How was your season? Slowest ever for me.

Other than late June into July, it's sucked. If we didn't have that awesome 5 weeks of Salmon fishing, it would have gone in the books as the worst ever.

Thank God for Lake Trout, but man that is getting old the last few years. Maybe I should move to Canada with Whoopie Goldberg when Trump wins.....lol. They rocked it this year.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

April/May slow but mainly weather related for me. June and July were great... esp July boated decent numbers, a mature here and there...then the big blow (end of July), August/Sept. has sucked for me!! A lot depends on where you fish and for how long. Some of my best trips would have been a bust had i left by 11 or 12, but i stuck it out and found fish. Meat was a good producer for me this year which was a new technique for me so that was cool. I lost my steering on the PY just inches from the dock today upon return. I might be done for the year unless I rig up the lund. Thank God it happened there and then and not some greater distance from port. Aside from breaking down in the driveway this was the second best scenario!

Dan

I'm not complanining. Fish strictly off niagara county and sometimes go into canadian waters. Tons of staging kings at bar right now. some are calling the past month the best they've ever seen. You know if your only getting out twice a week its really hard to stay on top of this fishing. You really gotta watch the weather and pick your days. When the east win blows best to stay home. When it starts coming from SW or W don't expect fishing to get good in 1 day. BTW, I only got out twice a week this year but I was able to pick those days somewhat.Got friends that are out 3-4 days aweek,and always out there when weather is right. I network with these guys and it helps a ton.

I'm not complanining. Fish strictly off niagara county and sometimes go into canadian waters. Tons of staging kings at bar right now. some are calling the past month the best they've ever seen. You know if your only getting out twice a week its really hard to stay on top of this fishing. You really gotta watch the weather and pick your days. When the east win blows best to stay home. When it starts coming from SW or W don't expect fishing to get good in 1 day. BTW, I only got out twice a week this year but I was able to pick those days somewhat.Got friends that are out 3-4 days aweek,and always out there when weather is right. I network with these guys and it helps a ton.

Jeepers Mike, you are "only getting out twice a week"?  I could only be so lucky.  I am going to have to start networking with you.

Worst year I have seen, with more skunks than I can count.  Normally bad days were 2-3 fish, good days 8-10+ fish, and 1-2x being skunked.  This year, best day was 8 fish, had more than a dozen skunks, landed one darn Major (that was this weekend) and while I lost a few, I was averaging 1-3 fish most outings and if not for a few nice 10# steelies, some lakers and browns here and there, it would have been better to fish for smallmouth!  If it weren't for a lot of other people having bad days and a lot of that from Rochester basin to Fair haven, I would have said it was me, but I know it wasn't.  Fishing West off the Niagara was good from what I heard and saw, and OZ definitely had some action, but the inbetween seemed VERY hit and miss.......and I definitely missed more than I should have.  If they reduce the stocking numbers like they are talking about, I am thinking their will be a lot more years like this. 

The king fishing for me was the worst I have seen.! For the last 10 years I have only been skunked twice both times were this year with Saturday being one of them. Not what I would expect for this time of year. I pulled the boat out and went back to Cayuga. I hope something changes next year but I went out looking for some two year olds and nothing. That does not make me feel good about the future .

Worst year I have seen, with more skunks than I can count. Normally bad days were 2-3 fish, good days 8-10+ fish, and 1-2x being skunked. This year, best day was 8 fish, had more than a dozen skunks, landed one darn Major (that was this weekend) and while I lost a few, I was averaging 1-3 fish most outings and if not for a few nice 10# steelies, some lakers and browns here and there, it would have been better to fish for smallmouth! If it weren't for a lot of other people having bad days and a lot of that from Rochester basin to Fair haven, I would have said it was me, but I know it wasn't. Fishing West off the Niagara was good from what I heard and saw, and OZ definitely had some action, but the inbetween seemed VERY hit and miss.......and I definitely missed more than I should have. If they reduce the stocking numbers like they are talking about, I am thinking their will be a lot more years like this.

Close to my experience. I log every fish every year- my average day is about 6 for 8, going back about 10 years now. This spring I well exceeded that (granted some of it was fishing out of olcott). May 22 was my last "great" day, and that was the niagara pro am.

From June on my numbers were way down. I never had my steelhead fishing or consistent brown fishing out of Sodus... A few good days here and there but a LOT of 1-3 fish days. My fishing contacts in Sodus would periodically have great days but I always seemed to miss it, and I've never heard so much grumbling about slow fishing on the radio. Salmon fishing out of Sodus was dismal this year. For the first time in as long as I can remember, I didn't have a single day with 5 or more mature salmon in July or August. Strange stuff for sure.

