Legacy- 2016 Deer Season

Legacy

Well after 8 years I finally got the courage up to go hunting, grabbed my trusty 35 Whelen, it was pouring my brother in law sent me to a place he hunts. I saw a high y on one side and a 12" spike on the other well left him walk when I see another head coming up the hill, this one even worse a knob on one side and a busted of horn on the other, that was it till 4:05 pm I see this one has points to be legal but the fog made it tough, the higher I turned the scope up the worse the view got and now it looks like he's going back into the woods after 8 years I figured if he walks to the crotch of that tree I'm going to shoot as soon as brown came into the scope I touched her off, the Whelen has spoken!! I see him sit on his ass then fall over. YES!! I was really proud of myself. I was hoping I could drag this guy, not because it was a big one, I didn't know if I could physically drag him. Well I gutted him out it was a little basket 6 pointer, not the big 10's my brother in law says are up there. I put a ratchet strap on the back of the truck, wrapped the strap around the horns and cranked him up past the front legs then I could pull him the rest of the way!! YAHOO he's loaded tagged and I'm home bound. I'll add pics later

Edited by pap

I got this guy  on Tuesday 11/22. I was using my grandfathers Pre-64 Model 70 in .270 which he purchased new in 1947. He told me when I was very young that this rifle would be mine when he was "done with it", so to shoot a nice buck with it obviously means a lot.  I know the 2nd pic is blurry but I put it in anyway because its my twin 5 yr olds helping make sausage out of that buck.  4 generations involved in this hunt. Grandfather's rifle ( he passed away in 2000), my dad dragged the deer out with a tractor, and then my kids helping to process.

The first 3 times I saw this buck during bow season my son was with me. To say he was excited when he saw it in the truck would be a rather large understatement!

post-150075-0-97032200-1480510908_thumb.jpg

post-150075-0-58203100-1480510926_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJ 717