Legacy- 2016 Deer Season

Legacy

Well I'm ready for season to be over. Passing up little bucks and does hoping to have a chance at our one buck we nicknamed thumbs from his brow tines. Well today at 1230 heard a guy shoot on the ridge right next to me and went to look and saw thumbs laying in the valley : (. Guy was like should I get it mounted, I wanted to slap him. But glad he made a clean kill. Here's a pic of him in velvet PS. Quite a few deer up and moving in the middle of day in the sunshine for anyone thinking of going out tomorrow. post-144765-14821770877485_thumb.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by machzrcr

As rightly happy as everyone is with the buckhorn imagine a muzzleloader using smokeless powder...clean it once a year in minutes, better ballistics, more consistancy, and you dont have to wait for the smoke to clear to see what happened...savage smokeless muzzleloader 😎

Justin Okrepki

NYSDEC licensed guide #7324

http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/

(607)-349-1750

Bought one new years ago and love it. Tonight sitting next to an old Allis Chalmers watching two hay fields. We shall see...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Blackhorn 209 thank me later

That's what I am shooting.  105 grains with Hornaday STX 45 caliber 250 grain bullets in an MMP sabot.  I would put a photo of the exit hole from todays doe but it is a little graphic. 

Keep em crossed one more day. Didn't see anything during my sit. Walking back to truck one was standing 100yds. Of course just waved goodbye as I stood there holding my rifle in one hand and stool in the other. Should have sat in truck! Would have been a ell of a lot warmer and productive.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well after the disappointment earlier today sat behind my house and had 6 doe and a 6 point come out. Well I had to let the muzzy eat and shot a monster doe! Will put her on the scale Tomorrow but biggest one I remember killing myself!

post-144765-14821895239034_thumb.jpg

Was skunked on my last sit, good thing I was lucky enough to get the doe for the freezer last night. 3 weeks of a break then hopefully heading back Ohio again but with the muzzleloader this time! Can't come soon enough!

Saw 3 does at 175 yrds tonight. Took a shot but complete miss man I need to shoot long distances

Great job on the donkey!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

thanks! What powder and bullet are u using? What gun?

Edited by machzrcr

Cva optima pro. 2 pellets of 777 and 245 grain aero tip powerbelts. I know everyone hates powerbelts but they have always worked for me. I've never had a muzzleloader shot over 100 yrds up until this year cause I'm usually in the woods not fields. I need to practise shooting the 150 to 200 yrds shots

They are dropping horns fast.

My butcher friend had 5 deer come in today and 2 were bucks with plug holes were they lost there horns.

One was a nice 8 pointer the guy shot and when the buck went down he lost one half and when he walked up and grabbed the other half it fell off. The other buck was shot as a doe and then he noticed it was a buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Cva optima pro. 2 pellets of 777 and 245 grain aero tip powerbelts. I know everyone hates powerbelts but they have always worked for me. I've never had a muzzleloader shot over 100 yrds up until this year cause I'm usually in the woods not fields. I need to practise shooting the 150 to 200 yrds shots

Honestly 100 grains. U should shoot thru a chrono to get your exzact speed helps eliminate any guess as to drop. But 100 grains you are probably in the 1500fps ball park range. So at 150 you are dropping over 7 inches and just over to 20 at 200 yds. If u bumped up to 120-150grains and got speeds closer to 1800-2000 at 1800fps and 150 yds drop is 4.5 and 200 it's 14inches. 2000fps 150yds 3 inch drop and 200yds 11 inches. I am getting 1800fps with 150grains 777. Shot the ole man's gun Saturday with 120 grains blackhorn I got between 2050 and 2100 fps. That speed difference is huge with these heavy bullets and figuring out drop.

Honestly 100 grains. U should shoot thru a chrono to get your exzact speed helps eliminate any guess as to drop. But 100 grains you are probably in the 1500fps ball park range. So at 150 you are dropping over 7 inches and just over to 20 at 200 yds. If u bumped up to 120-150grains and got speeds closer to 1800-2000 at 1800fps and 150 yds drop is 4.5 and 200 it's 14inches. 2000fps 150yds 3 inch drop and 200yds 11 inches. I am getting 1800fps with 150grains 777. Shot the ole man's gun Saturday with 120 grains blackhorn I got between 2050 and 2100 fps. That speed difference is huge with these heavy bullets and figuring out drop.

Here's a little info. We are never happy with stock anything, if you bump your muzzy up they won't come apart with up to and less than 150 grains of powder. At 145grains of Blackhorn and a 235 pill it will be smoking over 2097 FPS over the crono. 2" high at 100 yards, at 200 lay the horizontal hairs on the backbone and the vertical line in the vital area, I'll guarantee you a kill shot. This is the recipe that took my big I mean 21 3/4" 5 pointer that my brother in law said was going backwards in horn development because of his age. One of the heaviest deer I ever shot. The neck itself weighed 32 pounds, at 237 paces!! Rodney is 6'3" and mostly feet and legs. Knocked the old bastard flat in his tracks. 2"s high at 100 yards= 4-5inch drop at 200. The 2"s high at 100 won't effect your natural shooting habits at less than a 100 yards one bit. This seems to work on any gun we tried CVA, Thompson, the pursuit. I would not try this with a gun NOT designed to handle 150 grains of powder, whether it's new or old. Be straight & shoot straight!!! P Edited by pap

I talked for a while with a guy a few years ago that shot black powder for competition. He swore to me that there was no way that you are burning all the powder with .150 grains! He said all it does is blows out the end of the gun, creates ALOT more smoke, and makes the gun ALOT dirtier after every shot. Also that when you do not get all the powder to burn consistently, obviously alot harder to group consistently. Not saying this true for everyone but all that info has proven true for me! When I make the switch to Blackhorn I may try up to .115 grains but nothing over that.

I talked for a while with a guy a few years ago that shot black powder for competition. He swore to me that there was no way that you are burning all the powder with .150 grains! He said all it does is blows out the end of the gun, creates ALOT more smoke, and makes the gun ALOT dirtier after every shot. Also that when you do not get all the powder to burn consistently, obviously alot harder to group consistently. Not saying this true for everyone but all that info has proven true for me! When I make the switch to Blackhorn I may try up to .115 grains but nothing over that.

ive always heard the same thing thats why i only shoot 100 grains

I 100% agree with that guy if we were talking flintlocks, I have proven that thought time and time again by shooting it over the snow, the powder will lay black over the snow, there's no need to put more than 70 grains of powder in the barrel, the rest won't burn, and your patch will lay on the snow on fire. PA had closed our flintlock season during a real dry season because of this. But a 209 primer behind a load of black powder will ignite every grain up too 150 grains of powder. If your shooting your gun over a chronograph and noticing pellet speed increases then the powder is burning and not just taking up space. Shoot a cap off at night, you'll see the fire fly out the barrel. Flintlocks I agree 100% not so with a modern day muzzle loader. Also, you clean your muzzy already for the next day your chance comes and you miss?? WTF right? If you don't snap at least caps off before loading that first shot it will be low every time? Because there's no residue in the barrel to totally seal off the gases relying on just the plastic sabot. Best speed and repetitive accuracy is with the 4-6 shot over the chrono!! We have messed around hrs. With this stuff and theories, that have been proven before our very eyes.

My muzzy hang fires every other shot. Pissed me off so bad. brand new gun I cleaned it ex...had it 4 years now. The only thing I can think is the barrel is bored out to wide where the bullet sits. The primer goes off then split second after bang.

The second shot when the barrel is now dirty , it shoot mint. I tried different bullets , powder, primers . It's a Traditions vortex ultra light.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app