Legacy- 2016 Deer Season

Legacy

He came out between my stand and my truck. Was crossing an open cut corn field toward a thicket on the edge of an apple orchard. I settled on him as he was slowly walking across the field and dropped him in his tracks from 150 yds. Thank god because that thicket is a LONG way across the field.

Thats a pretty decent poke too. Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Nice buck. I am finally back in the woods after a too long a trip to LA. Haven't seen a thing since I have been back. Now there is a storm watch out for Wyoming county of up to 2' Thursday and Friday. That should make it interesting.

A friend sent me a picture that I shared with two other LOU members that I have never seen before. It is too graphic to post here but it was of a doe a friend shot in the Utica area. When he gutted it, it had two completely developed fawns in her. I have never heard or seen this before. Anyone else ever see this? Kind of gross.

Attention Buck hunters, make sure you look closely if you take a doe! Bucks have already began to shed their antlers. We have two on camera and of heard of many more.

The doe with fawns is absolutely crazy!! Never heard of that before. Unfortunately if she did t get shot and they were born there was no chance for survival through the winter anyway.

Nice buck. I am finally back in the woods after a too long a trip to LA. Haven't seen a thing since I have been back. Now there is a storm watch out for Wyoming county of up to 2' Thursday and Friday. That should make it interesting.

A friend sent me a picture that I shared with two other LOU members that I have never seen before. It is too graphic to post here but it was of a doe a friend shot in the Utica area. When he gutted it, it had two completely developed fawns in her. I have never heard or seen this before. Anyone else ever see this? Kind of gross.

Buddy shot a doe 8 years ago in penn yan and when he gutted it , it had a fawn next to the stomach. A hard ball of fat and a fawn in it. No doc around to help when birth goes for a wrong turn.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Buddy shot a doe 8 years ago in penn yan and when he gutted it , it had a fawn next to the stomach. A hard ball of fat and a fawn in it. No doc around to help when birth goes for a wrong turn.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I can relate to this as sometimes in the flintlock season which is last thing to hunt with? This stupid state of Pa. Should have the flintlock season with the archery season for a week or so, the doe's that get shot late in the season have little ones in them!! It nearly puts you on your knees if you have a heart!!

post-139598-14810303291322_thumb.jpg

Great morning to be in the stand. Cold and frosty yet not movement. Gun season certainly had a way of sucking all the enjoyment of the deer season right out of you. I really thought the break from the woods last week would reenergize me but it hasn't. Two dealings with trespassers over the past four days isn't really helping. Two weeks to make something happen and unfortunately pm hunts may be tough to pull off with my kids basketball schedule. Pm hunts are certainly where it's at right now. Find prime food sources!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

attachicon.gif20161027_150139

I think this might be the guy I saw last night. We have elected to give him another year though. The way this gun season it's tough to let him walk!

You should be commended for your discipline in following QDM.

Be safe and good luck - I hope you are rewarded for your dedication to our sport!!

Chris

You should be commended for your discipline in following QDM.

Be safe and good luck - I hope you are rewarded for your dedication to our sport!!

Chris

XX2 you guys are a great example of the best hunting ethics I've ever experienced!! It's a no wonder you guys have excellent hunting!! Jake maybe you should open a school, on how to be a better hunter!! I know a lot of guys down here that should attend!! LoL PAP

Lol, no where near that stage! It's not necessarily about being a "better hunter " just personal preference on what we are trying to accomplish. We have the ground to TRY and kill nothing under 3.5 years old and put alot of time, money and energy into it. And believe me if I was a "better hunter " my tags would be filled by this point! I eat, sleep, and you know what this sport and truely love it !

I can relate to this as sometimes in the flintlock season which is last thing to hunt with? This stupid state of Pa. Should have the flintlock season with the archery season for a week or so, the doe's that get shot late in the season have little ones in them!! It nearly puts you on your knees if you have a heart!!

Couldnt agree more pap... Saw this and thought it poignant.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted...If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job.

Edited by EsoxAC3

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted...If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job.

Perfect!!

Well said.  Any idea who the author was?

Another heart break for me bad luck continues.

Set up in a stand over looking cut bean field

10 doe filter out Im set back in 20 yds of field edge and the deer need to feed their way out so I have a clear unobstructed shot. All the doe final do. At last light i hear noise in the thick stuff Im in I see a body,pull up the binos and a head comes through its a big shooter wide and high.He disappears in a second but I know he's heading to the field.Yup he enters the field a couple seconds later and is heading right for the doe.I stand and rest on a tree infront of the stand I'm on his shoulder at 100 yds but he hasn't cleared the tree line branches.I hold and wait and he turns and bounds away.Don't know what spooked him he couldn't have made me wind was no where near him I'm baffled and snake bit

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Sounds like as he was heading out in the open to check the does memory kicked in an he remembered it was gun season and came to his senses. Smart creatures. There is a group of does I know of that shack up in an acre of red brush surrounding a house bordering a property I hunt. I have watched the young ones start to come out into the neighboring ag field before dark only to have the older does run out and shoe them back into the brush til after shooting light. I have seen buck stand in cover and stare at my buddies treestands to check if someone is in there. A person in that stand never would have known but if he reached up and scratched his nose the buck would have made him and slinked off without being seen. Deer remember.