Legacy- 2016 Deer Season

Legacy

Potentially the last sit of the year yesterday evening. I hunted the same stand I started the year in, so there's some symmetry to the season. I was hoping to stick another doe, but it was not to be. I had a button, a four and two small doe under me, while the mature doe were moving into the field 50 yards downwind. They were kind of jittery; I think I'd better wash my hunting clothes before Saturday :rofl: . It's tough no matter how good you smell when they're right in your wind...

I also found out while I was in the stand that a bruiser was hit by a car over by where I own land. It's tough to see a magnificent beast get leveled like that, but when you own near a park, it's just as likely I think that the biggest buck get taken by a car as by a bow. Unfortunately, that's not the first one I've heard hit the dirt this year and it could be that most of the giants are out of the game now. Not that it's likely we'd see them, but it'd be nice to know they're still around when he!! breaks loose on Saturday. I had confirmation on four this year, but three are gone now. Which sucks.

Everyone that is down to the wire like I am I can't express enough on hunting water the next two days if you can!! With the lack of rain we have had and the big boys really on the prowl again they HAVE to have water! Does are harder to come by then the first round was which means Bucks have to put more time on there feet to find a receptive doe. Not to mention they have there winter gear on and it's going to be 70 degrees the next few days. Water has been the ticket for me this season even though I haven't let one fly yet. Good luck guys!

Edited by JakeyBaby

post-139598-14793901161342_thumb.jpg

So here's a pic of the buck that I missed two nights ago at 31 yards. I took the afternoon off yesterday from hunting. I shot two dozen arrows yesterday and it confirmed that the miss was all me. I figured as much. It should never be the equipment. I also Hung a new set midday yesterday with hopes to sit in it for the final two days of the archery season. The clock is ticking...

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good luck Rob. 

The buck I was hoping to get a chance at has me figured out.  I figured the harder I try the harder he will become, so I decided to back out for good on Monday, let him get comfy and hopefully with added pressure on Opening day he will get bumped and who knows.  I find it amazing how guys are seeing a lot of chasing and grunting and I have witnessed no live action whatsoever (locked up - understatement) and I am positive that there are a few nice mature deer in the area.  My brain spins out of control with all kinds of what ifs and should of this or should of that & how do I improve this situation for next year?  I called half time and I will get ready for Saturday. 

Good luck to all,,,

Joe

I wanna add that

I love the pics but I really appreciate the stories and the tactics because I love to learn.  This might be the best thread of the year.  It is so awesome to check from my office chair and see what guys are doing live in the field. 

I digress - good luck everybody

Good luck Rob.

The buck I was hoping to get a chance at has me figured out. I figured the harder I try the harder he will become, so I decided to back out for good on Monday, let him get comfy and hopefully with added pressure on Opening day he will get bumped and who knows. I find it amazing how guys are seeing a lot of chasing and grunting and I have witnessed no live action whatsoever (locked up - understatement) and I am positive that there are a few nice mature deer in the area. My brain spins out of control with all kinds of what ifs and should of this or should of that & how do I improve this situation for next year? I called half time and I will get ready for Saturday.

Good luck to all,,,

Joe

The most important thing in the off season is doing your homework. Scouting. Learning every ounce of the property. Habit enhancement. Food plots. Cameras. Hanging stands.The list is endless... But it all helps.

With all the work done in the off season, now you enjoy hunting. Stay sharp, persistent, and disciplined.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

No luck finding the buck I hit last night... [emoji53] I beat the brush since first light, Nothing. He was a scrub buck, but would have looked nice in my empty freezer. 2nd deer I've ever lost. I did kick up a big'un while looking.

Here's another nice one from this morning. My buddy Chris's thick ten point. Man, and I'm stuck putting in Windows.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1479396417.283107.jpg

man, if someone asks whos' Kings buddies are, I'd say lookup 2016 pope and young, NYS big buck club. They have to be in the top ten? What are the odds? Nice deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hunted my other area in western monroe county for the first time this am. I'm pretty sure I saw the second biggest buck I've seen hunting in 30 years. My dad has a 150" on the wall and it beats that without much thought. 80 yds walking along the edge of the woods at 10am.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

Btw, without a doubt, I see the biggest deer every year in the last week of the archery season. They've bred and are looking for another partner. Not many left and they need to put more miles on. IMO

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

Btw, without a doubt, I see the biggest deer every year in the last week of the archery season. 

No doubt. Every year, it never fails. Its a sign that breeding is at its peak.