Legacy- 2016 Deer Season

Legacy

Great job on your kills everyone! Some awesome bucks taken this year. I have had a great, but un successful season. 3 clean misses and clipped a doe which I unfortunately never found as she dropped a ile of blood wher I hit her, a small drop ten yrds from that and nothing. On dry ground after hours of looking, i gave up. Gonna go hard all weekend, then focus any free time on walleye. Haven't missed a deer in years, so I'm kinda disappointed, but what can you do. Good luck to anyone still after it! Great thread and buck Legacy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Check this guy out, big body with triangular head.. he looks like he should have a lot more bone on his head.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2016-12-10-21-03-33_1481423118728.png

Clover is still drawing deer they are digging for it. I had 3 small bucks and a pile of doe feeding by 3:30pm.

I have seen two limppers hobbling around most likely from my careless neighbors that shoot at tails. I will never understand that strategy.

Hope I can capitalize on this cold snap coming up.

That is what I call a bully cull buck.  Shoot 'em!

Rob this has been a great forum to read all yr. Congrats to all tje guys who hit the big one. Now i have a question. I used my buck tag during bow. I just read that if you dont use your buck tag during regular season you can use it for any fun loving during muzzle loader. Never knew this was informed by a fellow hunter. Any input. Thanks John

Rob this has been a great forum to read all yr. Congrats to all tje guys who hit the big one. Now i have a question. I used my buck tag during bow. I just read that if you dont use your buck tag during regular season you can use it for any fun loving during muzzle loader. Never knew this was informed by a fellow hunter. Any input. Thanks John

Yes - u can use regular season buck tag to shoot a buck in muzzle

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

All tags are valid! http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html

The 2016 season has produced more mature bucks than I have ever seen in this state, dead and alive in my 40 plus years of hunting. It's awesome and I hope it's the future. Great reading, and good job to all the hunters.

Im assuming we are seeing a change in the times. Guys are passing small bucks in hopes of shooting bigger ones and shooting does to fill the freezer instead. A lot of talk of QDMA now a days on property of all sizes. NYS will never be a big buck state like the midwest but the NYSDEC is even starting to encourage us let them grow. 

Im assuming we are seeing a change in the times. Guys are passing small bucks in hopes of shooting bigger ones and shooting does to fill the freezer instead. A lot of talk of QDMA now a days on property of all sizes. NYS will never be a big buck state like the midwest but the NYSDEC is even starting to encourage us let them grow.

I have been passing 1.5 and 2.5 yr old bucks for many many years. In hopes they live and grow in to a mature buck. Gamble I take !!

Way to many guys drop the hammer on the first buck they see still, 70% to 80% of our buck harvest is 1.5 yr olds.

Nys has great genetics and could be a better big buck state then it is, if more guys passed small bucks. I have preached to my neighbors to shoot the doe for meat and to leave the little bucks in the woods on there feet to grow.

Meanwhile opening day they shoot 2 twin 5 pointers for meat and then throw the tiny little racks in the corner of the garage !!!! Why??

How many small bucks can a man in his 50's shoot before he wants to put his tag on something he could be proud of????

and not throw the tiny rack in the corner of the garage for mice to eat. Same neighbors like to tell me : "there is so much land for them to hide around here." That's the NY mentality of a meat hunter and that's why we will never have what the mid west has if they continue to not pass.

Look at the bucks on Ny antler outdoors pages and pages of beautiful bucks. There could be more if we passed more it's that simple.

I wish the whole state was antler restrictions and shoot a doe to earn a buck tag and only one buck tag. I bet that would change the herd!!

Just my opinion !! I am no biologist by no means just a farmer dude who grows animals!!

Lol

Edited by BigWilly

the mid west has big bucks because their seasons allow for them to grow.  our gun season is way too long here in ny and if you pair that with the hunting pressure here its a recipe for mature buck disaster.  There should be a very long bow season and extremely short gun season and only allow 1 buck not matter if you shoot it during gun season or bow season.   That would allow more bucks to survive every year meaning more mature bucks for us to hunt.  Do i think we will ever grow 200 plus inch deer regularly in ny no but 150s to 180s should be possible

The gun seasons are for sure lengthy compared to other states. I agree.

It's not the length of the season that allows small bucks to NOT grow tho. It's the HUNTERS.

It's in the hunters hands and what they choose to shoot and put there tag on not the seasons length.

Let em grow they will be bigger next year.

That's true

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

How can a guy with 5 acres of land and 2 kids pass a 5 pt if he only had 2 days to hunt????

Mid west dudes owns 200 acers take that 200 here in new York and u got 8 different land owners and friends hunting it.

What do u think is going to happen with all the deer???

It's not rocket science.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The gun seasons are for sure lengthy compared to other states. I agree.

It's not the length of the season that allows small bucks to NOT grow tho. It's the HUNTERS.

It's in the hunters hands and what they choose to shoot and put there tag on not the seasons length.

Let em grow they will be bigger next year.

I agree it's the hunters choice but those long gun seasons make it easier to shoot a small buck. Especially with our gun season hitting pretty close to peak rut. If we could only shoot one buck each year I think everyone would think twice before ending their season early on a small buck.

I agree it's the hunters choice but those long gun seasons make it easier to shoot a small buck. Especially with our gun season hitting pretty close to peak rut. If we could only shoot one buck each year I think everyone would think twice before ending their season early on a small buck.

Exactly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

A longer season gives a hunter time to pass small bucks and be more selective. iMO

Again it's up to the HUNTERS.

Just my 2 cents.

I really prolly shouldn't say this BUT here we go. My Biggest bucks have came in during the rut on the same trail as small bucks did that same day I passed the smaller bucks!!!

I believe big older wiser Bucks use young bucks to follow and actually use them as hunter bait to stay safe. Something to think about next time you want to shoot the small buck.

Edited by BigWilly

I wouldn't be apposed to one buck myself, but if you guys look it up, the mid west States are no different in exception of Ohio. Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, and so on are all allowed at least 2 bucks and if you are a land owner you can get up to 3! So I don't believe it necessarily the numbers of bucks taken. It's the length of the shotgun/ rifle seasons and the timing of them. Not to mention the number of people of reside from state to state that hunt. I know where I am it's every other tree vs. Other places out west where it can be miles.

A longer season gives a hunter time to pass small bucks and be more selective. iMO

Again it's up to the HUNTERS.

Just my 2 cents.

I really prolly shouldn't say this BUT here we go. My Biggest bucks have came in during the rut on the same trail as small bucks did that same day I passed the smaller bucks!!!

I believe big older wiser Bucks use young bucks to follow and actually use them as hunter bait to stay safe. Something to think about next time you want to shoot the small buck.

a longer season also allows for more deer drives in which lots of small bucks are shot.  2 weekends of deer drives are better than 4 weekends of them  less deer drives equal less small bucks being shot    I do know some guys that do drives for only mature bucks but most of the drives i go on i am not aloowed to sit cause i pass the smaller bucks and everyone yells at me.  they say we are not doing all this work to kick them so shoot them.  now a days i dont really do the drives cause of that.   The 1 buck a year is the absolute best way to do it.   imo