Out Of The Little Salmon

We started the day with a funny incident that could have been very nasty. While stepping from the boat onto the dock I slipped and fell in between the boat and the dock into the water. The ride out to the grounds was fairly chilly.

Once on our waypoint ,the real fun started. For one thing,we were so far away from the combat fishing fleet that we could pull 500 copper on the boards without ever coming anywhere close to another boat even though there must have been 50 or 60 rigs trying to catch the big one. We ended up with 5 kings all well up in the 20 pound range and 2 beautiful cohos each just over 10 pounds. All the fish were caught on f/f  between 90 and 120 down over anywhere between 130 and 170. The water temperature was around 51 degrees at around 110 down,but there were places where the down temps at 110 down went from 51 up to 69  and then down again because of underwater slick lines

So it seems that the wait is over and they are finally here.

Edited by rolmops

A lot of what you are seeing there on that graph is thermocline/plankton blooms.

We had similar screens and sometimes way denser ones. The interesting part for me was the relation ship between the screen getting dense coloring and the water temperatures going up. I think that these are small patches of warmer water coming out of the (Oswego) river loaded with organic material. The amazing thing is that this warm water was down at the bottom under colder water. It was around these temperature break lines that we caught our cohos at a depth of about 100 down slightly higher than where we caught the kings.

Edited by rolmops

In 100 120 ft of water just west of 9mi. the cold water was on the bottom 5 0r 10 ft. Depending on exactly where you were, but mostly the bottom 5 ft. Just above that was 65 70 degree water. The fish occupied both warm and cold water. Had 6 diver bites yesterday on 220 and 240 settings over 105 110. So the math tells me 70, 80 down on the warm side.

Hey Gill. We had 2-3 passes through same are with blank screen or maybe a single hook.

I've seen these screens before but this finder is new so switched to chirp/HD, and those HOOKS were FISH. Also look at depth for HOOKS as had 51* on Fish Hawk 93' down - right where hooks are. Dragged it for 1hr with everything in the box to have no takers...

Pulled a 14# Coho out of it this am

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Can anyone give me an update of lake conditions this afternoon. Looking to go up tomorrow, marine forecast says waves 1 foot or less this afternoon, yet I'm in central NY and it's blowing W-NW 19mph. Finding it hard to believe there's one foot waves or less in the bay. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app