.

Anyway, it's a fun place to fish. Don't know how much jigging I would do unless you love snagging the bottom a lot. There's a strong current in there. Casting plugs will get you fewer snags.

Good Luck,

Grady

i have never had trouble down at the river either, but in broad daylight during the salmon run i have come up to two different people with their cars broken into. actually the people fishing are great just like any other fisherman and if you really want to make friends do what grady did, GIVE SOME FISH!!! i did that during salmon season and the guys would cheer for me when i walked down the steps the next time i was there. they would tell me how they loved that good salmon ;)

oh yeah its in the hood!!! also i have heard of people using jigs with twister tails do pretty well

Lastyear they were doing good for the eyes with a red jig head and white twister tail up by seth green.

For those of you who fish the genny does the 6 mph speed limit end after the last marina on the right? I have been possibly gambling and runnin the bass boat full throttle after turning point park and was wondering if I am in danger of being ticketed.

For those of you who fish the genny does the 6 mph speed limit end after the last marina on the right? I have been possibly gambling and runnin the bass boat full throttle after turning point park and was wondering if I am in danger of being ticketed.

Im not sure about the speed limit but there is alot of stuff in the water. Logs,trees, cars...lol I wouldnt go full out just for the reason of hitting something.

not a 100 percent sure either but i think its 6mph all the way up the river.

It does not end after the marina.

Earlier this year DEC was using radar to enforce.

Keep in mind it is 6MPH MAX and NO wake.

If you are under 6 and casting a big wake you will ticketed as well!

Enjoy the Genny.

RED