Navionics advise

Joe W

Hey guys, Hoping someone could give me some advice on navionics chips.

I am considering buying a chartplotter for my boat and need it to show depth cartagraphy for the east coast hudson river for striper fishing. some chart plotters come preloaded with navionics gold north america and others have navionics plus. Was wondering which of these would do the job ? or both ? Thank you for any advice .

When you say preloaded they are not. The maps are coming on a SD card with a mini (MSD) card so it can be use in differrent model of chartplotter. The newer chartplotter comes with a Navionics+. 

To get an idea on what you are getting the best way is to look at the webapp page on Navionics.com

Click on the link: https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating@9&key=odfzFr%7B~aM

Yea Joe, Wallyandre is right, at least with the lowrance products, it came with lakes insight or something, I called Navionics, it was the best move I made!! Um I told them I fish from Pa. To the northeast of LakeO, he asked what about the SLR, yea that to, then it loads on the pc. You can see what's covered and the depth contours also, plus a 118 other lakes included, I think it's 1 step down from the Platinum, because my unit couldn't process the platinum chip, depending on the unit, that will dictate what the unit can handle. But the area you want to cover you need to go onto their website then call to make sure your going to get what you want.

Edited by pap

all 3 of my Lowrance Elite units came with BaSe maps for quite a few bodies of water pre-loaded plus the Navionics Gold SD.actually find the Lowrance maps to be more accurate on certain bodies of water but the Hudson is not one of them. It has Hudson River maps but the Navionics ones are more accurate. Hope this helps

Keep in mind many lakes will have the contour lines and they mean nothing. Otisco for example on the platinum edition has 1 foot contours but they aren't even close as it's a computer guess at best....auto chart live from humminbird is an awesome tool if you wanna troll tight on structure using your GPS. Create your own map without uploading data to the Internet.