Legacy- 2016 Deer Season

Legacy

Good luck with your trip. I personally practice to 60 and shoot it really well on a calm day with all conditions right I would shoot out that far on a deer but the stars don't align like that often so realistic range is 40 unless real windy. With the new speeds these bows are shooting range has been extended

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Stoneam2006 I'm shooting piledrivers as well. Tipped with 4 blade Slick Tricks. They shoot just like a field points. I only practice out to 50 yards. Never shot further than 33 yards in the woods. But it sure doesn't hurt to shoot out that far. Makes the close shot a dink.

Stoneam2006 I'm shooting piledrivers as well. Tipped with 4 blade Slick Tricks. They shoot just like a field points. I only practice out to 50 yards. Never shot further than 33 yards in the woods. But it sure doesn't hurt to shoot out that far. Makes the close shot a dink.

Yea that's why I started shooting further but ended up becoming confident in ability to shoot that far. Under perfect conditions.like last year a 6 pt bedded down 48 yards in front of me but my old bow didn't shoot well that far

Yea that's why I started shooting further but ended up becoming confident in ability to shoot that far. Under perfect conditions.like last year a 6 pt bedded down 48 yards in front of me but my old bow didn't shoot well that far

Some new products added to mix this year...

TRU Ball Archery Stinger Release

QAD Ultra Rest

Smokeys Buck Preorbital Gland Lure

Kishels Scents- Buck in rut plus deer urine scent granules

Illusion Game Calls- Extinguisher deer call and black Rack 

I have the QAD HDx and love it. I had the ultra rest hunter grenade on me 2 years ago literally the day before I left for the northern zone early season. The only place that sold the QAD rests in my area had only the HDx  in stock ($150). Long story short put it on, paper tuned it in the garage, shot 20 yards out back with the outdoor floodlights, everything was good up at 5am to hit the woods. QAD overnighted a replacement rest to where I was staying free of charge. Stand up company and a great rest.

Yep. Wish we had more hunters who know the limitations of their equipment or their abilities with their equipment. We'd have less wounded animals in the woods. Plus, it's just to darn expensive when you release that arrow. For me the cost would be $11 for the arrow, $12 for the broadhead, lighted nock $8-$9. You release that arrow you better be sure. Cause you might not get that arrow back.

I shoot a bit all thru the year. But I start shooting my bow hard in mid-July. And I still won't take a 35-40 yard shot in the woods. Just too many variables you can't account for in the woods. Now in an open field I'll reach out to 50 yards.

Yep. Wish we had more hunters who know the limitations of their equipment or their abilities with their equipment. We'd have less wounded animals in the woods. Plus, it's just to darn expensive when you release that arrow. For me the cost would be $11 for the arrow, $12 for the broadhead, lighted nock $8-$9. You release that arrow you better be sure. Cause you might not get that arrow back.

I shoot a bit all thru the year. But I start shooting my bow hard in mid-July. And I still won't take a 35-40 yard shot in the woods. Just too many variables you can't account for in the woods. Now in an open field I'll reach out to 50 yards.

Yea I'm over on hunt ny forum and started a thread over there to show that not ever ones range is the same...just bc your buddy can shoot 50 doesn't mean you can. Gotta practice and know your limits same holds true for guns

Yea I'm over on hunt ny forum and started a thread over there to show that not ever ones range is the same...just bc your buddy can shoot 50 doesn't mean you can. Gotta practice and know your limits same holds true for guns

Couldn't agree more. Good luck this season!

Take care & b safe!

You as well ho0e to see some pics in few weeks

I have a few real nice ones on trail cam. Can't figure out how load them onto this sight. But I'm working on it.

There are a number of factors that go into calculating your effective distance. For some they pick up the bow the day before the season and they gonout with the cheapest arrows and throw them all over the woods with a hope and prayer. Other like myself the bow is an extension of us. We shoot all year burn through strings, shoot 3d, indoor, backyard, garage and basement. I have had shots from three to forty seven yards and have all ended with a kill. I know my equipment and trust my judgement, hunting with a bow is what I love. Put a gun in my hand and I am one of those people who I mentioned previously. Everyone must know there limit and stick to it. While I had made shots out to 47 yards the conditions must be perfect.

There are a number of factors that go into calculating your effective distance. For some they pick up the bow the day before the season and they gonout with the cheapest arrows and throw them all over the woods with a hope and prayer. Other like myself the bow is an extension of us. We shoot all year burn through strings, shoot 3d, indoor, backyard, garage and basement. I have had shots from three to forty seven yards and have all ended with a kill. I know my equipment and trust my judgement, hunting with a bow is what I love. Put a gun in my hand and I am one of those people who I mentioned previously. Everyone must know there limit and stick to it. While I had made shots out to 47 yards the conditions must be perfect.

Well put. You ask those people who don't shoot why they don't shoot & they'll give you every reason in the book. "No time, nowhere to shoot... But they always manage to find time to get into the woods. Wish they put that much effort into practicing with their weapon of choice.

If you gave me a choice I would rather fill my tags with a bow than a gun. But I do still like the comradery of gun season. Hunting camp, deer drives, seeing a young hunter bag their 1st deer.

