Aluminum boat hard to load

jcritt1

I recently purchased an old 14' aluminum boat to be able to get on the water quicker and easier than getting my bigger boat ready and all that. Took its maiden voyage last weekend and had a hard time getting it on the trailer. Trailer has carpet bunks and the boat did not slide on well. I realize water levels are low and was unable to get the trailer deep enough without the truck being half in the water, any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Before doing anything I'd be trying to launch at a different place where you have enough water. That way you can even float the boat onto the trailer if need be. Ifyou have trouble where there is enough water  you may need to look at adjusting the bunks on the trailer.

The height of the trailer ball can make a difference, when I switched tow vehicles a few years ago I suddenly had all sorts of problems launching and had to adjust the height of the ball to get things right.  For me it was the relation between the bunk height and the front roller.  I have a 16' shallow v so probably similar trailer setup.  I had to have the bunks low enough I could get the bow onto the roller just by pulling it in. 

As this setup is new to you, the winch on the trailer may be too small for the boat.

A larger winch with with a longer handle and different gear ratio, along with a strap, not rope used to pull the boat forward.

I have a 17ft. Starcraft deep-vee, full windshield, riggers and weights, and a 300lb. 90hp outboard.... and can crank the boat up the bunks with minimal trailer in the water, I'm 59 years old and 160 lbs.

You can buy a can of silicone spray and spray the carpet on the bunks with the silicone spray. Your boat will go on and of like greased lightning.

Most bunks are attached to adjustable bases. Maybe you should adjust the bunk angle a bit. ( the front end a bit higher)

Let gravity help. After you load the boat as best you can, pull the boat out, turn your entire rig around and drive down the ramp vehicle first. Then try winching your boat the rest of the way on the trailer with wet bunks and gravity helping. It worked for me once in a pinch.