Legacy- 2016 Deer Season

Legacy

These few days that have passed and that are a head ate worthless for movement! Especially in the mornings and mid day. The whole herd is recovering from the the rut. And not to mention it is gun season and if your ground is being pounded like half of mine! The other 200 acres the deer don't even know it gun season but they still are back to bed early before you even get there just like early season. Evenings are your best best right now. Let a few days pass then you will see deer in their feet and back on cameras.

When i was done with the morning sit, i headed over to another property and tweaked a set (The stand I saw the buck action in yesterday).  I hung that stand about a week ago after some quick speed scouting chasing a ten point i saw leaving through a ditch line. After 3 sits in it i realized that it needed to be moved slightly. It was north facing and too many deer were coming from behind me so i moved it 10 yards and it now faces west. Lots of fresh sign. Tracks, droppings, rubs, and three fresh scrapes. Im trying to be aggressive and thats something that i have never attempt mid season. i typically do all my stand work in the preseason but I have hung 2 new sets in two weeks and already tweaked one of those to stay ahead of the game. I have probably changed more sets and hung more new sets during the season then all other seasons combined. It has always been something i have avoided but my best stands this season have all been hung or tweaked in season. Praying for a huge amount of luck at this point! 

My luck during shotgun season has been all bad...well, not bad, just non-existing. I have yet to see a deer that I would consider shooting from the stand, including doe, which is crazy. This morning a buddy texted me from a stand 150 yards away that five doe were between us headed my way. Do you think that I saw them? Of course not! I may have to sit a couple evenings like Matt says because mornings have rotted. I miss bow season.

Had my daughter out Wednesday pm.  Decided to take a walk during the last half hour.  We catch a good buck 125 yards across a field but 20 yards behind the buck is my truck!!!!!   WTF!!!!!!   tried to walk out to change the angle but off he went.   I was half tempted to let her shoot.

Another great season in the books. This was a great thread and I thank Legacy and all the great posters who made it so informative.

After taking a smaller buck on my last bow hunt of the year in 8F and wanting to get some meat in the freezer, I took a nice big doe and a nice eight point in 9H, the doe on the gun opener and the buck sitting on the ground on Tuesday. The eight became a resident buck on my property once the rut kicked in. I saw him multiple times chasing and after the 1st week of November he became a "regular" on my trail cams. Opening weekend of gun was surprisingly quiet, both with deer sightings and shooting. After the inclement weekend weather passed (rain, sleet, crazy high winds and blizzard like conditions - and sitting all day three days in it), Tuesday was a much better high quality day with clear skies and FINALLY no wind!!!! I wound up hitting the ground after seeing a concentration of tracks in and out of a large hemlock woodlot and last light on Tuesday was stellar when he made his mistake trailing a smaller 6 point. He trailed the six point about 75 yards from my ground blind and the six turned around to face him, almost as if they were going to spar. That's when I shot. He ran 75 yards, much like the doe, without a drop of blood.

Both the doe I shot and the buck had lethal internal damage with complete lung and upper heart vessel destruction, but only a puny .270 entrance hole and no exit hole. I switched to Federal Ballistic tip rounds this year, and the fragmentation internally is excellent, but the entrance hole is nothing more than a pencil eraser with all bleeding occurring internally. I will be returning to Remington Core Lokt bullets next year.

The theme this year was a nice rut with many smaller buck sightings, but a season filled with crazy winds and a gun opener with little activity and crazy weather. However, the snow was very helpful in patterning travelling following the bad weather.

Good luck to all in the filed - be safe,

Chris

post-141087-0-38684400-1480102591_thumb.jpg

BOW BUCK

post-141087-0-82639900-1480102693_thumb.jpg

GUN DOE

post-141087-0-52921600-1480102776_thumb.jpg

post-141087-0-11579600-1480102818_thumb.jpg

post-141087-0-26899200-1480102643_thumb.jpg

GUN BUCK

Congrats Chris!

My luck is still not good big 10 pt killed by neighbor Tuesday said well there's still the piebald I'll try for him. Well got a picture of him 2 nights ago, he's busted up all to hell to the point I won't shoot him if I see him.

This is him now

attachicon.gifIMG_1480106255.205648.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks Dan - BTW I'm just getting back from camp and catching up on this thread. I am SO SORRY about the loss of your Dad. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Stay strong,

Chris

Another great season in the books. This was a great thread and I thank Legacy and all the great posters who made it so informative.

After taking a smaller buck on my last bow hunt of the year in 8F and wanting to get some meat in the freezer, I took a nice big doe and a nice eight point in 9H, the doe on the gun opener and the buck sitting on the ground on Tuesday. The eight became a resident buck on my property once the rut kicked in. I saw him multiple times chasing and after the 1st week of November he became a "regular" on my trail cams. Opening weekend of gun was surprisingly quiet, both with deer sightings and shooting. After the inclement weekend weather passed (rain, sleet, crazy high winds and blizzard like conditions - and sitting all day three days in it), Tuesday was a much better high quality day with clear skies and FINALLY no wind!!!! I wound up hitting the ground after seeing a concentration of tracks in and out of a large hemlock woodlot and last light on Tuesday was stellar when he made his mistake trailing a smaller 6 point. He trailed the six point about 75 yards from my ground blind and the six turned around to face him, almost as if they were going to spar. That's when I shot. He ran 75 yards, much like the doe, without a drop of blood.

Both the doe I shot and the buck had lethal internal damage with complete lung and upper heart vessel destruction, but only a puny .270 entrance hole and no exit hole. I switched to Federal Ballistic tip rounds this year, and the fragmentation internally is excellent, but the entrance hole is nothing more than a pencil eraser with all bleeding occurring internally. I will be returning to Remington Core Lokt bullets next year.

The theme this year was a nice rut with many smaller buck sightings, but a season filled with crazy winds and a gun opener with little activity and crazy weather. However, the snow was very helpful in patterning travelling following the bad weather.

Good luck to all in the filed - be safe,

Chris

attachicon.gif013.JPG

BOW BUCK

attachicon.gif002.JPG

GUN DOE

attachicon.gif168.JPG

attachicon.gif194.JPG

attachicon.gif005.JPG

GUN BUCK

Nice season!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Lake Ontario United mobile app