How was your season? Slowest ever for me.

Co worker did 3 rd place finisher in fall LOC and placed well in other summer derbies ,has a port in fair haven . He was into fish every weekend . I'm not a derby fisher .

I have moved a rod 4 times out of Mexico from June until now in 9 weekend trips .

Maybe it's just I'm an amateur but it wasn't for lack of trying . We tried jigging , trolling but swimming seemed to produce the best results .

Last year and 2014 we moved many more rods and less fuel

Sorry , just feeling defeated there unlike other waters and species

Rich

Edited by Rich s

Co worker did 3 rd place finisher in fall LOC and placed well in other summer derbies ,has a port in fair haven . He was into fish every weekend . I'm not a derby fisher .

I have moved a rod 4 times out of Mexico from June until now in 9 weekend trips .

Maybe it's just I'm an amateur but it wasn't for lack of trying . We tried jigging , trolling but swimming seemed to produce the best results .

Last year and 2014 we moved many more rods and less fuel

Sorry , just feeling defeated there unlike other waters and species

Rich

I don't know if this makes you feel better or worse.....but this lake is just a stickler for details.  speed, color, set back, flourocarbon (debatable of course).  Feeding fish vs. staging fish.....ha ha well thats a different story.   When I was learning a long time ago I learned a lot of lessons I didn't understand until later unfortunately.  I say to myself a lot .....I wish I knew then what I know now lol.   You have a good attitude, nothing wrong with being frustrated. Every time I pump my chest up with a good series of trips....this lake makes sure to knock me back into reality ha ha.  Oh...and I've been "living the dream" in Mexico area for a long time.

Edited by Fat Trout

We landed a ton of salmon before LOC fall derby :yes: . Many more than prior years. Our biggest being just under 28# the week prior. The last week of derby we marked tons of fish in skinny water at first light but couldn't shake a rod. The only stable water we found was out deep from 31-35+ lines. Caught several steelhead but couldn't put any on the board. We boated multiple 9#+ fish but had multiple 10#+ come unbuttoned at the back of the boat only to watch them slowly swim away :hi: . Does anyone think the N/E winds mixing the water up with constant rushing current & lack of water flow out of the Oak might have had something to do with it?

I have a great attitude leading up to and while on the water out there . It only takes 1 is always my motto .

The area is great and the people are fantastic so that's what has brought me to the Great Lake for over 35 years .

I understand about details . I was a NYS wilderness camping , hunting and fishing guide for 11 years . Can tell you exactly where to cast for an Adirondack trophy stream trout , troll for a remote pond brook trout, sit on watch for that elusive buck to walk through or hook up with an ocean run spawning striped bass . All this takes skill and understanding of the quarry habitat.

I'm frustrated as all heck but not defeated , yet.

This season I lost my dedicated crew . Having a crew that knows how to effectively set and change gear as well as opperate the boat was a big loss this year .

Very tough to do this alone or with novice fishers as once it gets set it's usually there for awhile instead of changing .

Another delemia is knowing the movements and fishing the currents during the summer . I dislike fishing staging fish the most .

My wife says I always seem to fish the same water from Oswego to sandy pond . While the depths might vary , the patterns seem to stay the same . Honestly , I don't know what to change in that aspect .

Ah well, there is always this last 6 day gasp upcoming from Friday - wends then I will have all winter and spring to dream again .

Rich

We landed a ton of salmon before LOC fall derby :yes: . Many more than prior years. Our biggest being just under 28# the week prior. The last week of derby we marked tons of fish in skinny water at first light but couldn't shake a rod. The only stable water we found was out deep from 31-35+ lines. Caught several steelhead but couldn't put any on the board. We boated multiple 9#+ fish but had multiple 10#+ come unbuttoned at the back of the boat only to watch them slowly swim away :hi: . Does anyone think the N/E winds mixing the water up with constant rushing current & lack of water flow out of the Oak might have had something to do with it?

Absolutely! I have seen in July the water was stable and the fishing was fantastic on inside waters 150 to 200 feet. Then the big flip and after that big northeast blows and there has not been stable water since in that range most days I was out. I've had more weird speeds between the surface and down than any other time. Most of the time difference of 1.7 to 2.5 mph between the two. It led me to think something was wrong with the probe calibration but then the tangled rigger sets were proof of current, stuff wandering way off left or right. Worst was west of the Oak from Johnsons to Shadigee. East to west and running toward shore in more than 100 feet. More consistent water was in 500 or more., but pods of fish were scattered and spotty. Last Saturday the water off Shadigee was crazy fast like a river. I didn't even try to fish more than 30 minutes and gave up to go deeper. A buddy down towards glass house and flats did not have the same issue. Yes I believe the current is having a definite impact on numbers of fish, and fish ability in terms of running lures near a productive speed.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That stretch from Shagadee to Sandy Creek to Devil's Nose is known for crazy currents. The Scotch Bonnet rumble strip makes sure of that. If currents were worse it might explain why Brian found fish above and below their "preferred" temp range as the current was probably displacing them. One tidbit I have been paying attention to is the direction of the surface current arrows on the NOAA site. I am finding when the surface current arrows are pointing south matching the usual down current direction in Niagara county waters, that the unyielding force in one direction push pelagics closer to shore. Until fish latch onto a piece of dirt to stage on, they are at the whim of the lake currents.

The LOC fall derby had only 3 or 4 fish entered from Rochester to the Oak Orchard area for all 60 place fish divisions.

I understand the Salmon year classes change with stocking from previous years ect... but what about the larger browns and steelhead not present in the mid section of the lake ?

