Legacy- 2016 Deer Season

Legacy

Absolutely that is a brute of a buck, the only thing I would deduct is about a 1/4 of crown royal out of my bottle if I were ever lucky enough to such a beauty. There's still time to catch up with that beast!! Best of luck!!

I was actually going to pull the bow out and sit at the back of my property tonight when I got a call from a friend who'd dropped a doe and knew I was looking for one...my graduate students have all requested "as much as I can carry" when asked how much venison they want this year...so I hooked up the ATV and headed off to Albion. I though I'd pull her out quick and then have an hour or so to hunt afterward. Well....

The ATV bogged down in the snow, even with chains. After getting it back on the trailer, I grabbed the jet sled and walked over a half-mile through 18" of snow and drifts to where he'd shot it. By the time I made it back to the truck, all thoughts of sitting were gone. I was soaked in sweat, the snow had come over my boots, and I probably stank. My ankle felt like someone had taken a chainsaw to it (broke it three years ago and never right since). 

Those graduate students had better win me a Nobel this year!  :rofl:

Watching the corn tonight at 4:25 when I saw a little doe make her way out into the corn but about 300 yrds down the field edge. I was watching her for a min or 2 when she took off out into the field about 100 yrds. As she stopped and looked back I saw the buck I've been Hunting since the last day of shotgun season. He ran right up to her and was pushing her all over. Pretty soon she turns and comes my way but still over 250 yrds out. He would run up to her and she would take off running. Soon they were at 165 yrds and closing and at 144 yrds completely broad side I stopped him and took the shot. I saw the snow just under and behind him.blow up and he ran off. I watched him run for over 100 yrds and looked perfectly healthy. I went to the spot where he was standing when I shot no blood or hair so I trailed him all the way to the woodline and never found a spot of blood. It was a clean miss. Hopefully with 2 days left I can find him again but extremely doubtful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I finally touched one off this evening! Not a buck but a big mature doe. Had 4 deer around me most of the time I was on stand. Waited to see if a buck would show but never did. Took the shot at about 70 yards and she didn't make it 40 yards. Took the top of her heart off and made a pretty bad mess of one lung. With the season at its end had to get another one for the freezer.

Edited by JakeyBaby

Now that the last weekend is over and I have Monday and Tuesday to be in the woods I plan to crack my new muzzleloader and harvest a doe for my freezer.

We had the venison Gorgonzola again tonight hard to beat and simple.

3rd stick of butter and 2 spoons of Gorgonzola cheese in a bowl melted 20 sec in microwave and then stir ! Then run it for 20 more seconds and stir again.

Make your venison how you like it with onions garlic butter or western rub how ever. Then use the gorgorgozolla butter for dipping or pour over your steak.

Not very healthy but what is. Lol

Congrats on the doe jakey.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by BigWilly

I use Apple hickory and mesquite. All depends what I'm smoking

Sent from my VS990 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

One thing I do a lot of is make smoked jerky, pepper sticks, ring bologna, some with pepper jack cheese. If I smoke jerky or slim jims or pepper sticks I use sassafras, and the bologna, I use hickory, chickens well that's another story, this is venison talk. I cut my own sassafras and hickory. I have dry of both woods the others I leave outside on a skid uncovered my stove is outside my smokehouse which I put a 6" stove pipe and at the top of my smoker which is 6'6"'s and I have a 3" chimney coming out with a 3" damper then a elbow and pipe above the roof for draft, been a good working build for 20+ years, so I build my fire with the dry and then add the so called green when ready to add smoke, the first hour I run heat, propane at 140* then I add the smoke, depending on what's in the smoker 45 minutes to 1-1/2hrs. Right now I'm behind big time with the rain and well more rain. 100% humidity is hard to get my stuff done in a timely manner. The longer the meats is in the heat and the smoke didn't push the moisture out of the meat or it absorbs the moisture again now you have dried meat and it has a bitter tangy flavored meat, as you would have with a fruit bearing tree, they make a tangy flavor. Which isn't what flys around here. Bologna I use hickory only because that's the norm around here. Chicken in a brine stuffed with Granny Smith apples, I use Apple to keep the tang in the meat, the brown sugar and apple juice tame the tang really very well. Like airbrushing lures, it takes a lot of practice and my beagle loves my F'ups. I enjoy the smiles and the faces and the ummm man this is good!! Good including the "here's a little something for ya, or doing this" !!!