Legacy- 2016 Deer Season

Legacy

Saw 1 doe this afternoon and had to stay in my stand late because of a bunch of chasing going on around me. Waited for it to stop and got down, walked about 50 yards and whatever deer were still there blew and took off. Probably blew my spot up but I'm gonna give it one last shot in the morning. Tomorrow will be 2 years since I've shot a deer but hoping to match that days success with another 130" 10.

My Friends daughter shot a very nice buck tonight on our hunting grounds with a cross bow! It was chasing does all night but she waited him out and got it done! She is 16 and she shot a nice 2.5 yr old buck with a muzz last year and now this one, she is one great huntress!

post-139757-0-22494800-1479104010_thumb.jpg

post-139757-0-15459500-1479105097_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gene Shenk

What a great deer! Congratulations to her.

So, yesterday I made a really tough decision. It probably shouldn't have even been a decision to make, but I will admit to feeling sorely tempted when the largest deer I've ever seen alive in the woods presented himself at 20 yards,,,but I already harvested my buck this fall...but it was the biggest I'd seen in 35 years of hunting. And I have my buddy's tags who's coming up to open gun with me from Boston.

It shouldn't have been a decision, it should have been a closed book. Ethics played a part in my decision to hold off, but I've got to admint there was also a little bit of not wanting to be ashamed of a kill. Yes, social media and specifically this thread was the nail in the coffin. If I'd shot, I couldn't be proud of my harvest. I'd like to think that ethics alone would have sufficed, but thanks to all of you who've participated in this thread for helping to keep an honest hunter honest.

And even having not shot, my heart's still pounding this morning. That's what it's all about, right?

Definitely not a decision I'd wanna have to make.

Today is supposed to be the top deer movement day of the week and I have yet to see anything after light. Could have something to do with the doe I bumped out of her bed at the base of my tree however. Stuck with the stand though because I figured changing at that point would only stir up the woods more.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Saw this guy on his feet yesterday at 330. Unfortunately 200 yards and headed in the opposite direction. All the other action was close to dark. Does slowly filtered into the field followed by a year old buck that bumped, chased, and scent checked every single one of them.

post-139598-14791290838239_thumb.jpg

Dealing with wind this morning. I hate wind. I have only seen a doe and fawn so far. They went by me at 100mph. Gotta assume they were trying to avoid male company.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My Friends daughter shot a very nice buck tonight on our hunting grounds with a cross bow! It was chasing does all night but she waited him out and got it done! She is 16 and she shot a nice 2.5 yr old buck with a muzz last year and now this one, she is one great huntress!

Holy cow that is a slammer of a buck!!! Her dad and Gene should be more proud than a peacock!! She pasted him a little front depends how the deer was standing, but the proof is in the photo, perfect shot. Didn't have to look long for that boy!! Great deer young lady and I think that gave her a better thrill than winning any video game!! Not to mention this win puts a lot of goodies in the freezer!! Congrats to all that made this young ladies day. Not to mention maybe a wall mount!!

Edited by pap

This work thing is overrated! Back to reality unfortunately. Hopefully get out a few evenings this week before all hell beaks loose! This "Trophy" hunting thing is a tough task! This will be my 3rd season in a row without harvesting a buck with my bow. 3.5 is what I have been targeting and I have had my few opportunities over the last couple season but for one reason or another have not been able to get the job done. I had about 90 hours in a tree over the last 9 days alone and only 2 encounters with deer over that bar I have set for myself. The day it happens will be a good one!

Gator I know the feeling it's not easy. I could only think of a handful of hunters that have the same restraints. I can't tell you how many people offer thier buck tag to me as if it's legal. I know to many guys that shoot any buck early so thay can say they got one, then shoot a bigger one when the opertunity comes along.. seem everyone around me has this mentality and as long as it has a tag on it ear its ok. It's to easy to get away with in NY.

Sharing buck tags is probably the most common type of poaching.

Had the same thing happen to me during gun season last year. 2 days after I took my buck I had a giants at 40 yards! Hardest thing ever to not pull the trigger knowing how easy it would be to get away with it. Still have not layed eyes on that deer since.

I'm just curious about some things in this thread? There have been more slammer bucks taken in this thread than I ever saw in a life time. NY state is doing something WAY differant than Pa. Are most of you guys hunting the big woods of NY or are you hunting farm lands that border big woods. I don't get it why Pa. hunters aren't seeing the amount of big bucks you guys see. Don't get me wrong Pa. produces some bruisers also but those bucks, the majority are taken in the southwestern part of the state. There are some taken in the norther counties. Either you guys as a majority are way more ethical minded, just like post above, left the biggest buck of a lifetime walk, I can guarantee that in Pa. That would have been brown & down situation. We also have a lot of poaching going on around here, there should be no spotlighting from the start of the deer season till the end. The only time you cannot light around is during the rifle season??. That way if a light is seen it's definitely a poacher not dad taking a ride to show the kids deer in a field. Of course the car insurance companies and the game commission are working together to bring the population down, as Pa. is one of the highest states to have deer related accidents!! They changed the rules, from 2 weeks of buck season and 3 days of doe season to 2 weeks of DEER season, so what ever comes just shoot, if you tag your deer and process it you can go again the same day!! So many doe's got shot off it was sickening. This went on for years. Now this year you must harvest a buck in the first week only, so the game comm. is now ****ing that the license counts went way down, REALLY, after hunting a week and didn't even see a deer.I will say there are 3 major gangs that hunt a lot of land around here, and they made their own rules and that was the first week you could only shoot a legal buck, except the younger kids up to the age of 14, which must have at least 3 points on one side. Where the western part of the state must have 3 up excluding a brow tine, I wish this was statewide rule, but at least it's a step in the right direction. OK, now that I bored ya to tears!! Keep up the great job you NY state hunters!! I can plainly see why a lot of Pa. Guys go to NY & Ohio to hunt the all mighty whitetail!!!