Last night out of Hughes (8-24-16)

Admiral Byrd and I launched about 3 PM and fished until a little after dark out of his PennYan starting out in 150 ft range and nearly immediately he caught a 5-6 lb brown 110 ft down on a spoon of the rigger.  We basically worked back and forth in the 120-220 area the whole time and I'm not sure whether it was a communist conspiracy or that Bob was driving and made all turns favoring his side of the boat that his side of the boat was the only one that got any hits or caught anything. He nailed a 24 lb mature male king on a downrigger set at 125ft over about150 something of water and seemed like the usual "run of the mill" fish until he got near the boat and saw the net and/or the boat and went totally bonkers trying everything to get loose by diving repeatedly under the boat and we thought for sure he would tangle in the other riggers or the wires but finally got him into the net and we were thankful for the large net and extended handle (which I insisted on bringing beforehand instead of Bobs bait tank scoop size net :lol: .  Bob had a couple more nice hits that didn't quite take on the wire out 290 with one of my home made white flies on it but that was it. Just as darkness was approaching we went to the 200 range and it was "alive" with fish and bait compressed into a narrow band about 68-78 ft down but we couldn't get then to hit anything while going right through them. Where they came from all of a sudden I don't have a clue. The sunset was exquisite and it began to cool a bit which was a big change from the 90 degree oppressive heat we had for several hours out there. Fun time busting balls and doing what we love best besides that. :lol: Only saw two other boats out there the whole time. We only encountered a few fleas and they were a different sort of fleas with little hairy projections on them and they came right off with minimal effort (unlike the other type)

post-145411-0-16403000-1472134281_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-18568200-1472134293_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-91363800-1472134305_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-98507900-1472134317_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Man.....you guys really know how to hurt a guy don't you? :lol: Oh...I forgot to mention about the voodoo doll in my likeness I discovered in the bow storage area after the trip :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Nice fish and great to hear about friends getting together. My friend of 30+ years and I grew up fishing out of Hughes and make a point to get out when life allows. I still have a great memories fishing out of there.

Terry

The biters were all in 110-140. I launched at 11 and fished out to 260 and back. Went 0-5 on matures. I was in the tan Lowe aluminum fishing solo. I think you guys were probably the boat that yelled over something to me. I was driving pretty irradically at that point as I had fish on or dipseys that popped. Every 30 seconds i had something going on. Chinese fire drills! Moonshine geezer spoon took 4 of the 5 hits down 120 fished off a swr burning 2.8 at the ball. The fish out deep must start to come back in as the sun goes down. I've done well out in 150-250 in the evenings in August. Doubles and triples as the sun starts to set. I had a lot of bait and marks way up high 40-60 when I was out deeper.

I fish out of Hughes and have a 5th wheel there.  Yesterday the bite was on in the a.m.  Seemed everyone was hooking but ME.  Had a couple of nice diver hits but nobody home.  Were you out of an Avenger by any chance.  That is what I fish.  thanks

PS  went right by ya if it was you I was heading back west to Hughes