I trolled west and went 1-3 this morning attachicon.gifIMG_1473552791.831725.jpg

Yes a 6lb walleye!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Now that's a trophy in my mind!! And Jr is thinking the same!! I'll take 3 eyes a day instead of the zombie fish that are staging for the river. Nice job guys!!!!

l

Jbasile, be careful using the cannon plastic rod holders that come with the riggers. I lost a rod last week when it folded down to the water. The teeth striped out and the housing cracked. Check yours on the back side of where the serrated teeth are under the rod holder. Cannon replaced both of mine. 2 months old and cracked..

Sent from my SM-S920L using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks for the advice. I have had my issues also with the cannon rod holders . I too have had them replaced. As far as the weights i use the 12lb fish weights. And I always start off with just 2 riggers in the water and 2 to 4 Dipsy roads out. Staggered ! If no action then I will drop the other 2 riggers down. Just personal pref. Over the yrs I have found that I get more hits and fish with just the 2 riggers down. As far as length behind the ball, again that's something I let the fish tell me they like. I stagger them and when I get a release I move other to same length. And Artemas it sounds like your doing things right. It's a tuff season . Look at some of the post of guys who been fishing this lake for 20 yrs there struggling too. As a matter a fact when I was there 2 weeks ago I herd multiple boats saying they been there for a week and didn't boat a fish. Good luck hope this helps u put them on the deck.

Artemas:  I started fishing lake Ontario back in 83 and it was easy to catch lots of fish , all species.

I sold the  last boat in 2001 and quit fishing when I started getting skunked regularly. 

I just returned to Sodus and have been hooking up a little but nothing like the late 1980's [sad to say]

Keep in mind that the water is far clearer today that it was so you must change tactics, that is why the dipsy's do well. [farther from your boat shadow.] 

I would bet that boat color makes a difference too  a blue bottom painted boat might do better than other colors depending on light conditions.

The one thing I learned this year is do not follow the fleet because they are not doing so well this year.  

I also discovered that using frozen saw bellies on a Sutton Hemlock spinner worked better than any spoon in my box.

I think that this season is not over and we should have several more weeks of better fishing ahead

Good luck

And motor noise and the sonar noise too could spook the fish ?

IF  you are fishing deep water and wont drag bottom try turning off the sonar.

Bet you might hook more fish

Want to see my point !

Go swimming near a boat while the motor is running in gear !

Now if you can go under your boat while the sonar is chirping !

Yes it makes noise!

Edited by Dr W

And motor noise and the sonar noise too could spook the fish ?

IF you are fishing deep water and wont drag bottom try turning off the sonar.

Bet you might hook more fish

Want to see my point !

Go swimming near a boat while the motor is running in gear !

Now if you can go under your boat while the sonar is chirping !

Yes it makes noise!

Interesting

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Those are some interesting points and thoughts dr W. I will def check that out just to see what it sounds like . But I hope ur wrong about the boat color cause I don't want to paint mine. Lol I will say this, don't enjoy getting skunked BUT it's those days/weeks like 2 weeks ago that keep me coming back. It's an AWSOME fishery and I'm so thankful to be able to enjoy it.

Wow that was something I didn't know. I run two fish finders so I must be pinging the **** out of them. You've all gave me some good information and advice which will be used tomorrow (friday). Hopefully fish will cooperate. Thank you all for the information and encouragement. I usually do not have much of a problem catching fish. Catch a lot of Lakers night trolling in the finger lakes and two years ago we killed the salmon out of Oswego. Only caught two last season. Nothing yet but maybe tomorrow. Have you ever heard of anybody trolling at night ? No boat traffic then. Works well for Lakers.

Thanks again.

Artemas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I tried it a number of times over the yrs. most recent was 1 week ago. Lake was so calm and we were doing so good with the kings we decided to stay out till 10 pm. Our last fish came at 7:30pm and not a bit after that. We threw everything at them. Now I'm not saying they don't hit in the dark, all I'm saying is they didn't hit for us that night. I will say this from 5 pm till that sun hits the water they came alive. Every night for the entire week I was there (1 week ago). It was like some one flipped a switch. Way better then the morning. Good luck.

Thanks Jbasile need all luck I can get. I'm sure we passed each other on the water this will be the third weekend in a row that we've been there. Third times the charm hopefully. The boat is in Katlynne Marina till the end of the month so I have a little bit of time to catch something.

I'm sure we have crossed paths out there. I'm there allot during the yr. can't get enough. Next yr I will have to keep in touch with ya so we can team up on them out there! Lol I don't fish Derby so I usually tell all so people can enjoy the fishing not get frustrated. And JS we did a majority of our fish down 80 over 100-115. Now in sure it's changed some what but that's a good start. If u don't move a rod don't be afraid to get in tight. 50-60 ft. Last yr we had them in 40 ft on the east shore out the chute.

I usually only get up for the month of September . I'll keep an eye out for ya. Always nice to have friends out there on the water. Will let you know how things go tomorrow. Going up solo for the day but will be there for the weekend. Hopefully weather will cooperate sat and sun.

Interesting

I learned that the hard way ... Rigger cable around the prop off Bradick  way back around 1998.

I went in the water with my shorty wet suit because it was so bad  and  when I went under the boat I could not believe how loud.

As a kid I remember boats on Canandaigua lake sounding like a click click click and clicks faster with more speed.

I learned that the hard way ... Rigger cable around the prop off Bradick way back around 1998.

I went in the water with my shorty wet suit because it was so bad and when I went under the boat I could not believe how loud.

As a kid I remember boats on Canandaigua lake sounding like a click click click and clicks faster with more speed.

Paying attention to detail. Plain and simple. That is something that can be easily over looked by lots.

I'll keep it in mind. Maybe shut all off, once I'm where I need to be. Worth a shot.

And...longer leads, 75 to 100.

Edited by ITS A FISHAL

Fished east and west of.the shoot today from 8am till dark . 1 shot on rigger in 80 fow down 75 spoon. Start in 140 fow till wind pick up and 4- 5 footers started to pound me around. Moved to 60 fow Mark some fish then turned off all electronics and went stelth mode. Nothing in the boat again today. Marked a lot of fish in the evening in 90 fow to 60 fow. Could not find one willing to participate. Maybe tomorrow. Beautiful harvest moon rise on the lake tonight.post-158937-14740726995088_thumb.jpg