Legacy- 2016 Deer Season

Legacy

Well this morning was a tough sit! It was actually quite nice when i got to the stand but that was short lived once the sun came up. I did make it 815 before i decided it was enough abuse. 30 mph with gusts to 45 is no fun. Did see a small buck work his way through the cut corn field this morning. By the looks of it, the weather will probably put me on the sidelines until tues night/ wed morning.

Same as me this morning! May it again this evening, only guarantee is if your not out there you won't kill one.

Dan thoughts and prayers out to you and your family for your loss.... Hunter great job maybe you should ask for your own freezer for Christmas.....Tha "Calvary Buck" we are after hunkered down this morning with this weather, now with snow on the ground gonna check trails this evening and hope

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by RUNNIN REBEL

The "hunker down" is still on.  Spend four hours this morning still-hunting in 6" of quiet snow in some of the most beautiful clearcuts found on state land and never cut a track or  bed.  At home under a blanket watching football......crappy opening weekend!

Agreed .... same here

The "hunker down" is still on.  Spend four hours this morning still-hunting in 6" of quiet snow in some of the most beautiful clearcuts found on state land and never cut a track or  bed.  At home under a blanket watching football......crappy opening weekend!

Edited by tangledline

I wonder how an opener like this affects the deer take. It seems like a lot of guys only hunt opening weekend. The number of shots that I heard was way down yesterday.

Same here. Usually I hear a bunch north of 104 in 8a, but it was very quiet. I do believe participation is way down and will keep getting worse with little youth getting involved unlike many years ago.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

Sorry about your loss buddy. The buck is just a sign from your dad to get back to the woods... He knows that the woods is where you need to be.

X2 losing your father is a tough one, been there and Legacy NAILED IT, you will see and notice things you never did before!! Parents have a way of guidance even afterwards. Only you will know when it happens!! Sorry for your loss. I was told my loss will be someone else's gain. PAP

On a differant note, a Pa. Bow hunter David Price shot a world record bear about 20 miles north of me in Fern Wood area which is Barrett Twsp. 780 lbs Monday. I know the Price family as we have hunted together over by the Sees's when we used to hunt this 750 acre piece of property owned by a very good friend of my brother and uncles. He was a builder and my brother and uncles were in the construction business of house building. Now it gets leased to a gun club and we're out of the picture. That's another story 😱 😢 âš¡ï¸ðŸ’¥

Edited by pap

It seems as though I'm under a black cloud right now or God is really testing me.My father passed away suddenly last week

The big 10 came through Thursday with shooting light left and posses at 12 yds right in front of the stand I would have been in had I not been at my dads wake

dvpzc4.jpg

25qc28n.jpg

Thoughts are with you and your family. Sincerely sorry for your loss.

Same here. Usually I hear a bunch north of 104 in 8a, but it was very quiet. I do believe participation is way down and will keep getting worse with little youth getting involved unlike many years ago.

Agreed. Hunter numbers are dropping and the state is going to have an increasingly tough time managing the deer numbers. They can't even meet the quota now.

For the first time in 20+ years i hunted around home in 8A for opening day. Zero pressure as we were the only two people hunting in the block were in. A lot different from 9H in Wyoming county where i spent the past 10 years or so. Close to a million shots every opener, neighbors doing drives at 730 am, and guys in every block of woods. Really quiet here in 8A sunday morning I only hear 3 different guys shoot. Im sure the weather kept them out of the woods.

Shot a decent 8 point Saturday morning around 10:30.  I watched a half rack buck (4 on one side) chase a hot doe all around me for 15 minutes.  He provided a broad side shot at 20 yards which I would have taken if he had the other half of his rack.  Both him and the doe were panting from the chase.  I kept an eye out on the area they came from and sure enough this 8 point showed up and I was able to get on him at 100 yards.  When I made the shot everything went silent and I could not tell where he went.  After a little bit I got down out of my stand and started to make my way over to where he was when I took the shot.  I got about 60 yards away and could see the body on the ground so I pulled up my scope and took a look at him…only to see a half rack sticking up.  I thought to myself "you've got to be kidding me, i shot the wrong buck!!".  But as I got closer I realized the other half of his rack was just buried in the leaves  :whew: .  He was quartered towards me quite heavily, so I shot him a few inches ahead of his front shoulder, and the bullet came out well behind his back shoulder.  I double lunged him, and dropped him right on the spot, which would explain why I didn’t see him take off after the shot.

post-143216-0-05819300-1479729492_thumb.jpeg

post-143216-0-95902200-1479729475_thumb.jpeg