Legacy- 2016 Deer Season

Legacy

Cedar trees provide nice cover but if you don't have cedar trees in your area I probably would pick a different evergreen. Why? Deer eat them in winter and it effects venison flavor. Secondly, if you have apple trees around they will develop a rust disease from the cedars

I guess I should clarify.  I didn't know anything you said except that deer eat them in the winter when the browse is low.  The trees are for my yard.   If I wanted deer cover I would pick a different tree for sure.   I would like to get some apple/pear trees in the near future.

We put in Keiffer Pears from Lowes this Spring (Grow Your Own brand), and for <$20 each they look fantastic. We also put in Asian Pears from the Garden Factory and all but one died. I think that they must have taken recent transplants and dumped them in large pots...most of the substrate fell off when we were transplanting. Nothing beats a good root system. Anyway, I need one more this fall to pollinate the remaining tree.

Otherwise,the hundred or so chestnut and red oak that I propagated since February (as per the pics) will going in, along with a bunch of containerized stuff from Jim Engel at White Oak Nursery. Most of what I planted last fall from him has survived the drought, so he has good stuff. My main objective is to increase diversity on the property. As for food...there's bunches of wild apples, so I don't lack for soft mast. Half of the place was a tamarack plantation though, so there's not much else except some silver maple, pin cherry, black cherry and stupid ash that's going to be a pita over the next few years.The other half is thick with dogwood and has a bit more diversity going. It's a nice piece of property, but not without it's challenges.

oaks_zpsidjl68yv.jpegchestnuts_zps2ukyhbym.jpegimage_zpsqjtcdgc0.jpeg

Edited by Gator

Look at Waffler Nursery in Wolcott. They have disease resistant "Wildlife" packages of trees that are fire blight resistant. The pricing used to be $200 for 10 trees that were bare root stock and they deliver them to your door.  Be careful of Lowes trees as some varieties are not suitable given that they are not disease resistant.

If you think you're just going to drop a few trees in the woods without fencing and wrapping to prevent girdling of the bark, or pruning and have a nursery in 3-5 years, you're wrong. The deer and smaller critters will destroy the trees, especially the new buds without protection. QDMA tree planting is tough and takes preventative maintenance, but in the long run nothing can beat a pear tree on fruit production for your wild game.

Good luck gents,

Chris

Curious If people are seeing many acorns this year.  The white oak  at my house has quite a few, but not as many as last year.  My two red oaks at home have not produced any for the last 2 years.  I`m seeing some in the woods, seems like not as many as last year. 

I put in ten Dunstan last Spring, bare root from Chestnut Hill Tree Farm. Nine leaved out, 90% not bad. Three of the tubes got knocked over and the trees browsed over the winter. However, the remaining trees, which looked great last fall, didn't continue growth from the main leader. Some of them resprouted from the roots, but it's not vigorous growth. I have clay soil, and even though I selected the site for good drainage, chestnut don't like wet feet. So my experience with Dunstans has been less than stellar. I have hope for the Chinese that are going in this fall.

well all stands are accounted for and everything is hung that needed to be hung. Moved some things around today and yesterday and hung two brand new sets on a new piece. Probably got some poison oak to show for it too.

Bring it 2016!

Yes deer move in the wind but can you spot them without being able to hear them? Do you know how wind drift effects arrow flight on your rig? Last Saturday I decided to check how much a 25 mph wind would laterally displace my arrow at thirty yards I found my lighter arrows displaced 8". Interestingly my 500 grain arrows displaced about 1/2 " less so not much difference although the heavier arrows flew better and entered into the target more true. 8" is the difference between a good shot and a gut shot. That is why I don't shoot past 30 yards on a twitchy whitetail. If you are going to hunt in the wind I would deplore every bow hunter to practice in the wind.

Edited by Gill-T