Legacy- 2016 Deer Season

Legacy

On my way to our lease yesterday, we traveling south on Drake rd in Hamlin and noticed two deer laying dead in the ditch. Pulled over to investigate and saw two bucks piled on top of each other. Both were missing their back straps. The one was a huge body and the head was missing!! The other was a first rack 6pt. Will a little more investigation we noticed the they were shot with a rifle and not that long ago!! Poachers make me sick!! I wish I could find the scum bags who did this! I did contact the DEC even though there us nothing they can do at this point I'm sure.

0ead7d0023cfb432d7b5cca911dde38c.jpg

We had that happen also. We have not a farm in Chili and we decided to walk the tracks to come in backside of farm and we came across a pile of carcasses. Call DEC and them and a trooper showed up, ended up being 13 deer in pile mostly does some had straps taken out and other weren't even touched. The bucks were caped out and heads taken. Made me sick cause we had some of those bucks in camera and they were big but not prime yet. Never found out who was dumping them either as the DEC never found any slugs or shells in the pile or deer. Poachers are smart and lord knows if I ever caught one **** is gonna fly

On my sixteenth birthday my father bought me my very first gun. At the time 16 was the age that all of us entered the woods to hunt deer for the first time and that gun was given as a present for just that reason. It was a used Mossberg 500 12 gauge and its what help me harvest my first deer. This past week I passed the gun on to my son. This upcoming season, he will be joining us in the big game woods, at age fourteen, in the same right of passage that we all had a chance to experience as a youth. He was pretty excited and I might of been just as excited! In the Spring he shot his first turkey and im hoping that his luck continues into the 2016 deer season for him!

Has anybody used a Scrape Dripper before?  I had never heard of it until a few days ago.  I always just used a piece of cloth soaked in doe urine, but the idea of it supposedly dripping only during daylight hours seems like it could help to attract bucks during shooting light.  Just wanted to see if anybody else has had any experience using this product?

Yes sir they are effective when used over a scrap or make a mock scrape. The best time to use it is when we start getting the cold nights which are coming up. Now would the time to get it out, as the weather gets colder hopefully and these bucks start bldg their hormones they will be more and more effective until the rut then who knows what they do but I have used estrous in one as well.

Geez Sean....man how time flies...it seems like just a few months ago he was born. That is what happens when you become a dinosaur...someone hits the "fast forward button" on your life :lol:

Has anybody used a Scrape Dripper before?  I had never heard of it until a few days ago.  I always just used a piece of cloth soaked in doe urine, but the idea of it supposedly dripping only during daylight hours seems like it could help to attract bucks during shooting light.  Just wanted to see if anybody else has had any experience using this product?

Ive used one. Not a fan. I like to freshen mock scrapes on my way in to the stand and I also believe there are better scrape scents available on the market.

On my way to our lease yesterday, we traveling south on Drake rd in Hamlin and noticed two deer laying dead in the ditch. Pulled over to investigate and saw two bucks piled on top of each other. Both were missing their back straps. The one was a huge body and the head was missing!! The other was a first rack 6pt. Will a little more investigation we noticed the they were shot with a rifle and not that long ago!! Poachers make me sick!! I wish I could find the scum bags who did this! I did contact the DEC even though there us nothing they can do at this point I'm sure.

0ead7d0023cfb432d7b5cca911dde38c.jpg

Sickening scum of the scum of the earth......so sad.

Well the poison ivy has taken over my arms as a result of moving stands last weekend and it sucks. Apparently short sleeves are never a good idea when hugging a tree and attaching straps. Hopefully its worth the pain and suffering when its game time. I also moved one last tree stand before the season this week and check a camera close to the site. All does so far which is quite typical of the camera at this time of year.

PICT0013_zpsfzniwp3g.jpg

PICT0019_zps9vyh3yo8.jpg

Same here - deer are still in their summer feeding patterns and I have many doe on my cameras but very few bucks right now. My property is very similar to your situation although there's pics of a few daytime core, smaller basket rack bucks. That being said, once the rut kicks into high gear, the bucks really start chasing in our territory and the cams really seem to pick up lots of daytime activity of travelling beasts looking for their mates.

Jeff Sturgis' book Mature Buck Success by Design is a good book which focuses on some of these theories, and it has been a good read this past year

Good luck,

Chris

Edited by momay4000

Well the poison ivy has taken over my arms as a result of moving stands last weekend and it sucks. Apparently short sleeves are never a good idea when hugging a tree and attaching straps. Hopefully its worth the pain and suffering when its game time. I also moved one last tree stand before the season this week and check a camera close to the site. All does so far which is quite typical of the camera at this time of year.

PICT0013_zpsfzniwp3g.jpg

PICT0019_zps9vyh3yo8.jpg

I feel your pain with the poison ivy. I just got over poison sumac it wasn't fun. Best thing I found is a product called Tec NU. As soon as you come home wash with it good and it really helps

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

You and me both, Rob. This was to be the year that I pushed out to 50+ yards to practice...I figured shooting 50 would make 30 a chip shot. Then I got some poison ivy below my eye. Next thing I know, my eyes are tearing and I'm on steroid eye drops. Luckily, poison ivy doesn't itch on me, it just looks like crap. Anyway, I'm lucky now to be able to group them tight at 20 yards. There's always one arrow that's off, although Keith mentioned that I should mark that arrow and determine if it's the same one that's off each time, which is a good idea. I'm where you are at 35 yards, okay but not great. 50 isn't even on the table. Hopefully the eyes will calm down and I'll be able to shoot further soon.

You and me both, Rob. This was to be the year that I pushed out to 50+ yards to practice...I figured shooting 50 would make 30 a chip shot. Then I got some poison ivy below my eye. Next thing I know, my eyes are tearing and I'm on steroid eye drops. Luckily, poison ivy doesn't itch on me, it just looks like crap. Anyway, I'm lucky now to be able to group them tight at 20 yards. There's always one arrow that's off, although Keith mentioned that I should mark that arrow and determine if it's the same one that's off each time, which is a good idea. I'm where you are at 35 yards, okay but not great. 50 isn't even on the table. Hopefully the eyes will calm down and I'll be able to shoot further soon.

My thoughts too. If i can shoot 40-50 yards than inside 40 will look easy.