Legacy- 2016 Deer Season

Legacy

Perfect night but zero movement so far, something has got to happen the wife is starting to hate me.

You mean it's not blowing like hell up there right now?? Holy Moly you couldn't shoot a deer with buckshot gun, the trees are swaying 2ft or more I don't give a shyt how big around they are.

What's everyone's opinion on the full moon and affecting daytime movement? I have read countless articles and it seems they are 50/50. Just looking for individual thoughts/experiences

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Heres a good read... http://www.moonguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Movement-with-the-Moon-White-tailed-Deer-Activity-and-Solunar-Events-2016-03-01-1.pdf?mc_cid=7230a92356&mc_eid=47ac238ef4

My brother in law swears by the moon phases!! He has some sort of a wheel. He plans his vacation time and everything else by this damn wheel. Oh vacation time, I mean for hunting, not going on a cruise or something like that. I tell ya I used it for hunting coyotes, either it's right or because it's in your head its a case of coincidence? We might have not shot more but we did see more.

Hears a question. The rut is on how many days have you spent in the woods prior to this event. Temperature, scent you leave in woods, does in area,moon phase,weather conditions. There are a lot of variables to consider. If it was easy everybody would bag a trophy. By the way how often do you fellow hunters wash your clothes? This forum has been great also

Been out a few days, 8A, not much sign but saw a bruiser 8 twice on the way down the road at dark from the property. This morning was the best day. Too windy though. Swaying around in my climber I did NOT like standing up much.

This morning had some stand p orn. 4 point made a huge ruckus behind me chasing a doe. She stopped he jumped on. 30 yards behind me. First for that one!..then he peed and anointed his tarsels after the afterglow...oops!

Back to work tomorrow. Crap!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Tonight was slow and like normal the wind was about 180* out from what they called for. Did see 1 doe fairly early though and a small 6 came running in when I rattled about a half hour before dark. Hopefully the cold morning gets them up on their feet.

The rut..... deer in heat is a deer in "heat". Hot or cold Temps doesn't stop her from going in her cycle. She's going to get run whether she likes it or not . If u don't see lots of buck action he's 1 step ahead of u . He knows who's going in heat and when . only way to find out is GO GETEM BOY...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hears a question. The rut is on how many days have you spent in the woods prior to this event. Temperature, scent you leave in woods, does in area,moon phase,weather conditions. There are a lot of variables to consider. If it was easy everybody would bag a trophy. By the way how often do you fellow hunters wash your clothes? This forum has been great also

I have had 20 sits this year on two different properties, on a total of 6 stands. I have seen 107 deer YTD, and 49 buck sightings (not different deer but different sightings). Only two absolute beauties and the remainder have been small 1.5 to 2.5 yr old deer. Doe galore early season, bucks have outnumbered doe 8:1 the past two weeks during the rut. Deer sightings have gone down substantially the more scent I have put in my woods and my first sits in virgin stands have been superb. 

I wash my clothes pre and post season, but try and shower with scent free shampoo before each hunt. I do not wash my clothes after every hunt unless soaked in blood. I always wear rubber boots. I always wear a facemask

I hunt the wind every single hunt, hunt a trailing front when accompanied by building high pressure and I follow Jeff Sturgis' rules on "high quality" vs "low quality" sits. 

I have never followed moon phases because I do not believe in it.

All this being said, given our complex personal lives including kids, jobs, etc, etc, many of my hunts revolve around these restrictions rather than the 35,000 different rules on when to be in the woods.

I have become a much better hunter the past ten years b/c of forums like this and paying attention to details, reading everything I can get my hands on, wind mapping my properties and hunting perimeter stands early season to save my best stands for quality November sits. This has paid great dividends in seeing many more mature bucks and being able to harvest them.

I agree that this forum is great.

To harvest one mature deer is luck, two is even luckier. However, to do it more times than that IMO takes dedication to the sport, paying attention to the tiniest of details, and skill.

Just my two coins - good luck in the field,

Chris

Nice video not bad off a phone ... Nice double!!!! U the man

Sent from my SM-N920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

wasnt me shooting i already  tagged 3 deer!   Just wanted to be out with my buddy it was him shooting  he has missed a few this year already and pulled it together with me there so pretty cool!   

https://www.facebook.com/david.jacobs.106/videos/1347863368559876/

zoomed in video on the kill shot of the buck!   

awesome brian you got to share that with you son!   

Edited by machzrcr

I have a lot of different bucks of all sizes on camera. Unfortunately, 90â„… at night. I'm starting to think they are bedding across the road and coming over at night. Kinda disappointing.

Brian, awesome job with Brandon!

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

Sat all day today... Took a 2 hr break for lunch. Dont think i even saw a squirrel move. Wind was brutal. Fresh scrapes and rubs everywhere. Going to give it a try again tomorrow am. Hopefully better luck tomorrow.

Also, I wash my hunting clothes after each hunt unless Im at camp.... At camp outer garments stay outside and fresh base layer before each hunt.