Walker 124mm Deeper diver depth

Hi Guys I am looking for some direction on the depth my divers are reaching. I run a four diver spread all on wire and all 4 divers are 124mm walker deeper divers. I run two of them on #1 setting and two of them on a #3 setting.

Should I be using a 2:1 ratio for the divers set on #1 so 200' line gets 100' down?

Should I be using a 3:1 ratio for the divers set on #3 so 300' line gets 100' down?

I have the "precision trolling big water edition" and follow the Dipsy diver charts but wanted to know if you are finding the Walker/Lurk divers are different.

Thanks for the direction

Terry

Yes and depending on boat speed  it can be better than 2:1. I have also banged bottom in 151 ft of water on a 1 setting 380 out at about 2.2mph GPS. I sometimes run my insides on zero too when I want to really get down there (just have to be careful on turns with riggers out etc). :) I don't usually use the 3 setting a lot if fishing deep just in shallower (may not run as deep as you speed up while the other setting stay down a little better) but the 2 setting frequently and it seems to give enough clearance for the way I run. Don't let the thing slip past the 3 mark as it will usually come right to the surface.

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks Les,

Been kind of a frustrating year as I have not been able to dial in a diver program. Last year I had two braid rods and did nothing with them to speak of. This year I added 4 wire rods to the spread and have only landed a couple lakers and have had a couple releases but nothing there. I've done a couple kings on the riggers but nothing on the DD w/FF. I am starting to second guess the spread I am putting out. I have all 3 of the Keating books and reference them all the time. I typically run a V pattern with 2 DR's 4 Divers and two Lead cores out side. On a positive note I have not had too many issues deploying and running the 4 divers and wanted to thank you as you provided quite a bit of detail in a previous post.

Terry

Note the bolded change above I mistyped when it read 280 and didn't catch it but re-read after Rollie's post. You're very welcome Terry. Good luck out there. :)

Are you running at least 10 foot leaders on your divers? 20 feet would be even better. Slide divers allow even longer leaders. Just my opinion though.

Thanks Les,Been kind

of a frustrating year as I have not been able to dial in a diver program. Last year I had two braid rods and did nothing with them to speak of. This year I added 4 wire rods to the spread and have only landed a couple lakers and have had a couple releases but nothing there. I've done a couple kings on the riggers but nothing on the DD w/FF. I am starting to second guess the spread I am putting out. I have all 3 of the Keating books and reference them all the time. I typically run a V pattern with 2 DR's 4 Divers and two Lead cores out side. On a positive note I have not had too many issues deploying and running the 4 divers and wanted to thank you as you provided quite a bit of detail in a previous post.Terry

They Definitely dive deep.... I didn't realize how deep , but we were fighting a fish last night and had to do a SE troll to keep the fish behind the boat ....anyways started tapping bottom in 115fow at 2.2 down speed on a 3 setting with 290 feet out ....pretty impressive

minion trolling flies

I've used them for years and for all the deep stuff I think they are the best out there although the Chinook #5's have less drag when not trying to go so deep. I have even used them in 180 ft of water near bottom on Seneca.when targeting lakers.

The Chinook divers appear to have some advantages, but it's been a struggle getting them tweaked just right. I have them set now so that a five lb fish will pop them, but a three lb fish won't  :lol:

Seriously, though, they're touchy. Buy unlike Dipsys, once you get them set, they're set--which is good. However, my two outside divers (#4 setting) are tracking markedly different.  I can't figure out why...it has nothing to do with current or depth. And I feel like we've lost more fish after the initial hookup on the Chinooks, too. They may work better without a snubber? I'm considering going back to a Mag Dipsy on the inside #1 deep rod and the 124 mm Deeper Diver on the outside #3 wire next year. It was worth a try to see if I preferred Chinooks. As Les mentioned, they do have less drag and they come in easier.

For the sake of the thread, we run the Mags figuring a 2:1 and the Deeper Divers figuring a 3:1 on those settings. With the Chinooks, we weren't touching bottom in 72' yesterday with 205' out at 2.3 mph, so it's at least 3:1 on both #1 and #4 settings at those depths.

I edited this first sentence as I misinterpreted something above. I can get quite a bit deeper with the Deeper Divers than the Mags or the Chinooks. One factor not mentioned thus far is the side of the boat the divers are run on because most of the time one side is sort of the "leeward side" with even the slightest turning and the other side is faster to the outside and probably lifts a bit and current raises hell with figuring depth too and may "push" the diver down a bit on the inside or going with the current or either of them sideways perhaps :)

Edited by Sk8man