bassman69767

Braid Diver Setup Question

Recommended Posts

I'm thinking about getting a couple of braid diver setups.  I fish Champlain quite a bit and I want to fish Slide Divers on braid.  What size reels are the best size for this application.  What pound test braid works best?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm running them on 30# fireline because of the fleas in Ontario. They work fine except I have to rotate the tubing like it says to do in the instructions for braid. Otherwise there is some slippage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I attach a section of 30lb mono to the braid for diver to slide on- 40 feet works for me. Never have any slip issue- I do keep an eye on the mono as it tends to kink up after a while. I change it out if I see an issue. X2 on using 30 size reel-also use some 47lc's for braid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I attach a section of 30lb mono to the braid for diver to slide on- 40 feet works for me. Never have any slip issue-

 

X2... also do the same with a mono leader in front of wire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi...

What is the advantage of putting a length of mono to the wire? Why not just run the slide diver on a reel with just mono? Does running the wire help with the release of the diver due to the

lack stretch in the wire vs the amount of stretch of mono?

I have both wire and mono set-ups and I'm wondering what will work the best for me when I use slide divers.

Thanks and Boat Safe

Egoody

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All mono does have the release issue with stretch and lack of depth due to larger diameter. I like the mono section for the slide diver to slide on as the SD doesn't slip on the mono. SD website does have some videos on different setups which can be helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30 lb fireline fused "grey" (black) with a 50-75'mono leader to a barrel swivel to an 8' fluoro leader

Edited by Gill-T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run 50lb power pro for the backing and splice in about 100ft 80lb power pro that the diver is hooked run on. I haven't had any issues with the diver sliding and you won't break off any divers as I've had happen with the mono.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2016 at 1:46 PM, MeanMachine said:

I run 50lb power pro for the backing and splice in about 100ft 80lb power pro that the diver is hooked run on. I haven't had any issues with the diver sliding and you won't break off any divers as I've had happen with the mono.

Was curious. I'm a new by to trolling and was going to run 20# mono, simply because its easier for me to achieve accurate depth using charts with my lack of experience. Wanted to know what caused your divers to break off ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like mentioned above all mono isn't the best idea on the account that it stretches way to much, although it will trip the diver you experience a lot of false releases, because of the extreme amount of stretch it doesn't sink the hooks home in the hard parts of the mouth, not to mention that will give the fish enough time to spit the hooks. I run 30# power pro on a 20 series reel no problem and a 50' piece if flurocarbon  for the slide diver and be kind of stealthy. You can run all power pro just spin that rubber tubing around, like the directions read,  then run a flurocarbon leader the length of your rod if you want to tie direct. I've lost to many rigs tying direct going from braid to mono. Never had an issue joining two of the same, but mono to fluro, I just can't trust that knot. I even tried using superglue like some say, and had break offs at the glue spot, looks like the glue might have interacted with the fluro. I checked my other rods that I did the same and I could break the line all above the glue joint. I used a number 10 Spro swivel. They are good to 30# and the 8's are rated for 50# I went with the Spro #10 on the account of pole eyes getting ruined? I don't use copper or wire because I never worked with either one, plus I don't have the stamina or patients for that, reeling 450-600 feet of line in plus I would think the fish is expired beyond a release and I don't have livewells  big enough for a king to revive itself. I could be wrong, but if someone dragged my ass a half mile by my mouth I think I would of died at halfway point!!

LOL. PAP. :whew:.  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just compared lines on Bassproshops. Power pro 30# braid is .53 dia. Berkeley 20# big game mono is .43. The mono is smaller diameter. Just telling ya what I'm reading. I use a double uni and never had issues with mono to fluoro even long casting 1oz lures. I guess its all a matter of preference right ?

I mean if you run braid, depth accuracy becomes an issue unless someone gives you romanacks guide which will never happen and good luck finding a chart for running braid, slide divers slide, you have to flip a tube, tie a barrel swivel.

Too many variables in my opinion. I don't operate a charter. 