I think another issues with range is guys who don't use rangefinders or get that fever when a deer walks in and it's either further or closer resulting in a miss. And also the guys who say 35 but don't have the ethics when a booner walks in at 50 and they try and hail marry one in

I think another issues with range is guys who don't use rangefinders or get that fever when a deer walks in and it's either further or closer resulting in a miss. And also the guys who say 35 but don't have the ethics when a booner walks in at 50 and they try and hail marry one in

Agree 100%. I have a buddy that wounds a deer almost once a year, and I know several seasons when it's multiple deer that he's wounded!!! It' almost a joke to him, which is very, very sad given that he gets buck fever the minute he sees bone on a head. Needless to say, he doesn't hunt my properties anymore.

I had a nice ten which I ranged at 45 yards last year. I did all I could to hold off and wait. I must admit I wanted to throw an arrow, given the phrase "you can't kill 'em if you don't shoot..." but I waited and watched him walk off into the sunset since that's way beyond my level of comfort.

Two weeks later, he was back at 15 yards and now he resides in my belly and on my wall.

Good luck in the field,

Chris

post-141087-0-08334900-1474673175_thumb.jpg

post-141087-0-42545800-1474673281_thumb.jpg

Agree 100%. I have a buddy that wounds a deer almost once a year, and I know several seasons when it's multiple deer that he's wounded!!! It' almost a joke to him, which is very, very sad given that he gets buck fever the minute he sees bone on a head. Needless to say, he doesn't hunt my properties anymore.

I had a nice ten which I ranged at 45 yards last year. I did all I could to hold off and wait. I must admit I wanted to throw an arrow, given the phrase "you can't kill 'em if you don't shoot..." but I waited and watched him walk off into the sunset since that's way beyond my level of comfort.

Two weeks later, he was back at 15 yards and now he resides in my belly and on my wall.

Good luck in the field,

Chris

attachicon.gif018.JPG

attachicon.gif068.JPG

Absolutly I had a 6 pt bedded down and sleeping at 40 yards last year (with old bow) and wanted to shoot bad as I have never taken a buck with a bow I waited almost 2 hrs for him to get up and watched him walk away. Ended up sticking him right in the kill Zone with my xbow Nov 6th all rutted up and lost him. Made me sick. He ended up pulling bolt out and went into swamp spent 3 days looking for him and all of gun season looking to never found body or anything and it was a good shot. Broadside 25 yards bolt went in 10 plus inches think I caught rib on backside blood everywhere. Will not be using xbow anymore and bought new bow. It happens even when you do your part don't need to be extra risky for any reason

Well, I'm gonna make you guys sick. I take the bow out the week before and look at it. Then my first hunt is an evening and I throw 3 arrows in a target the size of a fist. I couldn't tell ya the last time I wounded one and consider myself successful just about every year. I don't shoot over 30yds and wouldn't want to.

To each his own and I'm one confident sob with my bow.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

Well, I'm gonna make you guys sick. I take the bow out the week before and look at it. Then my first hunt is an evening and I throw 3 arrows in a target the size of a fist. I couldn't tell ya the last time I wounded one and consider myself successful just about every year. I don't shoot over 30yds and wouldn't want to.

To each his own and I'm one confident sob with my bow.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

The key in your quote is you know your shot and know your distance limits given your experience. Nothing wrong with that.

The key in your quote is you know your shot and know your distance limits given your experience. Nothing wrong with that.

Exactly not everyone has time to litterally shoot the strings off. Those who do can gain the confidence further and know exactly where the mark is. Those who don't get good at their desired range and that's as far as they shoot. At least ethically....can't wait for the season to roll out hope to see harvest pics from everyone

Agree 100%. I have a buddy that wounds a deer almost once a year, and I know several seasons when it's multiple deer that he's wounded!!! It' almost a joke to him, which is very, very sad given that he gets buck fever the minute he sees bone on a head. Needless to say, he doesn't hunt my properties anymore.

]

Point your buddy to a hind sight for his bow. It will help him immensely. Great discipline on your wallhanger.

We all have our different methods. To each is own. At the end of the day, being competent and confident in our equipment is everything. I began shooting longer distances after listen to a friend talk about shooting 50, 60, and even 70 yards and then witnessing him do so. Was he a "great" shot at 70? relatively speaking? maybe? Dinner plate at 70 seemed pretty good to me. But the big thing was his groups inside of 40 yards were impressive. 10, 20, 30 yards seemed like nothing. That day changed the way I shoot. I wish every shot was 15-25 yards but I have no issue shooting out to 40 yards with confidence. 

As for equipment...

Mathews Z7

28.5" draw and 62# draw weight

Sight= Copper John Dead Nuts 

Quiver= Apex

Rest= QAD Ultra Rest

Release= TRU Ball Stinger

Arrows= Carbon Express Pile Driver

Nocks= Nockturnal LIghted Nocks

Broadhead= Rage Hypodermic

post-139598-14747192321007_thumb.jpg

Well so far here in Ohio has been tough to say the least! Scouted all day yesterday in 96 degree weather!! Absolutely brutal! Didn't find anything that I could have confidence in so rather then wasting time in a tree I put more boot work In instead this morning. After covering a TON of ground I finally found a great spot along the edge of a corn field. Acorns, tons of trails, scrapes, rubs, and dropping that prove there is at least one buck in that area. Heading in shortly to try and get on one. Very long walks and mountain climbing to get back in there. Much different then back home! We did do some driving around and whent by a house where we saw a buck in the back of the pick up so we stopped to check it out. Young girl killed it and was her first deer! Proves that they do exist!