Legacy- 2016 Deer Season

Legacy

Yeah, it seems crazy but another guy I know had a buck and doe in a thicket close to him Tuesday evening that wouldn't move. I favor the theory of short bursts of mini-ruts, associated with some mating activity, followed by a frenzy starting the end of next week. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  :rofl:

Edited by Gator

I told you guys that some doe were in and breeding has started...remember it's a marathon not a sprint,every property will be different.Doe will come in and get breed and buck will be on the prowl for his next conquest.It's boom or bust but just know at any second you could have a chasing frenzy or buck trolling past ...kudos to those that are hunting in this down pour,not for me I feel the deer don't really move in heavy rain but when it stops look out

So I have always run Moultrie cameras. A few years ago I had a pile of cameras (a hodge podge of different Moultrie models). I had issues with three of them. Id like to say that their customer service is great but... I sent them to Moultrie for repair and they responded with "theres nothing we can do". They did however offer replacements which were discontinued models at a unbelievable price.  So i bought 5 Moultrie Dr65IRxt ($100+ camera with a purchase price of $50 each). They are on their second season and i now have an issue with one of them. Infared is failing so I no longer can get night time pics. WTF. I have owned 15 Moultrie cameras, 13 of those i have purchased in the past 5 years, and 4 of those have issues. I think i am done with Moultrie. I cant see spending top dollar on cameras because of the threat of theft so I am in search of the best $100 camera to replace my Moutries. I purchased a Wildgame Innovations Illusion 10 Lightsout camera and so far it seems to be a better camera than the moultries. Recommendations?

Legacy. I have owned both moultrie and wild game.

Neither company do repairs or service there cams. I had the same problem about 20 cams half working and the other half not. I called wild game and they said your cam is 2 yrs old I said yes then he says there is nothing we can do for you we do not fix them.

So I said what should I do with it?

He said it's totally up to you !!

Me : so basically it's garbage might as well toss it out!!

Him: it's your camera do what you want with it !!!!

Never again will I buy wild game innovations cams again.

Since I have been getting cuddebacks great cams and great customer service and they have the best warranty out to 5yrs and actually fix and sell parts for them.

$99 to $150. Worth every dime

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Honestly its no different than any other year. Peak breeding typically occurs during the second half of November but there is certainly breeding that occurs on either side of that. I made note of the lone fawns (especially doe fawns) because that to me is a great sign that mom may be being bred. Hopefully the seasonable weather pattern holds and we have a great rut to finish out the archery season.

moon_phase_diagram_574_810_s.jpg

Legacy. I have owned both moultrie and wild game.

Neither company do repairs or service there cams. I had the same problem about 20 cams half working and the other half not. I called wild game and they said your cam is 2 yrs old I said yes then he says there is nothing we can do for you we do not fix them.

So I said what should I do with it?

He said it's totally up to you !!

Me : so basically it's garbage might as well toss it out!!

Him: it's your camera do what you want with it !!!!

Never again will I buy wild game innovations cams again.

Since I have been getting cuddebacks great cams and great customer service and they have the best warranty out to 5yrs and actually fix and sell parts for them.

$99 to $150. Worth every dime

I second that.  I have been using Cuddeback cameras for over 10 years now, and i will continue to buy them in the future.  One of our cameras is about 8 years old and we are still using it.  Right now, the newer cameras i have are a Cuddeback IR plus, and 4 of their Long Range IR cameras.  My two favorite things about Cuddeback cameras are the 1/4 second trigger speed (resulting in less empty pictures), and the ability of the four Long Range IR cameras to be set up to take both pictures and videos at the same time.  I have all of mine set up to take 3 "burst mode" pictures, then a video immediately after the 3rd picture.

I bought a Moultrie a few years ago because i found a great deal on one, but i was not happy with the quality of the pictures i was getting and ended up returning it a week later.

I had a cuddeback and returned it was a piece of crap,maybe I got a bad one ?

Again nothing trumps Reconyx period...$550 is the down fall

Brownings have been good so far in a $129-$149 price range

I only use black out  no flash type cameras the infra red or low glow spook deer

Covert...junk

Moultrie...junk

Primos...junk

Wild game...junk

I've hear good reports on Bushnell but never tried one as I think their optics are crap and couldn't get past that fact

Dan i definitely agree that Reconyx is the best there is, but like you said you're going to pay for it.  I've never owned one personally but i have a good friend that has several of them and nothing else compares to the pictures that a Reconyx takes.  I have also heard good things about Brownings, so in my personal opinion if you are looking for a camera in the $100 -$150 range, i would look at Brownings and Cuddebacks.  Just my two cents though..

My best cameras are Bushnell, I get an entire season on 1 set of 8 AA batteries. Wild game innovations are junk everyone I have ever had quits working within the 1st 2 years. I have had some luck with Moultrie. I have 2 Bushnell trophy cams that are in the 5 season and still perform flawlessly, as long as my daughter remembers to turn them back on after switching out the cards.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes i agree, some in heat for sure. i have had my best luck seeing mature deer on their feet in day light from oct 25 - 30th. The bucks with age class on them have gone through the rut multiple times and so they are aware that some will go into heat early. Look at the bucs harvested in previous posts around those dates, and a buddy got that big one i passed the 28th,( proly go 135 as a 8, opps i may have mis juged em) wich is the date i killed my buck last year.As those  first racked bucks are runing around crazy the matures are taking there time and mythodicaly scent checking the does. That the time frame on my perticular property as observed over the lst 15 yrs, like stated above every block of land is little difrent based on age class stucture and numbers of deer. Headed to camp at noon down in steuben county, place been sitin dormant for 3 weeks so should be hot! Then back up to 8a to get onto my best spots that have yet to be tampered with, hopefully, lol. Ben holding out so that i stiill have my buck tag for this 5 day hunt at camp, got alot of time into the land with plots, stand ect to not give it a good go with a buck tag still in my pocket.wil be off the grid for a little bit, so good luck to all.

I've run every camera and I keep going back to bushnell. My original bushnell is 7 years old bought new in 2009. They have great battery life and the pictures are good quality. I also run $80 Wildgame cams, near property lines where If it gets stolen I'm not out a whole lot. Buck is bushnell and the doe jumping is Wildgame post-140970-14781784784842_thumb.jpgpost-140970-14781785231603_thumb.jpg