Carp fishing

NVus88

For starters I'm kind of surprised there's no thred for this. Maybe start a trash fish category?

Anyway after not fishing for them for the past 10 years or so I thought I'd give them a shot the other night. I made a batch of BOLLIES during a recent rain storm and bagged them up. Went out to Fulton and fished from 11-2am( wife and daughters are asleep so it's the only time I got lately). In the 3 hours of fishing I had a perfect run of 6 for 6. Smallest was 12lbs, the biggest 22lbs. I got some goofy looks showing up with a drop net, but soon showed the POKEMON crew why it was needed. I had the first fish on before I could bait up my second rod.

post-158647-0-40270200-1472592771_thumb.jpeg

post-158647-0-93333400-1472592820_thumb.jpeg

Not sure why they aren't a bigger sport fish. I'm on Otisco and we get tons of people sport fishing tigers but nobody bothers with carp. I get a few a season between accidentally snagging them and the occasional one that strikes a plug. Here is one from 9 days ago trolling walleye that actually choked the plug....weighed 20 lbs and out fought any tiger I've ever seen... including ones I've fought in current.

post-151276-1472599498_thumb.jpg

I got one well over 30 (maxed my scale) on a plug several years ago trolling...there's a pic on here. When they hit a plug trolling it is exactly like a snag...takes fairly heavy tackle when the boat isn't stationary. We have insane numbers of big carp and clear water to see them. Tons of them are caught off the causeway.

I love this!!!!  They are my favorite fish to go after and I am proud to admit it.  I love the prep, the gear and the methods used.  Half the fun is making the bait.

Rochester is hosting it's first derby where carp are one of the main targets on September 10th.  Lure For A Cure.  I have prizes from FishUSA, Northport Nailer, and many others.

Look under the tournaments for more details.

post-143370-279438_thumb.jpg

A great resource for the the "golden bonefish" is https://www.youtube.com/user/catfishandcarp

This guy is the best!!!  I've reached out to him from his website and he responds quick to help with questions.

I get all my gear from www.bigcarptackle.com  They are prompt and have the best stuff.

I highly recommend the delkim alarms!!!  I've caught many more fish using these over the other "roller" detection.  These alarms have a little ceramic "v" that will not be set off by current or wind, only takes and even draw back bites.

This week's hottest bait has been a basic cornmeal dough ball with a little bit of hazelnut coffee creamer added.  They hit that more than the anise or straight up dough.  Corn was second.  Tight Lines!

Anyone else ever get one on a tube jig? I got a 31 lber in Cuba lake one spring a while back. I was fishing for rockies and c and r smallmouth. I thought I had a record walleye or a giant catfish until I got it up and saw the huge scales, heaviest fish I ever landed.

My brother landed one jigging a spinner bait. Destroyed his ultra light. So I can't say I'm surprised by hitting a tube. They're pretty opportunistic creatures. As for the Asian carp, YouTube the guy going after them on waterskies and a sword.