Legacy- 2016 Deer Season

Legacy

I'd duck hunt if any of the guys I hunt with ever duck hunted any more...

I used to chase ducks 3-4 days a week back in graduate school and as a postdoc. There's no way I can manage that now, but man I miss getting out. Over the years I've let most of my spots slip. When they disappeared, as most private spots do given long enough unless you own them, I didn't do the legwork to replace them. 

And so I'm off to the deer woods. Who knows? We haven't set foot on the property in a week. Anything could happen.

As I have been reading this post since the start  and  I can't help but laugh about the irony of my own situation. I no longer hunt but stay interested in it and most of my buddies still hunt. I live in a development about 4 miles from town on a Cul De Sac with a couple woods nearby and a hill at the edge of my back lawn. Nearly daily either when I get up or when I go to bed there is a herd of about 7-12 deer that come out of the woods (mostly but not all does) and graze less than 50 ft from my house. Usually I end up using a low power (Red Ryder) BB gun to shoot them in the ass to get rid of them. This has been going on for years and they still come back. This morning I got up and made coffee and looked out the front window and here are two deer munching on the holly bushes within 2 ft of the window and staring blankly in the window at me. I knocked on the window and they merely moved a few feet away and continued munching. . Contrast this with the experience you guys are having spotting deer....for me they are a pain in the ass and "crowding my lifestyle"  and yet while being actively hunted by you guys they make themselves scarce...there appears to be no justice :lol:  Do you suppose they read this years DEC syllabus or the permitted areas for hunting? :envy:

Yup, that's about what I look like every time I hit the woods! No deer hunting this morning due to the lack of sightings in the mornings. Pretty much hunt like early season now, and afternoons only. Did ponder the thought of duck hunting but decided to sleep in for once!

Les what your seeing out your window is what happened to the hunting around here. There are so many developments anymore and all theses nit-wits feed them, they only venture into the woods during the rut and when the beech nuts and acorns are of abundance. The guys that shoot these bigger bucks are litterly watching these folks eat dinner, the deer that get shot around these developments litterly have hooves that curl up. With the archery season these deer get shot. The first crack of a rifle barrel and they all run into the developments and they don't come out. The game com. Was supposed to fine those who feed them, but that never happened. They had talked about putting plain close people in the developments to push them out, but the treehuggers threatened to do everthing or anything to stop this, well I'm not getting shot over a deer. There is a local farmer from around here that makes more $$$ selling corn to the city slickers then he makes selling it on the market price. $25.00 for 50# bag, can't hate the farmer for making money, but the dumb ass state should make it illegal to feed the deer and enforce the law!! With the inner breeding of these deer its crippling the gene pool. Now the game commission is afraid of diseases that would run rampant and litterly cripple our deer population plus the states that surround the state. Don't get me wrong they shoot a lot of huge deer in Pa. but not the body size of your NY. Deer, most of the bigger deer are north, south and west of where I live, the bigger deer definitely come from farmlands with big woods surroundings. On another note I went out to our local bait shop they also have a butcher shop, and process deer, I asked how's the deer buisness is, they said POOR, with all the rain and it's been blowing like hell here since the start of the season, Monday. This Monday starts doe season so see what happens. I hate to be like this but I hope they don't kill off to bad.

Been off LOU for a week, congrats to all that scored deer! Pap, Mike great buck!

I went to my friends place to help him butcher deer we did 21 deer all custom cuts high quality no silver skin picky stuff. The second estrus should be kicking in, wife n I saw a dandy trolling last night. If you find a hot doe now you are in the bucks!