making own rocket launcher

I have a 1989 Thompson 240 fisherman and want to put a rocket launcher on it but don't want to pay all that money for one I know how to rig aluminum so ill make my own just wanted to see if anyone made there own and how far apart should I do the tubes for the rods and anything yous think I should add to it you know after you make one you say I should have done this or put that on so I'm just in the designing stage and figured I start asking questions

. thanks guys

I made mine several years ago. I will try to get measurements tomorrow when i get home from work.. I used two six inch burts tracks for the base so it can be removed from the boat.

For what it's worth, here's a few posts by Dukdog explaining how he made his...and a great job he did too.

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/42119-helping-my-little-boat-fish-big/

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/43054-update-to-making-my-little-boat-fish-big/

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/43289-little-boat-fishing-big/

I bought a Great Lakes Planer Rocket Launcher and the verticle masts are exactly 7' apart. That was enough room for 8 tubes, 8" apart. I have an 8 1/2' beam so I had room for 8 of them. Here's a pic of mine.

post-151648-0-89369900-1472514912_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thun

Well I made my own also and I put 4 on, I didn't have a aluminum mig at the time so I took my planer mast and made a base it was like 4"s higher then my canopy top so I duplicated one for the other side. I used the brakes and wheels, then I welded a tab on each pole and used a piece of 3" c channel for the cross piece and notched the channel to fit my tabs on the planer masts, the I used one of my rod holders for a idea of the angle I wanted the pole holders. I had 2 1/2" stainless pipe and cut them on the angle that was determined by my rod holders and I had enough to cut 4 holders and they look good any more would out of place. On the front I welded 2 tabs for foreward lights, on the backside I welded 4 tabs two for lights in the back and 2 near the outer corners for lights to shine on my boards which I painted orange and put that reflector tape required by the D.O.T. I made a light bar toggle switch bar and wired the hole works with a 4 prong square trailer plug so I can split the wires and take the whole works apart in just a few minutes. Pretty slick I think. I'll have to put a pic. on here you can see the rod holders on my profile pic. not great but not the greatest either. Cost maybe $30.00 with the connectors and fuse block. But the led lights were expensive. I can assemble or take down by myself.

when I had my 24ft Penn yan hardtop. I just purchased tite-lock rod holders and screwed them to the top across the back. spaced about 8" apart. they were adjustable to what ever angle you want to have them at. they could be folded down flat to the roof  when not in use which is what I needed to do to store the boat in the garage.

For what it's worth, here's a few posts by Dukdog explaining how he made his...and a great job he did too.

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/42119-helping-my-little-boat-fish-big/

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/43054-update-to-making-my-little-boat-fish-big/

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/43289-little-boat-fishing-big/

I bought a Great Lakes Planer Rocket Launcher and the verticle masts are exactly 7' apart. That was enough room for 8 tubes, 8" apart. I have an 8 1/2' beam so I had room for 8 of them. Here's a pic of mine.

How long is your boat Thun? That must be a stable ride, I have a 22 ft cuddy and my is under 8ft. For a open concept that boat is really nice. I guess there is a pro & con to every boat as I have learned buying this boat, my next one will be differant in many ways. Nice ride pap. Oh yea I remember that, he used a lot of ideas from LOU guys but he had a good mind set before he ever started. Very versatile and ingenuity was the best part of his mindset. Edited by pap

tandmbait, Mine's a 2012 too but I bought it as a left over in 2013. The agreement of sale states, "Converible Top with Boot and Front Curtain and Walk Through Curtain...$940.00. They're calling the bimini a convertible I think because the only boot I have is for the bimini.

The gunwales are 11" wide with rod lockers that I find too small for the bigger rods I use, so I converted them to tackle boxes and wired them with led strip lights for the glow stuff. And they're the perfect width for 8" flashers so I borrowed (stole) an idea from those flasher boxes and now one locker holds about 50-8" and half a dozen 11"'ers. The other locker holds about 75 spoons, 8 magnum dipsy's and 36 stickbaits. So between the RL and the converted rod lockers, I've eliminated several tackle boxes and rods cluttering up the deck. Those lockers also prevented me from mounting a track system and really screwed up my rigger locations hence, the boards up the sides of the gunwales.

post-151648-0-70206300-1472578488_thumb.jpg

Yea ok then Thun, with that wide beam it's quite deceiving you would think it's a 20' ride. Very nice bet it handles LadyO quite well. Take care and be safe out there!! Thanks for the quick return. PAP.

Yes I made it. What other pictures do you want? Starting to get dark out now so if reply is later I can get them tomorrow. Never welded aluminum before so the welds are not great looking but it does the job.

Thanks for the well wishes pap! And those are beautiful Richard, nice job.

Your most welcome Thun. I believe if the owner is happy with his/her boat than one should show appreciation towards there toy. Adding a light to the back is a good idea I actually put two on for the back!!!! Great ideas guys I actually put my reels for my boards on the upright support on mine also, my boat sits high on the water so I mounted my reels handles starboard side on the outside, and port on the inside, for ease of use, if your right handed, just reverse for lefty.