Hook replacement and split ring question.

I could use some information on hook replacement, size and make, and split ring size. In the event I have cut hooks on 5 1/2 inch jtd.  Wiley Muskie Killers and if I have to cut one hook do you replace all or just the hook cut. No split rings on from new. I tried contacting Muskie Thrills via e-mail but don't think my wife's work e-mail went thru or it possibly went to junk mail. Thanks and any information would be appreciated.

I have really got big into that this year.. After you hook a big musky tiger or pike the hook should b sharpened or replace anyway.. I like to cut it in the net also to avoid getting it into the hand after few times it gets old.. If you are unsure of the size I would take the lure right to bass pro gander or whatever you have and compare in the hook and split ring section.. Wouldn't hurt to get a bunch of diff sizes I carry anywhere from 1/0-4/0 treble

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by John Edward

I find 5/0's to fit the majority of baits I run. The next time I order hooks I will get an assortment.

I've been using wolverine triple split rings and don't really care for them. They are very wide and can sometimes be next to impossible to get on a bait or hook of certain sizes. I have also stretched one out trying to get it off, I don't think it would ever fail on a fish but I also don't want to find out....

Pretty sure Dale uses 2/0 eagle claw 774 4x heavy on his regular 3 hooked 5.5" killers now.

Turn the screw eye out about a turn or two. Open up the screw eye with a pair of linesman pliers. Take the old hook off and put the new hook on same direction. Close the screw eye back with your pliers. Screw the screw eye back in. Put the open end of the screw eye towards the front of bait.

Thats what we've always done and we've caught lots of fish on those baits. I wouldnt use split rings besides the one he has on the tail hook now. Make sure you T the belly hooks too.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by Ivan

This is a bit tricky because hook size isn’t standardized between different vendors. I.e.: A 2/0 from VMC, Gamakatsu, Mustad, Owner and Eagle Claw will all be of different sizes. Also they make wide gap and long shaft trebles as well often from the same vendor. Trebles come in different strengths from 1x to 4x. The stronger the hook the better it will hold up against large pike – musky’s, but also being heavier it will weight down your bait, possibly effecting its action. As mentioned it’s best to get a variety from say 1/0 to 5/0 in several different weights and types. I would recommend Gamakatsu and Owner for starters. They are among the strongest and sharpest. Also Owner makes amongst the most dependable split ring available.

http://www.gamakatsu.com/

http://www.ownerhooks.com/treblehooks.htm

Edited by NPike

I bought a pair of xl split pliers from lure parts on line (texas something) the easiest pliers i have ever used no stressing the rings

not as brittlealso i was told to use nickel rings over stainless