I'd like to spool #20 mono and a fluoro leader, slap a SD on, inline weight or dipsy off boards and go fish. There are free depth charts for ucharters,dipsy, and the 50/50 method. The second I switch to braid everything becomes more difficult and harder to access as far as charts/accuracy are concerned. If I miss a few fish due to stretch, that means I'm on em an I'll get em the next pass....lol. Point is accuracy. If I'm accurate I will catch them. I don't have a fancy depth finder either. Traditional sonar up to 300ft in a 12' boat.

Was just curious y the diver was lost on mono. Hey, I'm just a wknd warrior. I could be wrong , but simple might be more. Less can be more.

Rather be accurate with mono and miss a few, than miss em all running braid. Like I said good luck finding any braid charts unless you buy trolling bible. 

Edited by moonfish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moonfish said:

I just compared lines on Bassproshops. Power pro 30# braid is .53 dia. Berkeley 20# big game mono is .43. The mono is smaller diameter. Just telling ya what I'm reading. I use a double uni and never had issues with mono to fluoro even long casting 1oz lures. I guess its all a matter of preference right ?

I mean if you run braid, depth accuracy becomes an issue unless someone gives you romanacks guide which will never happen and good luck finding a chart for running braid, slide divers slide, you have to flip a tube, tie a barrel swivel.

Too many variables in my opinion. I don't operate a charter. 

I'd like to spool #20 mono and a fluoro leader, slap a SD on, inline weight or dipsy off boards and go fish. There are free depth charts for ucharters,dipsy, and the 50/50 method. The second I switch to braid everything becomes more difficult and harder to access as far as charts/accuracy are concerned. If I miss a few fish due to stretch, that means I'm on em an I'll get em the next pass....lol. Point is accuracy. If I'm accurate I will catch them. I don't have a fancy depth finder either. Traditional sonar up to 300ft in a 12' boat.

Was just curious y the diver was lost on mono. Hey, I'm just a wknd warrior. I could be wrong , but simple might be more. Less can be more.

Rather be accurate with mono and miss a few, than miss em all running braid. Like I said good luck finding any braid charts unless you buy trolling bible. 

Yes you are correct about the not knowing where my lure is running. I've bought every trolling bible that Mark ever published plus I've talked to the man himself at a seminar he held at the Harrisburg sportshow. He used 30# braid in many of his tests, that's the one of the reasons I use the power pro, plus the influence of this board, many on here were using it also. So with the trolling bibles I feel as if I'm near where the fish are with my lures. Mark does have a on line system of some kind that you can access his info at a price of some sort. Search his web site to see what and if anything.

Edited by pap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I been on the site. Not willing to pull the wallet out just yet....lol. I do a lot of warm water species fishing, but I'm mostly on finger lakes that have trout/walleye as well. This will be my 2nd yr as a boat owner too ! So trolling for these 2 species is a new endeavor and keeping things simple for now is my best bet til I get some experience under my belt. I see it as a part time endeavor because I like to fish for bass and pike. But broadening my horizon will be fun.

I spend most of my time on conesus, hemlock, canadice, honeyoye lake. Occasionally Irondequoit bay, Gennessee River. MAYBE get to canandaigua a few times. Purchasing 2 okuma 7'10 planer rods with Magda 20 reel, church tackle planers, divers & pro weight system (Guppy's).

New this year for me, weather/water depending, is early spring shallow trout trolling on LO shores. I'm ssssssooooo excited !!!! Probably should bring some toilet paper with me 1st time out .......lol. Yep, I'm a certified OCD angler....lmao

Edited by moonfish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moonfish said:

Yeah I been on the site. Not willing to pull the wallet out just yet....lol. I do a lot of warm water species fishing, but I'm mostly on finger lakes that have trout/walleye as well. This will be my 2nd yr as a boat owner too ! So trolling for these 2 species is a new endeavor and keeping things simple for now is my best bet til I get some experience under my belt. I see it as a part time endeavor because I like to fish for bass and pike. But broadening my horizon will be fun.

