Seneca news.

Well, despite the depression many are having on seneca, we're still managing really good days. Also, assuming not many have been back since the derby, our fishery is looking promising in the near future. The amount of small salmon and browns that are being caught, not targeted, but caught, will make for a great fishery in a year or two. Many rainbows out there in good numbers and size..

Lakers of all sizes have been the norm. After the DEC taking samples on the spring derby, stated that the size salmon being weighed in were 3 to 4 years old, may have answered the question, why there were so few salmon being caught. And the ones that were , were all the same size for the most part. Maybe they had a census and it was a success, I believe they stocked salmon at some point mid june...

I could be wrong..

Senecas looking good! Also, the bait quantity is so high. In my opinion, what fish are active, are full and stuffed to the gills. Bait clouds a mile long, from 80 to 130 down. And yes, IT IS BAIT! Sawbellies on the hooks says so. [emoji12].

Head to middle of lake, and the bait is down 150 to 170. Note, a few bows have been taken in the last month down 130 foot... obviously the fish are where the feed is... who cares that the water is 47°.

Just sharing some potentially, good and useful info. My seasons almost to an end. Good fishing to all.

Nick

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nick - I can't help but agree, the number of huge bait schools in many parts of the lake the last two years is certainly making it a real challenge to entice them to opt for a lure. I picked up a nice rainbow last weekend down 95' on the rigger which seems rare but does tell me I've been putting too many lines too high. Cayuga has certainly been hot this year but I'm hopeful it'll back to our turn in the next couple years.

Thanks for the insight and keeping the positive attitude [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The smallmouth fishing has been decent for anyone not having much luck with trout.  Fishing mostly midlake on east side in the evenings.  Getting a few tiny laketrout in the 100 to 125ft range on copper.

Thanks guys. Just my own opinion, one from a guy who spends way more time on this lake than most on this site I'm sure...

I don't want to step on our DEC's toes, just stating the observation, as I have not seen the confirmed stocking results. Only official stocking I can say happened was the Lakers we stocked personally last fall.

I do not have near the experience or knowledge that Nick has in the trout category. That being said I absolutely agree with what has been said in this post. No the fish have not jumped in the boat this year but honestly it has not been that bad. I have boated a decent number of fish each time out. I also agree that the fish are literally stuffed to the gills with bait. We cleaned a mediocre size salmon that had 13 sawbellies in its stomach! Also these fish are getting bigger for example the Brown that won the derby! Seneca looks to me like it's doing just fine. My son has been doing very well off the dock lately. Tons of small bass, bluegill and other newborn fry swimming around. One thing I don't quite understand is the algae on the seaweed but other than that things look just fine to me. If anyone is planning a trip to Seneca it helps to do a bit of research. Nicks posts are the best info anyone could ask for. As I convert back to perchecutioner and break out the waterfowl gun and bowhunting equipment I wish everybody the best of luck wether it be in the woods or on the water!!! Tight lines, peace out......

This probably isn't a novel idea and may have been discussed on here before but is there any reason why Chinook/King salmon would not be a stocking option for Cayuga or Seneca Lakes? 

I know that natural spawning areas would be limited but the depth and size of the lakes seem plenty big enough.  There seems to be ample forage as well.  I guess that could be a worry though if they would quickly deplete it. 

I can only imagine how cool it would be catching big salmon on the Fingerlakes.  They would also likely taste better and be healthier to eat then from Lake Ontario.

Although wishful thinking, it could never and will never happen, although, I'm sure a few have made their way into seneca, we have had some vicious diver hits on the old FF rigs and spoons, 50 foot of line off the spool in seconds and gone!

I guess although we may have all fantasized about it...but  Pacific salmon would be a very poor fit for the Fingers and you have hit on probably one of the most important factors.....suitability of stream and spawning habitat. Many of the streams in the Fingers are only available in the early Spring during "normal" years and the rainbows mainly depend on the the larger ones then (e.g. Catherines, Keuka Outlet etc.) The nature of the "beast" is also a consideration though as Pacifric salmon are programmed wiring wise as ocean going and free ranging fish  requiring large areas to roam that feed largely on suspended bait and they do not have the varied diet that many of the trout have or Atlantics for that matter. I've found for example plenty of bugs of various types in the stomach contents of trout and Atlantics but never in a Chinook. My hunch is that if thousands of them were dumped in the Fingers they would eat the place out of house and home in terms of the alewife base and if there were any smelt left as well leaving the remaining species with little for which to forage. The primary problem is that they would in all probability severely upset the balance of the existing ecosystem that is currently stressed by invasives and a lot of other factors leading to a large deterioration in the overall fishing quality of these lakes.

Edited by Sk8man

I read an article about this log storage facility and the damaging outcomes from spills over the last 60 yrs. What about the run offs from the wineries. Obviously the wineries are paying for the study to hinder the salt plant expansion. It's all politics. Off topic but...

Here is a link to the article. http://www.fltimes.com/news/spills-in-years-ithaca-firm-details-u-s-salt-discharges/article_980499d8-6f8f-11e6-9d7c-47b4b286cd32.html

It would be nice to see more detailed information on exactly why and what was released into the lake.  None of us are likely to know for sure what has happened or what could happen with this new gas storage proposal.  But if there is any chance whatsoever that it could be harmful to the lake then its absolutely insane to allow it to happen.  Seneca Lake has been tested to have around 4 times the salt content of any of the other Fingerlakes.  It seems more then likely the salt mines must have something to do with it.  I have been starting to look into what species can tolerate which salinity.  I will post what I can find.

I guess if it gets too bad my Pacific salmon idea might be the only option.  We know they can tolerate the salinity and we know that alewifes can too.  From what I have read, natural reproduction doesn't play a big part in the salmon stock on Lake Ontario either.  The canal system could possibly be implemented though for some spawning on Cayuga and Seneca.  Salmonids other then Lake Trout are not native to the Fingerlakes either so its not like it would be pushing out native species.  It was just an idea to contemplate though.  I know its unlikely to ever happen.

Seneca Lake, the largest and deepest of the 11 Finger Lakes, provides drinking water for more than 100,000 people, including residents of Geneva and Waterloo.

You would think someone would be testing drinking water on a daily or at least weekly and if they had to increase a salt filter system someone should know. Anyone paying for that water should have a right to know also.

Let me simply say........knowledge is power. The Seneca salinity issue is part of a much wider issue having to do with politics, big money , NY FL water quality , Community health +++. If you have the time go to Walter Hang's site at TOXICSOLUTIONS as he is a neighbor to many of us who fish, hunt and love the Fingers. His company is located in Ithaca.

x2 on Walter Hang I've talked at length with him at Ithaca College after one of his presentations and he is one of the most knowledgeable people I've met concerning these environmental issues.