8/28 Cayuga just before Dark

Headed out of Dean's. Setup right out the shoot at 100fow. Trolled south till ran in the first break in the houses marking very little and no bait. Turned and headed north and started marking a lot of fish between 40 and 60 ft. Must of had my drag set to tight because when I finally got a hit the tip of the pole bent right over. Dipsey tripped and brought a nice LL to the surface. Did one jump and snapped 12 lbs test... I was disappointed since it was one of the biggest LLs I have ever had on... 0/2 but now I got the shakedown trip out of the way with my new to me boat. Can't wait to get back out there.

Should I use a heavy leader ? I would really like to land one of these large LLs.... Sad part is I landed a 10 lbs laker using 6lbs test...

Haven't been able to get any Lakers. Been running between. 2.2 and 3.1 surface by GPS. I know surface means little... But its better then nothing

Sent from my XT1528 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Oops double post... Just spoon. Umm idk its the small spools they sell at Walmart. I'm going to have to get better stuff. Using stuff from last year( first year trolling was last year). Bought a 18' foot boat and kicker so I'm getting back into it after all summer rebuilding the motor

Sent from my XT1528 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yeah thats something that makes a big difference. I use 12lb seaguar red label florocarbon for spoon dipsys and although i shouldnt say it... not a break off at all this year with it and a big thing i make sure of is to make sure to not let rods with leaders or your spool of line sit oit in the sun or heat during storage. It weakens any line and will cause break offs. That is something that is often over looked but will keep your line strength top notch for those spunky salmon and rainbows. And always keep a fairly lose drag on a wire dipsy, i always let my dipsys creep out to depth on a light drag in the holder then just reach up and tighten it until it just occasionally clicks.Also you want the dipsy set tight enough so that if your boat is rocking in waves it wont trip but a slight jerk of the rod will pop it.

I'm not sure how your boat is set up but don't worry about getting line in the kicker motor. Maybe just me but something would really have to screw up for that to happen. I run the 12 lb red lable also and use a uni knot for all of my connections. Never have had a break off. Good luck.

I use seaguar red label leader with almost everything in crystal clear water attached to main with double uni knot.  Break offs are very rare.   Depending on the application determines the lb rating.   I use everything from 6lb to 12lb.

• 2 weeks later...