Legacy- 2016 Deer Season

Legacy

Had a encounter with a big buck tonight. Looked like the same chocolate racked 9 pt that I couldn't get a shot on thanksgiving last season. He made his way onto the field just before 6. He bumped, chased, and scent checked all 3 does on the field. Had him at 60 yards. Good stuff!

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Miserable night; I thought the rain had passed, but I was wrong. Had a small buck grunting at two buttons and some doe with fawns that sensed something wasn't right and wouldn't come in closer than 30 yards. Too long a shot for the conditions, for me at least. Twenty yards broadside and tied to a tree would likely work  :rofl:

Sucks to be stuck at work! Next week is when I decided to take my week off....... not sure if that was wise but it's set and done. Everyone that's out Goodluck and knock em stiff!!

Edited by JakeyBaby

Text book perfect morning to be in the woods. lots of does and fawns on their feet. they seem to be very cautious. probably sick of being chased by young bucks. only one small rack so far.

had a 8 pt  we nicknamed "tourches" for his 8" brow tines at 32yds last night slightly downhill ..shot for 30 but he ducked me..... yes i mmmmmmmissed 

the boys are def starting to do some chasing down in steuben

Change of scenery for me tonight. I've been hunting hard back home (oswego county) but since they cut the corn 1 1/2 weeks ago the deer have disappeared. I'm at my property in Wayne county and there's lots of fresh scrapes and good sign. Let's hope the deer cooperate. post-144505-147793692133_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Change of scenery for me tonight. I've been hunting hard back home (oswego county) but since they cut the corn 1 1/2 weeks ago the deer have disappeared. I'm at my property in Wayne county and there's lots of fresh scrapes and good sign. Let's hope the deer cooperate. post-144505-147793692133_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Charlie A. says that this year will be much like 2013 with brief periods of intense "mini" rut activity prior to the real deal on the 13th/14th. It's safe to say that we're a ways from lockdown. As with all generalizations though, that may not reflect your specific experience. Where we hunt in Orleans county the bucks are just getting on their feet during daylight hours and the chase hasn't started yet. In terms of relative period compared to past years, I'm with Charlie.

Southern tier:  Before Saturday, I didn't see a scrape line or rub.  On Saturday, I saw 2 scrape lines that were very fresh and a couple rubs.  I was getting concerned (with no visual sign) with all the reports coming from the northen part of the state but now it is definitely starting to happen.  Getting pumped...

I'm getting a lot of nighttime scrape activity. Called in a few young bucks before the corn was cut in one of my spots. But no chasing or daytime movement from the mature bucks yet. I let this guy walk at 50 yds late shotgun season last year due to being tagged out already. He's visiting his scrape line between 11 at night and 4:00 am. Hopefully next week will bring cold temps and daytime movement. That's my week off for the rut.post-149813-14779480528557_thumb.jpg

Conditions seem right. I can only hope they get the memo. I past 5 scrapes along the hedgerow on the walk in.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-139598-14779488480363_thumb.jpg