I spend most of my time on conesus, hemlock, canadice, honeyoye lake. Occasionally Irondequoit bay, Gennessee River. MAYBE get to canandaigua a few times. Purchasing 2 okuma 7'10 planer rods with Magda 20 reel, church tackle planers, divers & pro weight system (Guppy's).

New this year for me, weather/water depending, is early spring shallow trout trolling on LO shores. I'm ssssssooooo excited !!!! Probably should bring some toilet paper with me 1st time out .......lol. Yep, I'm a certified OCD angler....lmao

Trust me by the end of February most of us will be in the same shoes.LOL the killer is when the western basin thaws before the NE shores do, having to read and see others fishing while there's still iced over bays that we can't get out is a real kick in the ass!! Best of luck to ya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey moon fish regarding the mono on your dipsy lines the charts that come with the dipsy divers are not that accurate in my experience. I to am not a charter Captain and fish on a budget but there is a lot of knowledge on this sight that will help you get your lures to the desired depth useing braid or wire. You are setting yourself up for failure useing mono on a dipsy and I say this by doing it. Mono has way to much stretch which you will find out very first time you have to reel in a fish with the diver not tripped. Also the charts read for speeds of 3 MPH way to fast for trout in the finger lakes. I fish with both wire and braid dipsy but did try fishing with mono when I first started. You are going to be frustrated right of the bat. Take people's advice most of it comes from people realizing that something didn't work. Good luck to you. I would switch over to braid if I were you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah your probably right. But its a real guessing game using braid if there aren't charts and no on e gives gives any tips. Like a #1 dipsy on setting one, say 150' back. I know what depth is for mono. If I'm slow trolling 1.5 mph then I need to let more line out to get it deeper or change the setting. I can work with that. But I have no info on braid. Like I said, I have to buy trolling bible. 

I know of people that use mono as well. Can't you adjust tension release on dipsy ? I've seen in videos too where they have tripped the dipsy release, like setting a hook. I'm willing to take advice. I guess I could find braid diameter like 20- 30# but have to get a diameter comparable to a chart showing mono depths because there are no braid charts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People will give you info. When people say they are marking fish at x depths and have x amount of line out you can duplicate what they are doing. Most of the time people are fishing with wire but useing and duplicating what they are doing with braid will get you alot closers to the fishes than you will with mono. And yes you can pop the dipsy useing a setting the hook motion but you won't be able to do that with mono if you are fishing at any real depth. If you want to find out what depth your braid diver is running troll in a certain depth of water and let out line until late your diver strikes bottom. Then you can figure out how much line you had out for what you are seeing on your radar and you will be able to make your own chart. I have noticed that a 3 to 1 ratio works with a size 1 dipsy set from 0 to 1 pretty close and after that 2 and 3 settings are 5 to 1. Also you are losing alot of depth capabilities because of the stretch in the mono. It will belly out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A mono dipsy out 2 or 300 ft you will never trip the dipsy to get it it in. You will have to real in the weight of the dipsy. And they create a ton of resistance at that depth. You will swear you are bringing a whale in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lily said:

People will give you info. When people say they are marking fish at x depths and have x amount of line out you can duplicate what they are doing. Most of the time people are fishing with wire but useing and duplicating what they are doing with braid will get you alot closers to the fishes than you will with mono. And yes you can pop the dipsy useing a setting the hook motion but you won't be able to do that with mono if you are fishing at any real depth. If you want to find out what depth your braid diver is running troll in a certain depth of water and let out line until late your diver strikes bottom. Then you can figure out how much line you had out for what you are seeing on your radar and you will be able to make your own chart. I have noticed that a 3 to 1 ratio works with a size 1 dipsy set from 0 to 1 pretty close and after that 2 and 3 settings are 5 to 1. Also you are losing alot of depth capabilities because of the stretch in the mono. It will belly out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app
 

I don't understand what you mean by 3 to 1 ratio. What are you comparing ? Mono to braid ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.