Legacy- 2016 Deer Season

Legacy

Worse! U at least can always go for chickens or run off shore. This crap you are stuck and there is nothing you can do about it! If I sat in my boat as much as I do a tree and didn't see $h!t in the screen and didn't catching anything it would all be sold! And for some reason I just keep coming back for more and more of this ! Nuts!

Squirells are the lake trout of the woods! Shoot em up Matt!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I just had two mini horses followed by a little girl come through the hardwoods where I was planning to ambush the big dog. The girls parents were in the brush and they were all yelling. The horses had gotten loose a few days ago and they were trying to wrangle them up. So I decided to pack up and head to the truck so I could hunt the other side of the property on the edge of the bean field. While I was chatting with the homeowner in her driveway, wouldn't you know, one of the bucks I've been after, a wide, semi tall 10 pt comes blasting out of the brush not 70 yds from us and crosses the road, running across a cut bean field and into the next patch of woods. FML!!! Yet here I am sitting in my stand waiting for nothing to happen. I can't wait for ice!!!

Should've of offered to help wrangle up them horses and maybe Karma would come your way......Just sayin'.  At least you know that semi tall 10 pt. is still runnin'.

Should've of offered to help wrangle up them horses and maybe Karma would come your way......Just sayin'. At least you know that semi tall 10 pt. is still runnin'.

Horses and I do not get along. I tried to get in front of them but they bolted around me. Figured I'd be better off getting out of their way. Offered to give the little girl my orange vest but she didn't want to talk to a stranger in the woods. I don't blame her.

Dinner attachicon.gifIMG_1480381439.875187.jpgSautéed fresh heart of venison with onions in a butter sherry reduction served over Geechie boy cheese grits

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Looks good!! I love cheesy grits. My go to for fresh heart is thin sliced with lime juice, fresh chopped jalapeño, and garlic marinade then a quick sear on the grill or cast iron. Eat in tacos with fresh cilantro.

Fresh heart is Bomb.com!! My 6 year old loves it too. Looks awesome [emoji106][emoji106]â¤â¤

Yea I hear ya on the Bomb.comm only difference is the smell of the bombs that tend to come out, well, nowhere!! My 12 year olds tend to leave the scene!! LOL I love the heart, slice up the whole heart, 2-3 yellow sweet onions, in butter soon as the onions turn translucent, add 1/2 can of beer simmer down till like a gravy serve, while I drink the other half of the beer. Edited by pap

I think i enjoy the fresh heart and liver almost as much as i enjoy the tenderloins. Its tradition and the first meal of a freshly harvested deer.

I have to agree with eating both the heart and liver. My dad said in the winter if the deer came off the mountain we didn't eat the livers, but the corn and farmland deer we ate both. Dad said if their eating mountain laurels not to eat the organ meats or don't even shoot any off the mountain? Why we asked, mountain laurel is poisonous to humans and deer don't have gallbladders so it doesn't kill them but to a person that's bad news. I don't know if that's the truth but we all went by the elders talk!!

I'm down in Latham Ohio at an outfitter and should be tagged out. Opening morning a beautiful 10 pt sneaks in from the left I've got the gun ready for him to clear a tree for about an 70 yard shot when he catches my wind. He turned to take off and I was able to get him stopped in an opening about 85-90 yards. I shoot and he drops - so I throw another round in and he gets up and scoots through the thick stuff. Waited 3 hours and had good blood with some bubbles in it and some dark blood on the one side. Had a group of guys and we searched all over with no luck. Sucks to lose one - would have been my biggest. I must have screwed up the shot because the gun drives tacks. Going to be a long rest of the week.

I'm down in Latham Ohio at an outfitter and should be tagged out. Opening morning a beautiful 10 pt sneaks in from the left I've got the gun ready for him to clear a tree for about an 70 yard shot when he catches my wind. He turned to take off and I was able to get him stopped in an opening about 85-90 yards. I shoot and he drops - so I throw another round in and he gets up and scoots through the thick stuff. Waited 3 hours and had good blood with some bubbles in it and some dark blood on the one side. Had a group of guys and we searched all over with no luck. Sucks to lose one - would have been my biggest. I must have screwed up the shot because the gun drives tacks. Going to be a long rest of the week.

Hey Mean, thx for the comment on my Buck and really sorry about your 10! Are you at Sunfish Valley? I went on a late season Muzzy hunt there last year and had a great time. I never saw a shooter but it was well run. If so, tell Dylan I said Hi! Tank (Andy Wegman)

Dinner attachicon.gifIMG_1480381439.875187.jpgSautéed fresh heart of venison with onions in a butter sherry reduction served over Geechie boy cheese grits

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Wow! Delicious!! Congrats on the doe and being the first person in LOU history to say " butter sherry reduction" in a post!!

Looks superb!!!

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

"Butter Sherry Reduction"...I knew a girl named Sherry once. It applies.

Can't get out until Friday, but from a friend's report I gather that the does have started to herd up.