It's no shock. Summer derby may be the only option in the central basin. Lakers gone in the fall derby, bows gone in the spring and all that money going into the salmon division which is dominated on the west in the spring and the east in the fall. Not good odds if you ask me. This is why I don't push the derby anymore with my people. I ask, but don't push it.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

Had a great spring with the browns off the planner boards.

Couldn't boat a king, with 6 trips between July and mid August. Was depressing.

Now, making up for a bad summer, last few weeks we're hammering kings and it's a total confidence booster. Bites are short gotta make every bite count.

That stretch from Shagadee to Sandy Creek to Devil's Nose is known for crazy currents. The Scotch Bonnet rumble strip makes sure of that. If currents were worse it might explain why Brian found fish above and below their "preferred" temp range as the current was probably displacing them. One tidbit I have been paying attention to is the direction of the surface current arrows on the NOAA site. I am finding when the surface current arrows are pointing south matching the usual down current direction in Niagara county waters, that the unyielding force in one direction push pelagics closer to shore. Until fish latch onto a piece of dirt to stage on, they are at the whim of the lake currents.

The currents are worse down Wautoma to Braddocks Point.  This is the reason why the lakers sit on my one weigh point that is responsible for most of the slob lakers I have caught over the years. 

The currents are worse down Wautoma to Braddocks Point.  This is the reason why the lakers sit on my one weigh point that is responsible for most of the slob lakers I have caught over the years. 

Ya, I don't leave Niagara County if I don't have to so you would know better.  Now these waypoints with large lakers on them, what are those numbers again?

Ya, I don't leave Niagara County if I don't have to so you would know better.  Now these waypoints with large lakers on them, what are those numbers again?

I will sell you lake trout rigs and tell you how to use them but I will never give up two of my many weigh points!

Buying one of your lake trout rigs would falsely imply I target Lake Trout!  Bunch of hooey!  :puke:  :puke:

I have seen reports with spring lakers from Niagara county with your name on them!  I believe there were photos of dodgers and peanuts or spin n glows in them!  Don't make me do some digging!

I have seen reports with spring lakers from Niagara county with your name on them!  I believe there were photos of dodgers and peanuts or spin n glows in them!  Don't make me do some digging!

I am a ghost writer.  Nobody knows what I look like.

Rich s, when I was struggling I took took the fish doctor s on the water class . It cut the learning curve way down !

That is a good suggestion for sure .

Given this is open water trolling and not stream or structure related , what would be the biggest help in that aspect , in your opinion ?

1. Location

2. Presentation

3. Conditions

4. Habits ( example forage )

5. Confidence

Or all the above.

I have taken charter trips and it seems on those trips it is hit and miss but definitely a species target on results.

Surly I need to learn more and staging salmon fishing is not what I'm interested in from a price point .

Thank you all for the advice given

Rich

Rich S, if you want to tackle one of your categories "confidence" it helps to fish where the fish are.  You can get transitional slips in a lot of ports before the "real" boating season begins.  Try Olcott from March thru May if you can, then follow the fish East closer to home.

April -early June is not an option as we are putting ocean run fish out my back yard on the boat

post-155543-0-42295700-1473296343_thumb.jpeg ( grandson)

Many , many of these keep friends and family happy at that time of season so trolling the Great Lake is a passion I fill " between " seasons , winter , spring & fall.

Detail : humm .

I fish year round . Probaly 200 days or more when not in the woods . Married for 32 years .

Not sure how much more detail I can give but will take all the advice I can get :)

Thank you

Rich

post-155543-0-42306100-1473297182_thumb.jpeg ( son and grand daughter )

post-155543-0-27133100-1473297427_thumb.jpeg ( me :) )

I can say I had a great time its frustrating and exsiting. I'm me made 5 trips I fish out of bass boat. I pick my weekends. Been teaching myself. Picking up bit and pieces from this site. After first 2 day trip I got 3 browns and lost 2 kings I was hooked. Got my sister going now helps allot with steering and she loves it. Second trip caught 4 kings first day lost three. Day two caught 1 lost 1 got blown off by 11. Same for most trips wind is a pain I know what my boat can handle but scares my sister so I play nice. Last trip this weekend we worked hard put allot of time in caught 4 lost 4 sat caught 1 lost 4 on sunday and caught a brown,couldn't figure out why just come unhooked one straighten a hook other broke the leader on the fly. Yes would I like to go out and catch fish every time yes I spent a poop load of money motels, rods, tackle,gas,down riggers. Now I'm looking at another boat for lake o. But I have great electronics on my boat sister autopilot.I still want more.I enjoy the challenge of the fish and the lake trying to kick me off! And any second a downrigger rod will go off or dipsey rod can start screaming!!# that's why we all go!

I get what Brian says about detail. You can spend lots of time on the water and not do much catching if you're not paying attention to details...RichS: I'm not saying that's the case for you, just saying.

Unfortunately, I know that it is in fact the case personally. I love my time fishing and hunting, but it's about defocusing for me. I spend enough time sweating the details at work that I'd go nuts if I couldn't unwind at play. Of course, my friends probably think that I'm anal about details...they should work with me  :rofl:

I have enough experience to know that small changes to a pattern can make a big difference, but if I'm taking some shots my feeling is generally, "this is good enough for me". I know that I could catch more fish paying attention to small details. Brian has a unique ability to fine tune, be it trolling or ice fishing, and it pays off. For those who want to go the extra mile, climbing on board somebody's boat who is very successful and seeing what exactly they actually pay attention to can be a fantastic learning experience. Sometimes it's not just about recognizing he possibilities but about being able to prioritize the possibilities on the fly and dial it in that makes the difference between a good day and a great one.