Legacy- 2016 Deer Season

Legacy

Wow this has been a ride guys, thanks again. EsoxAC3, this was a squirrelly season for sure, 3 miles up the road they had 6" of snow, today it's 51* crazy, where by this weekend they wants snow flurries down here. Skipper my rifle is the first time since since it was put on the back burner, General Whelen brought this wild cat cartridge to life. Remington reintroduce the 35 Whelen in a pump and a bolt action, in 1987 I bought it, that rifle has done me right from beginning to now. Hornady made a 35cal 200gr. Pill for the 350 Remington mag. I think we found that reloader 13 or15 I can't remember but I do remember it was 57 grains with the rem. mag primers we could skip them through the chronograph 2675fps and shot like on a quarter size pattern, I tried them out and was blown away with the power and the performance of the Hornady bullet, my cousin who bought one like me we quit. In the beginning they had us shooting factory loads that didn't work, they punched a hole in one side and out the other, we knew we had to do better. There was no brass to load our own, so we bought two boxes of 30/06 shells and shot them out our Whelens they form fitted themselves, we were on the right track. Since the gun gained popularity you can find anything for them now, but we have better, and a long time before. I have never lost a deer with this gun to date!!! One other thing is the Whelen is a 30/06 shell blown out to 35 cal. With a little more bust.LOL. Thanks again guys really appreciate the ðŸ‘ ðŸ‘ âœŒï¸ This thread sure has been one hell of a eye opener, the size of the deer you guys kill up there is off the charts!! And the sportsmanship showed here is just short of amazing. I'll follow along till it's all over!! Legacy has done it again!!!

Edited by pap

I got this guy  on Tuesday 11/22. I was using my grandfathers Pre-64 Model 70 in .270 which he purchased new in 1947. He told me when I was very young that this rifle would be mine when he was "done with it", so to shoot a nice buck with it obviously means a lot.  I know the 2nd pic is blurry but I put it in anyway because its my twin 5 yr olds helping make sausage out of that buck.  4 generations involved in this hunt. Grandfather's rifle ( he passed away in 2000), my dad dragged the deer out with a tractor, and then my kids helping to process.

The first 3 times I saw this buck during bow season my son was with me. To say he was excited when he saw it in the truck would be a rather large understatement!

attachicon.gif1122161624.jpg

attachicon.gif1126161001.jpg

Wow that's a beautiful deer taken by a beautiful rifle, the pre 64's are in a breed of there own DJ. My brother had one in a 308, that gun never returned when his house got robbed, your twins are to precious, seeing them working the meat, reminds me of my twins, when they were that age I was floored by the way they dove into it. It didn't matter to them!! Keep that gun oiled up and Congrats to your kill, definitely is a beautiful deer. Way to keep at it!! Definitely a NY buck man you guys got nice deer!! PAP!!!

I got this guy on Tuesday 11/22. I was using my grandfathers Pre-64 Model 70 in .270 which he purchased new in 1947. He told me when I was very young that this rifle would be mine when he was "done with it", so to shoot a nice buck with it obviously means a lot. I know the 2nd pic is blurry but I put it in anyway because its my twin 5 yr olds helping make sausage out of that buck. 4 generations involved in this hunt. Grandfather's rifle ( he passed away in 2000), my dad dragged the deer out with a tractor, and then my kids helping to process.

The first 3 times I saw this buck during bow season my son was with me. To say he was excited when he saw it in the truck would be a rather large understatement!

attachicon.gif1122161624.jpg

attachicon.gif1126161001.jpg

nice buck!nice to see the family all involved!

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United