I got my first official skunk in about 3 years as well. That was fun!

I'm sure I could have padded my numbers with lakers, but if I'm fishing for me, I'm not targeting them...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by rdebadts

Fish were concentrated from June thru July from Wilson to the Oak. Great numbers when traditionally June is a snoozer.

Couldn't agree more. May -July we had our best to date trips. Slowed considerably in Aug when lake flipped.

Went from 25-30 rips a day in June and July to 3-6 in aug

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

In June and July, I found days that the kings would not hit a flasher fly combo or hit anything if one was in the riggers.  This was not every trip but a good number of them.  I also took more fish deep in cold water or high in warm water than I did in temp.  I saw a LOT of guys out of Sandy that would run to the same spots over and over again and complain about the fishing being slow.  Some days you have to burn gas to find fish. 

The LOC fall derby had only 3 or 4 fish entered from Rochester to the Oak Orchard area for all 60 place fish divisions.

I understand the Salmon year classes change with stocking from previous years ect... but what about the larger browns and steelhead not present in the mid section of the lake ?

Edited by fishfish

The LOC fall derby had only 3 or 4 fish entered from Rochester to the Oak Orchard area for all 60 place fish divisions.

I understand the Salmon year classes change with stocking from previous years ect... but what about the browns and steelhead not present in the mid section of the lake ?

Browns are there.  Steelhead, who knows.  It would be nice to have the laker division back so we have something to place with in the Fall derby.....

I understand the Salmon year classes change with stocking from previous years ect... but what about the larger browns and steelhead not present in the mid section of the lake ?[/quote

You may be seeing the results of two years of steelhead die-offs in the salmon River, mega brown lifting in creeks happening, and the charter fleet having to key on trout with King numbers down

regarding the location of placing fish... my buddy and I also believe that more bigger fish (kings) come out of the east end because of the numbers of boats fishing that end of the lake. I fished out of mexico pt once and it was amazing the amount of boats out there. The parade of boats coming up the channel was pulpit to transom if you will. yup the steelhead vaporized too out of Sandy( my experience).

regarding the location of placing fish... my buddy and I also believe that more bigger fish (kings) come out of the east end because of the numbers of boats fishing that end of the lake. I fished out of mexico pt once and it was amazing the amount of boats out there. The parade of boats coming up the channel was pulpit to transom if you will. yup the steelhead vaporized too out of Sandy( my experience).

More bigger fish come out of the East end because there are way more salmon at that end of the lake during the fall derby.  The Salmon river gets a good stocking and tons of natural reproduction.  Just like the Niagara in the spring, there is a larger concentration of salmon. 

More bigger fish come out of the East end because there are way more salmon at that end of the lake during the fall derby. The Salmon river gets a good stocking and tons of natural reproduction. Just like the Niagara in the spring, there is a larger concentration of salmon. [/

Well I did some research and it's far more expensive to seasonal dock west of Mexico .

Now I'm at a crossroads . Do I stick with the Mexico port , grin and bear things or just show up for a vacation week towards end of August there or take a few trips here and there to fair haven state park which have transient docks ?

I got beat down pretty hard this season . I don't make the adventure out until stripers are gone here in late May so I'm not interested in Browns that much .

If we just had some action ( not looking for a fish every trip ) I could dream of next season but we had the worst of my 3 so it's getting frustrating and my wife is questioning my sanity as well as her wallet , lol

Rich

Edited by Rich s

Well I did some research and it's far more expensive to seasonal dock west of Mexico .

Now I'm at a crossroads . Do I stick with the Mexico port , grin and bear things or just show up for a vacation week towards end of August there or take a few trips here and there to fair haven state park which have transient docks ?

I got beat down pretty hard this season . I don't make the adventure out until stripers are gone here in late May so I'm not interested in Browns that much .

If we just had some action ( not looking for a fish every trip ) I could dream of next season but we had the worst of my 3 so it's getting frustrating and my wife is questioning my sanity as well as her wallet , lol

Rich

How far west did you look?  Sandy Creek in Hamlin is cheap compared to the Oak and The Genesee River. 

Worst year for me but it hurts more when your boat sits most of june and july when coaching travel softball. Why the heck did i agree to that job? ;)

Aug has been the worst. I hope sept does better.... Ill even leave the bow alone if we can catch fish!!!

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fishing out of FH was overall slow. We were spoiled in 2012 and 2013

With double digit number almost every trip. Last two years have been tough. Really had to work for fish. They were there but had to take full advantage of every opportunity. IMO the Amount of NE winds this year really affected my port. The fish did show up just later than usual

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by bout time